Sean Taylor > Pat Tillman? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Sean Taylor > Pat Tillman?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Sean Taylor > Pat Tillman?

Postby Metroid » Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:33 pm

benb18a wrote:...He was killed by an enemy that he swore to seek and destroy...

Sure about that? ;-)
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Patchell » Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:55 pm

Tillman is 40,000 x a bigger hero than Sean Taylor. Taylor was accidentally shot in a home robbery, something that anyone of us could do. Tillman put his life on the line for freedom, something not all of us can do. Calling Taylor a hero is a bit much I think, especially when thousands of real heroes die every year so he could live out his outlandish lifestyle.
Patchell
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) DrafterMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby bagobonez » Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:32 pm

Patchell wrote:Tillman is 40,000 x a bigger hero than Sean Taylor. Taylor was accidentally shot in a home robbery, something that anyone of us could do. Tillman put his life on the line for freedom, something not all of us can do. Calling Taylor a hero is a bit much I think, especially when thousands of real heroes die every year so he could live out his outlandish lifestyle.

Well put. I don't see how being shot in your luxury home makes you a hero, especially when you lived the lifestyle of a thug (allegedly). Everyone's giving Taylor all of this credit and making him out to be this super nice guy just because he decided to take care of his kid. Big deal! Yeah it's great that you decided to own up and learn some responsibility, but shouldn't we all be doing that in the first place? It's like the family that has two kids, and one of them makes straight A's, and the other one is constantly getting C's and D's, and then there's the one time when the kid who makes C's and D's gets an A and suddenly there's a party thrown for him when the other kid has been making A's all along and never had a party thrown for him.

Everyone's arguments that Taylor gets more sympathy or media time because he was a better player is exactly the point I'm trying to make. Why should he? Was Marquise Hill's life not just as valuable? Why do we as a society put more value into someone's life because they're a better football player? That's the injustice I'm talking about and it makes me sick.
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby benb18a » Fri Dec 14, 2007 3:16 pm

I agree that Tillman is the bigger hero, definitely, but Taylor did successfully defend his family from harm/death, and paid the price for it. No matter how you look at it, he sacrificed himself for his loved ones, not a country full of ingrates who will spit and boo at him when he comes back anyway. Pat Tillman will be remembered by me as the pro football player who dropped his millionaire job to fight for freedom, and lost his life, along with thousands and thousands of other soldiers. Sean Taylor will be remembered by me as the guy who leveled the punter in the Pro Bowl, and the guy who picked Brett Favre off twice weeks before dying while protecting his family. Sean Taylor's former thug life didn't have anything to do with his death; any one of the pro athletes being robbed, for example the rash of NBA players lately, could have been killed also. Sean Taylor defended the freedom of his family, while Pat Tillman defended the freedom of...people who hate us and blow us up with suicide bombs.

The fact that, the more well known you are, the more coverage you get from the media upon death, is one that everybody just has to get used to. If a burglar broke into my house, and I defended my family with a machete and got shot to death, I wouldn't be all over national news for two weeks; that's just the way it is, oh well.

Thanks to eagles21 for the awesome sig :)

2011:

Representin' the Cafe in the IBL league: 73-34, 15-8 in Championship Tier playoffs
BBKL: 7-6
Money league: 9-4, #1 seed one and done
benb18a
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby benb18a » Fri Dec 14, 2007 3:18 pm

Metroid wrote:

Sure about that? ;-)

No, but he was killed in active duty. That should suffice :-b

Thanks to eagles21 for the awesome sig :)

2011:

Representin' the Cafe in the IBL league: 73-34, 15-8 in Championship Tier playoffs
BBKL: 7-6
Money league: 9-4, #1 seed one and done
benb18a
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby Metroid » Fri Dec 14, 2007 3:50 pm

benb18a wrote:
Metroid wrote:

Sure about that? ;-)

No, but he was killed in active duty. That should suffice :-b

Oh yeah totally, I wasn't trying to make this thread a debate about how Tillman was actually killed and yes he died in the line of duty that is all that matters. ;-D
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby eaglesrule » Fri Dec 14, 2007 4:13 pm

Well it seems like hero is being conflated here. Tillman was a hero, despite the fact that it was friendly fire. Taylor was a tragedy. In my opinion, one is more sad than the other. Tillman wanted to be in the line of fire, whereas Taylor was in his home. I don't think how the term hero does or doesn't apply in Taylor's case, as just because he wasn't in a position to be a "hero" doesn't make his death more noteworthy. I don't seriously hear the term thrown around that much in the Taylor discussions.

Actually, I think in some ways, it is the more newsworthy story from the point of view that he was murdered, rather than simply killed, by choosing to be in a situation where one logical conclusion of such a choice is death.

It's not up for debate that Tillman was a hero a) by volunteering in the first place, but b) what he voluntarily gave up. I bristle when people act like its no different than the others who have died. On one plane, yes, everyone is equal in worth. However, how those equal people come about making the decisions that bring them into those situations is decidedly not. I would be willing to bet a lot of people who would volunteer in their normal circumstances would sure as heck reconsider if they were in Tillman's shoes. I think he is a true hero, whereas Taylor was simply a victim. However the vice versa of it is that in terms directly leading to their death's, Taylor was "innocent" whereas Tillman wasn't in the sense that he voluntarily chose his danger.
The opening scene of the movie "Saving Private Ryan" is loosely based on games of dodgeball Brian Dawkins played in second grade.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Previous

Return to Football Talk