Return to General Talk

New Vette unveiled

Moderator: Football Moderators

New Vette unveiled

Postby stomperrob » Thu Dec 20, 2007 12:21 am

Wednesday, December 19, 2007
Review: 2009 'Vette will put a smile on your face
Scott Burgess / The Detroit News

This is one mean machine. General Motors Corp. on Wednesday took the wraps off the much-anticipated 2009 Chevrolet Corvette ZR1 -- the fastest production vehicle ever built by GM.

The new 'Vette will be showcased next month at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit. It won't come cheap when it hits the market next year: The price tag is expected to be just under $100,000.

The 620-horsepower limited-edition Corvette is based on the performance Z06 Corvette, but better. Under its carbon fiber hood is GM's new LS9 engine -- eight cylinders of pure supercharged power.

The 6.2-liter small block uses a sixth-generation Eaton supercharger to crank out 585 pound-feet of torque. That torque helps the ZR1 fly from zero to 60 mph in 3.7 seconds.

Tom Stephens, GM North America vice president of Powertrain, said the ZR1 accelerates more like a motorcycle than a car.

"This was the first time I have driven a car that gives me that sport motorcycle feeling," said Stephens. "You can't help but get out of it with a smile on your face."

The technical details of the aluminum LS9 boggle the mind. The 12.5 quart dry-sump oiling system is able to keep the engine lubricated at more than 200 mph. The titanium connecting rods, four-layer steel head gaskets and forged aluminum pistons all help create this power plant.

Those are the details the gearheads will relish.

Everyone else will just love the way it blasts off, handles and looks

"You've got an engine here that puts out like a race car engine, but better," Stephens said.

Without dramatically changing the overall shape of the Z06 -- the front carbon-fiber fenders with ZR1 twin vents were widened to accommodate the 19-inch wheels there -- designers were able to toughen up an already mean-looking racer.

"There is nothing subtle about the ZR1," said Kirk Bennion, exterior design manager. "It is a car that isn't shy about its capability."

While the front fascia is shared with the Z06, the brake cooling ducts were revised to keep the 15.5-inch carbon-ceramic front rotors cool.

The ZR1 features exposed carbon fiber pieces on its roof, rocker moldings and front splitter. They serve a unique cosmetic purpose and also reduce the weight of the vehicle to enhance performance.

Two versions of the ZR1 will be available when it goes on sale next summer: A base model outfitted like a ZO6 and an upgraded interior package that includes unique power-adjusted leather sport seats and Bluetooth connectivity.

Luv that American muscle!!! ;-D ;-D
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: New Vette unveiled

Postby beanoX3 » Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:15 am

This isn't a re-design for a new Corvette though. It's just a limited production tuner like a Saleen Mustang.

Looks meaner than a regular Corvette though. ;-D
The cake is a lie.
beanoX3
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby scottaa1 » Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:26 am

620 horses... my car has 170 :-t

the big question is, does it fix erectile dysfunction?
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)

Postby 1crzydmnd » Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:33 am

Me wants one! One of these years I'm either gonna have a Vette or a Shelby 'Stang in my garage. Too bad gas will be $10/gallon by that time. :-t
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day" - Confucius' redneck brother
1crzydmnd
General Manager
General Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 19)

Postby stomperrob » Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:36 am

beanoX3 wrote:This isn't a re-design for a new Corvette though. It's just a limited production tuner like a Saleen Mustang.

Except Saleen isn't owned by Ford whereas this is a GM produced vehicle, limited though it may be.
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Postby beanoX3 » Thu Dec 20, 2007 12:11 pm

stomperrob wrote:
beanoX3 wrote:This isn't a re-design for a new Corvette though. It's just a limited production tuner like a Saleen Mustang.

Except Saleen isn't owned by Ford whereas this is a GM produced vehicle, limited though it may be.

Maybe I should have used SVT as an example then. :-b
The cake is a lie.
beanoX3
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Thu Dec 20, 2007 4:26 pm

Looks a little thicker than some previous models...
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby Madison » Thu Dec 20, 2007 7:24 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:Looks a little thicker than some previous models...

So you're saying it's fat? 8-o

Or do you mean phat? :-b

I am the Reaper of Men,
The Chaser of Souls,
The Weaver of Nightmares,
I am The Heart of Darkness.
I now, and ever will be,
The Purity of Evil.
Madison
Lord of Darkness
Lord of Darkness

ExecutiveMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberMatchup Meltdown ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby joelamosobadiah » Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:17 pm

scottaa1 wrote:620 horses... my car has 170 :-t

the big question is, does it fix erectile dysfunction?

Omaha Red Sox wrote:Looks a little thicker than some previous models...

I'm not going there.... but.... hey, it is there.... O:-)

Just saying..... :-B

Anyway, I saw a deal on TV about this today and it does sound like a sweet car, but yeah, not really the kind of guy to drop 100 G's on a car.... or anything for that matter, but would definitely drop it on a house first. :-b
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Jimboozie » Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:32 pm

I want one. :-L
Jimboozie Beginner
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Next

Return to General Talk