Question on Police Scanners - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Question on Police Scanners

Moderator: Football Moderators

Question on Police Scanners

Postby woodson_28 » Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:53 pm

I just moved to a new town and I live about two blocks from the police department and about 30 miles from a "major city". I don't live in a "bad" area, but I can hear the cops leaving just about every night with their sirens blaring. I told a few friends about the problem, and they suggested picking up a police scanner, that way I would have a general idea of what's going on. I've read that owning a police scanner is not illegal, as long as you don't listen to cell phone signals, or blah, blah ...just listening is legal.

My question is: would I police scanner be appropriate for this situation - just curious about what's going on - (I had my car broken into a couple weeks ago). And can anybody suggest a good scanner that would serve this basic purpose? Or a good brand.
woodson_28
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Question on Police Scanners

Postby scottaa1 » Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:08 pm

a scanner probably wouldn't do much more then keeping you up at night listening to it.
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Madison » Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:57 am

scottaa1 wrote:a scanner probably wouldn't do much more then keeping you up at night listening to it.

Agreed. If anything big happens, it should be on the local news channels. Otherwise, it's just routine stuff (911 calls, etc.) and you'll wind up staying up listening to it all instead of sleeping.

I am the Reaper of Men,
The Chaser of Souls,
The Weaver of Nightmares,
I am The Heart of Darkness.
I now, and ever will be,
The Purity of Evil.
Madison
Lord of Darkness
Lord of Darkness

ExecutiveMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberMatchup Meltdown ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby whodey#9 » Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:01 am

Madison wrote:
scottaa1 wrote:a scanner probably wouldn't do much more then keeping you up at night listening to it.

Agreed. If anything big happens, it should be on the local news channels. Otherwise, it's just routine stuff (911 calls, etc.) and you'll wind up staying up listening to it all instead of sleeping.

ahh dont worry about it, your already awake from the sirens you might as well know what they are making all the noise for. ;-D
whodey#9
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby joelamosobadiah » Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:59 pm

MEH, if you're already up, like somebody said, might as well know what's going on. Personally they are pretty fun to listen to. Our old neighbor was a sheriff and his wife always had the scanner on and it was fun listening to it.
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby houstonherdfan » Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:15 pm

Man, those things are as adicktive as drugs. If you do get one then you will be turning down the TV, Radio or what ever when you here something coming across the scanner. You will end up trying to find out what the special chips are for the tactical channels becuase they are the more active channels.
You could think of government workers like teenagers. You pay them an allowance, but do you get any work out them? They eat the food, put their feet on the furniture and complain loudly whenever they are unhappy.
houstonherdfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Sweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 5)

Postby SniperShot » Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:29 pm

I have a scanner I programmed in the top 7 or 8 local police darpment frequencies and I'll say I've heard some pretty freaking sweet stuff. Fairfax county (Suburb 30 minutes west of Wash DC) has some pretty crazy people I'll say that. I've heard everything from drug busts to "Suspect running, requesting backup."

except it was something more like "10-39 requesting 10-51" because they talk in freaking codes all the time. I printed up a list of all the basic codes they use so any time I hear elevated voices jabbering strings of codes I attempt to follow along... Too bad that only happens once in a great while though. (lol I shouldn't be complaining- here I am wishing for more crime in my area)

It's good stuff. If I ever go into law enforcement I'll have a step in knowing the codes they use and the phonetic alphabet.

"Niner-Tango-Foxtrot is requesting a 15-36!"

"10-4! 10-4!"

"We have a possible 4-20 here." :-]

Dang I need to dust this scanner off it's been too long, now I'm all psyched again.
SniperShot
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 14)

Postby Madison » Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:15 am

SniperShot wrote:I have a scanner

Sniper's the creepy old guy staring out the window through his blinds with binoculars 24 hours a day with a cell phone in one ear while listening to the scanner in the other one. :-b

;-) :-D

I am the Reaper of Men,
The Chaser of Souls,
I now, and ever will be,
The Purity of Evil.
Madison
Lord of Darkness
Lord of Darkness

ExecutiveMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberMatchup Meltdown ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby SniperShot » Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:02 am

Madison wrote:

Sniper's the creepy old guy staring out the window through his blinds with binoculars 24 hours a day with a cell phone in one ear while listening to the scanner in the other one. :-b

Seriously I'm like that creepy dude in disturbia.

But really, I do have binocs. I wouldn't say I spend 24 hours a day looking though my blinds maybe just 3 or 4, :-b I set up a couple 24/7 webcams around my house that stream video and take a picture every 15 seconds and upload to a computer. I also set up an inferred perimeter 150 yards in every direction from my house so I can detect body heat and motion when people near my house...

I joke, I joke. :-D
SniperShot
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 14)

Postby Madison » Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:45 pm

SniperShot wrote:
Madison wrote:

Seriously I'm like that creepy dude in disturbia.

But really, I do have binocs. I wouldn't say I spend 24 hours a day looking though my blinds maybe just 3 or 4, :-b I set up a couple 24/7 webcams around my house that stream video and take a picture every 15 seconds and upload to a computer. I also set up an inferred perimeter 150 yards in every direction from my house so I can detect body heat and motion when people near my house...

I joke, I joke. :-D

Uh-Huh, I'm sure you're joking. ;-7

:-b ;-)

I am the Reaper of Men,
The Chaser of Souls,
I now, and ever will be,
The Purity of Evil.
Madison
Lord of Darkness
Lord of Darkness

Next

Return to General Talk