Westbrook screws owners - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Game Commentary, Cheering & Venting

Westbrook screws owners

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Westbrook screws owners

Postby Axl's Army » Tue Dec 18, 2007 5:32 pm

[quote and it also makes your defense take the field, which increases the chances of injury.[/quote]

That is the smartest thing said about this.

BTW - my opponent had Westy & I won by less than 6 points. Thanks Westy!!! ;-D

Yo Mama is so fat . . .
Axl's Army
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Football

Postby jasonhightower » Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:25 pm

I have a buddy who is out $2,000 due to Westbrook's antics. I hate to say it but he did the right thing... no matter how much it costs us armchair QB's...
jasonhightower
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

(Past Year: 6)

Postby Yggdrasil » Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:23 am

I still call BS.

If your defense can't take the field and help win the game for you regardless of injuries and other nonsensical explanations given above, then your team blows. Not scoring a TD is just idiotic! Is this REALLy the sort of team that is going to be Super Bowl bound?! Of course not as we are all witnessing. Are the Eagles really so pussy that they were afraid of some last minute comeback? Roll the dice and play the game instead of coaching/playing to "not lose."

This is a team disintegrating before our very eyes. If not for Westbrook, there is NO Eagle offense anyway. McDagNabbitt is on the downslope of his career and there are no marqee WRs to speak of since TO left. Andy Reid is toast. Westbrook should demand a trade to a real team with potential.

Please stop making lame excuses for a really skewed call. It was historically, no--epically RETARDED. We'll be talking about this stupidity 20 years from now.
Yggdrasil
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby Yggdrasil » Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:31 am

eaglesrule wrote:(don't argue, as a team can't score if it doesn't hold the ball, unless it's safety, which wouldn't be yielded here)

You had me up until this comment.

Is a safety the ONLY way a defense can score?

Duh, no.

Stop defending the indefensible stupidity of the descending Iggles. This was just another display of WHY they stink. Horrible, fraidy cat play calling. See you at the bottom of the division. :-S
Yggdrasil
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:45 am

If my memory is correct, the Eagles won this game. :-?
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby treat24 » Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:21 am

Yggdrasil wrote:Please stop making lame excuses for a really skewed call. It was historically, no--epically RETARDED. We'll be talking about this stupidity 20 years from now.

Every media source is calling it great and classy and selfless. That's what people will be talking about 20 years from now. ;-D
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I'm drinking 'til I forget the 1999 NFC Championship game.

Postby eaglesrule » Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:41 am

Yggdrasil wrote:
eaglesrule wrote:(don't argue, as a team can't score if it doesn't hold the ball, unless it's safety, which wouldn't be yielded here)

You had me up until this comment.

Is a safety the ONLY way a defense can score?

Yes, the only way you can score if a player doesn't hold the ball is through a safety. This isn't that hard. A defense can recover the ball and score, but then they would be HOLDING the ball. the ONLY was one can score without the ball is through a safety. You deny them the ball, they can't score. Best defense is a good offense for a reason.

Duh, no.

Stop defending the indefensible stupidity of the descending Iggles. This was just another display of WHY they stink. Horrible, fraidy cat play calling. See you at the bottom of the division. :-S

so they had one bad year, which was a bit fluky considering they were in the top ten in offense and defense, had the best defense in the division in terms of points allowed, and lost to the giants, packers, patriots and seahawks by combined 13 points, one year removed from winning the division, and five time division champ this decade with a bowl appearance--they sure "stink". They had a down year, and they aren't good, because good teams don't lost that many close ones, but its a ridiculous statement too.

It's not "fraidy cat" it was one of the smartest plays in a long time. there is an incredibly fine line between valor and stupidity--and giving the o the ball and letting the "defense handle its business" is machismo at its worst, and its just not a wise play. And while you aren't stupid, (not name calling) I think your analysis of this situation is.

How is it fraidy cat ball to take a 100 percent chance of winning, versus less than 100 percent by scoring? It's a fact. If someone can show me an example of a fumbled kneel down, where it wasn't only just fumbled, but recovered by the defense then we can talk. But even if one COULD find an example or two of that, wouldn't offset the countless wacky comebacks that happen EVERY year, and Dallas was a part of one this year, and the Jets part of another.

Fact of the matter is, fumbles simply don't happen on kneel downs, and its not fraidy anything. You guarantee the win, shorten the game, keep your defense from getting back on the field. They did a magnificent job that afternoon, but no need to risk them getting hurt, or losing the game. To argue anything otherwise is really, really silly, and I would not be surprised to see this happen more often moving forward.

Sorry you disagree, but this debate isn't subjective opinion like most are here, the benefits far outweigh the negatives (the only two being realated to "manhood" or some absurdly unlikely scenario of a fumble recovery. Remember, if the time was misjudged, the still had first and goal at the one) to such a degree its just being purposely difficult.

One final note, this isn't the first time something similar has happened, (or its exact opposite) and I explained some of those lessons to you. How is that different than a team letting the opposition score? The broncos let the pack score to get the ball back. This kind of move is a preemption of this, which is why its genious. Where is the manhood in that? Was it "fraidy cat" to develop the forward pass rather than playing wishbone or something? I just don't get your position, and almost no one agrees with you, because it was in fact smart, and you need to remember not every bit of strategy has been mastered.
The opening scene of the movie "Saving Private Ryan" is loosely based on games of dodgeball Brian Dawkins played in second grade.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:46 am

treat24 wrote:
Yggdrasil wrote:Please stop making lame excuses for a really skewed call. It was historically, no--epically RETARDED. We'll be talking about this stupidity 20 years from now.

Every media source is calling it great and classy and selfless. That's what people will be talking about 20 years from now. ;-D

Exactly. It was one of the smartest plays I have seen in the NFL.

What would have been retarded is if Westy scored and then the Cowboys with 2 minutes left somehow won the game. 10 points has been scored in less time in the past. Why take chances.

The only people who think this was an idiotic move are the fantasy football players who were effected.

We need more players like Westy. ;-D Afterall he is the one responsible for my Avatar. Well him and the stout D that showed up for Philly.
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 79)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Postby Guru13 » Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:13 am

my dad was playing against westbrook and when he first broke away he was cussing and kickin' and screaming and then he fell down at the one and there was complete silence, it was hysterical. :-b
Guru13
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Guru13 » Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:15 am

Cowboys 4 life wrote:
treat24 wrote:

Exactly. It was one of the smartest plays I have seen in the NFL.

What would have been retarded is if Westy scored and then the Cowboys with 2 minutes left somehow won the game. 10 points has been scored in less time in the past. Why take chances.

The only people who think this was an idiotic move are the fantasy football players who were effected.

We need more players like Westy. ;-D Afterall he is the one responsible for my Avatar. Well him and the stout D that showed up for Philly.

that is quite a shnazzy avatar you got there. :-b ;-D
Guru13
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Previous

Return to Game Commentary, Cheering & Venting