IS THIS FAIR~~ OPINION NEEDED URGENTLY!! - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Game Commentary, Cheering & Venting

IS THIS FAIR~~ OPINION NEEDED URGENTLY!!

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: IS THIS FAIR~~ OPINION NEEDED URGENTLY!!

Postby quitesanemax » Thu Dec 20, 2007 3:23 pm

I wrote a long post, but lost it cause I was forced to log in again. How frustrating!! It then did that to me again, but that time I was smart enough to copy it before I submitted the post.

Basically #2 only applies to the regular season. If there was the same thing written for tiebreakers in #3, then I can see going in afterward and changing it. As it is, since there isn't, you should go by ESPN rules from before the playoffs started. JMO.

I think it would have been a good idea, jhill, if you had clarified when you read that house rule at the beginning of the season, knowing there were so many that were new to ff. But everyone in the league had access to ESPN rules, and could have found out for themselves. In the end it is the responsibility of the Commish, and he blew it. Maybe someone who has no experience with ff shouldn't be commishing a league...

My suggestion: Both of you make a post on your league message board explaining why you feel the rule should go your way. Both of you seem to think you have the support of the majority. Afterward ask the rest of the league to take a vote. Their vote should be posted so everyone can see it. Any tiebreaker should be decided by the Commish. Whatever the decision ends up being, you both should live with it. Next year fix that in the house rules.

Ahill, I really believe it is just a misunderstanding, and you should try and work this out instead of just quitting. Anyway, thats my 2 cents worth... if its worth that much. Good luck!
quitesanemax
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby CBMGreatOne » Thu Dec 20, 2007 3:43 pm

Ok, so as I understand, the league members were surprised to see that JHill's team advanced and not the other team. The commissioner had sent a league email with the rules that said that ties were resolved by cumulative bench points. These are the rules for the regular season, and the commish was probably essentially copying the listed settings from the league rules page. It is interesting to note, however, that every team could have hypothetically viewed the league rules page and seen that the tiebreaker is resolved differently in the postseason.

Suppose I were in a league with default tiebreaker scoring before and I knew that the higher seed advanced in the case of a tie. I would then not have been surprised to see that JHill advanced instead of his opponent. For me, the league rules would have been available all season, so I would have known that I need not do something trivial like put all QBs on my bench to win a tiebreaker. Whether or not the league rules were understood by the league members is secondary to the fact that they were publically available, established ahead of time, and only changed retroactively IMHO. And even if one were to split hairs with me on that, they would have to agree that, at the very least, JHill has a valid complaint.

Perhaps you could do a three team championship game, simply awarding the scorers in order from most to least points (with a well understood tiebreaker :-] ). Maybe include an incentive clause for the loser of the other semifinal to win some more money if they outscore other finalists since they no longer have a chance to play the third place game?
CBMGreatOne
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 11)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:51 pm

I say you have a 3 team battle royal for the title.

I cannot take a side here. Both points are valid.

It was bench points at the beginning of the season and automatically change for playoffs. The ESPN rules are kind of screwey to change it automatically. That should have to be done manually. The commish did not know this so is he really at fault? In my opinion no. I feel if the league was intended to have bench points as the tie breaker and the rules changed without the commish knkowing then they should be changed back to what they originally were.

I can also see Jhill's side. He moved on to the SB and according to the league rules at that time he won the tie breaker. Anyone in that position is going to argue his stance.

I think you got to do a 3 man battle royal here.
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 87)
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Postby MeteoriteGuy » Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:03 pm

Sorry for both your problems, it doesn't appear to have been done in spite or the like so I hope no one quites ff because of this.

That said, I like the 3-man battle ideal as well.
MeteoriteGuy
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby jhill@esurg.com » Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:32 am

Thanks to all who replied to my post... Fortunately, with everyone's help we were able to come up with a 3 way playoff solution. It was challenging- however, here is how it broke down:

Winner of the other game who was in regardless can obviously finish no lower than second regardless of his score. In exchange for taking more risk and battling two players his gauranteed money is $25 more if he finished second. He wins he gets the original first place place. If either of the other two players finish first, they take a reduced first place price ($25 less than the original first place prize.) regardless, the lower of the two teams will then play the 4th place team for the 3rd and 4th place prices. So AVdub and I could finish anywhere from 1st to 4th.... and since Willy Parker decided to go an break his leg last night- things aren't looking good for me.

Thanks again and everyone out their have a Merry Christmas- including you Chris.
jhill@esurg.com
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Sat Dec 22, 2007 11:25 am

jhill@esurg.com wrote:Thanks to all who replied to my post... Fortunately, with everyone's help we were able to come up with a 3 way playoff solution. It was challenging- however, here is how it broke down:

Winner of the other game who was in regardless can obviously finish no lower than second regardless of his score. In exchange for taking more risk and battling two players his gauranteed money is $25 more if he finished second. He wins he gets the original first place place. If either of the other two players finish first, they take a reduced first place price ($25 less than the original first place prize.) regardless, the lower of the two teams will then play the 4th place team for the 3rd and 4th place prices. So AVdub and I could finish anywhere from 1st to 4th.... and since Willy Parker decided to go an break his leg last night- things aren't looking good for me.

Thanks again and everyone out their have a Merry Christmas- including you Chris.

Good deal.

I think you hit the nail on the head with your solution. Perfect actually.
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 87)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Previous

Return to Game Commentary, Cheering & Venting