Fanball's Top 10 RBs for 2008 - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Fanball's Top 10 RBs for 2008

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Fanball's Top 10 RBs for 2008

Postby Humpback » Tue Dec 25, 2007 12:48 pm

How is Gore a gamble but Brown is a top 10 lock? Doesn't make any sense- Brown has yet to play a full season in the NFL and is coming off of a major injury, not to mention probably a new coaching staff. I like him, but he's no lock. Same with MBIII- this past week was the ONLY week this entire season he's had 20 carries. Lately he hasn't been breaking 10 in a game. You have to like what you see, but he's never carried a full load (including in college), and we don't know what Dallas is going to do in FA or the draft at RB. I'd put both of these guys in the bottom of the top 10 right now, but they could be higher depending on what happens in the offseason. LT, SJax, AP, Addai and Westy are my top 5 and who I think have the fewest question marks. I could see as many as 15 other RBs finish out the top 10 depending on what happens.
14 Teams, each keep 14 players
QB: P. Manning, Schaub
RB: MJD, Westy, C. Johnson, A. Bradshaw, J. Ringer
WR: TO, Driver, J. Gage, Crabtree, J. Morgan, K. Curtis, E. Bennett, M. Sims-Walker
TE: Witten, M. Lewis
K: Gostkowski, J. Brown
D/ST: Tenn, NE
Humpback
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Free Bagel » Tue Dec 25, 2007 3:54 pm

I just hope I don't end up with the #6 pick next year...

Although I suppose it could work out if someone reaches for Brady ahead of you, at which point keep away from that #7 pick.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby 011472 » Wed Dec 26, 2007 5:33 pm

I'm surprised to see no support from Fanball for Portis. He's currently the fifth ranked rb in my league, and finishes the year healthy and with 1500 total yards and 10 touchdowns. He probably no longer has the ceiling to touch the top 5, but he consistently finishes with top 10 numbers.

LT
Westy
Peterson
Addai
Jackson
Barber
Portis
McGahee
Parker
Gore
Head Coach
Head Coach

Matchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Azrael » Wed Dec 26, 2007 6:03 pm

I agree Portis has had a very good year for having his Oline decimated. He's right up in there after the top 5.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby mikus » Wed Dec 26, 2007 6:44 pm

Just glancing at this, but I think Adrian Peterson is set up for a big letdown next year. Sophomore slump anyone?
Thanks to madaslives911 for the sweet sig!
The Hazean: Fantasy football galore
mikus
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Location: Same place as every other blogger: My Mom's basement. That is where bloggers work, right?

Postby The Lung » Thu Dec 27, 2007 4:41 pm

Yea, I'd have to agree that Portis on only one list is an egregious omission. He'll likely finish the year with over 1200+ yards rushing, 360+ yards receiving, and 9 rushing TDs. Even as a Steelers fan, I would take Portis over Willie Parker in a heartbeat.
(~);}

(~);}
The Lung

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 72)

Postby LS2throwed » Thu Dec 27, 2007 4:49 pm

Humpback wrote:How is Gore a gamble but Brown is a top 10 lock? Doesn't make any sense- Brown has yet to play a full season in the NFL and is coming off of a major injury, not to mention probably a new coaching staff. I like him, but he's no lock. Same with MBIII- this past week was the ONLY week this entire season he's had 20 carries. Lately he hasn't been breaking 10 in a game. You have to like what you see, but he's never carried a full load (including in college), and we don't know what Dallas is going to do in FA or the draft at RB. I'd put both of these guys in the bottom of the top 10 right now, but they could be higher depending on what happens in the offseason. LT, SJax, AP, Addai and Westy are my top 5 and who I think have the fewest question marks. I could see as many as 15 other RBs finish out the top 10 depending on what happens.

I can tell you right now as far as Dallas' off season, it wont include resigning Julius...granted your right we dont know where they are going in the draft, but for a guy who has been racking up double digit tds year after year, making the pro bowl in a contract year and getting alot more carries, you can only imagine his role is still going to be a focal part of the offense...worst case scenario right now for Barbers value is the Cowboys trade up for Mcfadden, and even then Barber would still be as valuable as he was this year, which was still a top 10 rb...If Dallas takes Felix Jones, Mendenhall, or any other back other then Run DMC Barber will be the primary rb and he's well earned it, the offensive line, team, and city really loves the guy and everyone including the organization wants to give him his fair shot at being a great rb...

No he has never carries a full load but why is that always a negative?? He hasnt been worn into the ground either, and he hasnt had a significant injury since he has been drafted, while look how long guys like Brandon Jacobs last, its been 3 straight years of Barber not getting knicked up *knocks on wood*

Im sure other feature backs will and probably should be drafted ahead of him, but with Dallas offensive line with 3 pro bowlers on it, and the way Garrett loves to spread the ball around, a back like Barber is too valuable 2 pass up being that he catches out of the backfield, and is great in goal line situations, and hasnt missed a game since his rookie yr
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby Humpback » Thu Dec 27, 2007 9:59 pm

LS2, I'm actually a Cowboys fan, so I'm pretty up to date with the team, although I try not to let homerism enter my FF play. I really like Barber, but the fact remains that Jerry could easily fall in love with McFadden and give up the farm to get him, making Barber even less valuable than this season. Barber himself is a RFA, so it's a possibility that another team signs him away from Dallas- not a likely scenario because of the draft picks they'd have to give up to do it, but still a slight possibility. I'd actually say signing F. Jones, Mendenhall, or another back would make Barber at BEST as valuable as this season- (I like several RBs in the draft better than JJ). The full load isn't always a negative, but it is always a question mark. NFL RBs take more of a pounding than almost anyone, so until someone proves that they can take that pounding week after week, it's an unknown.

Anyway, I said I'd have him in the bottom of my top 10 right now, but just too many question marks to be any higher at this point. I was just correcting what you said about him having 20 carries a game lately, when last week was his only game with 20+.
14 Teams, each keep 14 players
QB: P. Manning, Schaub
RB: MJD, Westy, C. Johnson, A. Bradshaw, J. Ringer
WR: TO, Driver, J. Gage, Crabtree, J. Morgan, K. Curtis, E. Bennett, M. Sims-Walker
TE: Witten, M. Lewis
K: Gostkowski, J. Brown
D/ST: Tenn, NE
Humpback
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby Free Bagel » Thu Dec 27, 2007 11:43 pm

Eh, I owned Portis this year and he rode the bench in the playoffs even in a flex league (start up to 3 RBs). I can't imagine relying on him to be my RB1, at the expense of a first round pick, and still fielding a competitive team.

The numbers are there, it just seems like week to week he's been frustrating to watch.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby 011472 » Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:34 pm

Free Bagel wrote:Eh, I owned Portis this year and he rode the bench in the playoffs .

So did I, but remember that week 16 was Minnesota. But I know what you mean. He had some of his best performances from my bench. But somehow the numbers added up for Portis and I can't ignore that because they add up every year.
Head Coach
Head Coach

Matchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk