New Jersey abolishes death penalty - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

New Jersey abolishes death penalty

Moderator: Football Moderators

New Jersey abolishes death penalty

Postby stomperrob » Fri Dec 14, 2007 3:48 am

N.J. Lawmakers Vote to Ban Death Penalty
Friday, December 14, 2007 2:57:15 AM
By TOM HESTER Jr.

New Jersey will become the first state in four decades to abolish the death penalty under a measure lawmakers approved Thursday and the governor intends to sign within days.

Assembly members voted 44-36 to replace the death sentence with life in prison without parole. The state Senate approved the bill Monday, and Gov. Jon S. Corzine, a Democrat, has said he will sign the bill within a week.

A special state commission found in January that the death penalty was a more expensive sentence than life in prison, hasn't deterred murder and risks killing an innocent person.

"We would be better served as a society by having a clear and certain outcome for individuals that carry out heinous crimes," Corzine said. "That's what I think we're doing, making certain that individuals would be imprisoned without any possibility of parole."

The measure would spare eight men on the state's death row, including Jesse Timmendequas, a sex offender convicted of murdering 7-year-old Megan Kanka in 1994. That case sparked a Megan's Law, which requires law enforcement agencies to notify the public about convicted sex offenders living in their communities.

Marilyn Flax, whose husband Irving was kidnapped and murdered in 1989 by death row inmate John Martini Sr., said she seethes at the thought Martini will remain alive "while my innocent, loving, adoring husband lies in a grave."

"I feel the system has spit on me, has slapped me and I am fuming," Flax said.

Republicans said that's why they opposed the bill.

Assemblyman Richard Merkt said the bill was "a victory for murderers and rapists."

"It does not benefit families. It does not benefit New Jersey society. It does not benefit justice," he said.

Senate Republicans had sought to retain the death penalty for those who murder law enforcement officials, rape and murder children, and terrorists, but the Senate rejected the idea.

Democrats control the Legislature.

Although New Jersey reinstated the death penalty in 1982, six years after the U.S. Supreme Court allowed states to resume executions, no one has been executed in the Garden State since 1963.

The last states to eliminate the death penalty were Iowa and West Virginia in 1965, according to the National Coalition to Abolish the Death Penalty.

New Jersey has been barred from executing anyone under a 2004 court ruling that determined the state had to revise procedures on how the penalty would be imposed; It never did.

Among those who have been executed in New Jersey are Bruno Richard Hauptmann, who was executed in 1936 for the kidnapping and murder of aviator Charles Lindbergh's son.

The nation has executed 1,099 people since the U.S. Supreme Court reauthorized the death penalty in 1976. In 1999, 98 people were executed, the most since 1976; last year 53 people were executed, the lowest since 1996.

Other states have considered abolishing the death penalty recently, but none has advanced as far as New Jersey. According to the Washington-based Death Penalty Information Center, 37 states have the death penalty.

Bills to abolish the death penalty were recently approved by a Colorado House committee, the Montana Senate and the New Mexico House. But none of those bills has advanced.

The nation's last execution was Sept. 25 in Texas. Since then, executions have been delayed pending a U.S. Supreme Court decision on whether execution through lethal injection violates the constitutional ban on cruel and unusual punishment.

Missouri Gov. Matt Blunt proposed legislation on Thursday allowing the death sentence for people convicted of forcibly raping or sodomizing a child younger than 12.

The state currently allows the death penalty only for people convicted of first-degree murder. But Missouri hasn't executed anyone since October 2005 because of a legal challenge to its method of lethal injection.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but could this not be construed as "cruel and unusual punishment" by the Supreme Court being that most people consider living in New Jersey a fate worse than death???
;-) :-b
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: New Jersey abolishes death penalty

Postby Madison » Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:54 am

Stuff like this just flat disgusts me, and ticks me off. I wasn't going to comment on it, but I've got a big mouth and there's one thing I have to say...

A special state commission found in January that the death penalty was a more expensive sentence than life in prison, hasn't deterred murder and risks killing an innocent person.

Although New Jersey reinstated the death penalty in 1982, six years after the U.S. Supreme Court allowed states to resume executions, no one has been executed in the Garden State since 1963.

And you idiots wonder why it doesn't work? Whoever was on that commission has got to have the IQ of a Pro Wings sneaker. You can "threaten" to do things all you want, but if you never follow through with it, it's pointless. Idle threats don't do any good. Morons. :-t

Granted, no state actually uses the death penalty as it should, so all of the numbers nationwide are skewed by the "idle threat", but this is way beyond stupid. :-t

I am the Reaper of Men,
The Chaser of Souls,
The Weaver of Nightmares,
I am The Heart of Darkness.
I now, and ever will be,
The Purity of Evil.
Madison
Lord of Darkness
Lord of Darkness

ExecutiveMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberMatchup Meltdown ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby moonhead » Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:34 am

pretty sure we've had this discussion before and there's no evidence to support the death penalty actually deterring murder. there's probably no evidence to the other side either. as far as being definitive. but you know what makes me sick? blood lust.
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:58 am

moonhead wrote:pretty sure we've had this discussion before and there's no evidence to support the death penalty actually deterring murder. there's probably no evidence to the other side either. as far as being definitive. but you know what makes me sick? justice.

Fixed that for you. :-D ;-)
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby moonhead » Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:05 am

Omaha Red Sox wrote:
moonhead wrote:pretty sure we've had this discussion before and there's no evidence to support the death penalty actually deterring murder. there's probably no evidence to the other side either. as far as being definitive. but you know what makes me sick? justice.

Fixed that for you. :-D ;-)

you're effing high to think that killing someone is justice.
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby scottaa1 » Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:13 am

Q: Why are New Yorkers so angry?

A: Because the light at the end of their tunnel is Jersey.

Re: the death penalty, I think there are some people that the world would be better off without. How that's handled isn't my decision and I'm glad about that.
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)

Postby Sandrock » Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:13 am

Justice isn't the right word. Vengeance or revenge seems more fitting for this case.
Sandrock
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby moonhead » Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:16 am

Sandrock wrote:Justice isn't the right word. Vengeance or revenge seems more fitting for this case.

:good posting:

/batman begins
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Metroid » Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:25 am

moonhead wrote:
Sandrock wrote:Justice isn't the right word. Vengeance or revenge seems more fitting for this case.

:good posting:

/batman begins

I just watched that yesterday. ;-D
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby deerayfan072 » Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:00 pm

Not even going to comment. Everyone here knows where I stand and how i feel about this happening.
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Next

Return to General Talk