Fanball's Top 10 RBs for 2008 - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Fanball's Top 10 RBs for 2008

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Fanball's Top 10 RBs for 2008

Postby Humpback » Tue Jan 01, 2008 7:26 pm

I'm assuming the reason Jacobs isn't on ANY of these lists is because people think he can't stay healthy? He was 3rd in the NFL this season in ypg, and he obviously is a red zone monster. I'm actually not a huge fan of his, still need to see him carry the load before I'm a full believer, but I figured someone would put him in their top 10, especially with other guys with question marks like Rudi and Grant being in there.
14 Teams, each keep 14 players
QB: P. Manning, Schaub
RB: MJD, Westy, C. Johnson, A. Bradshaw, J. Ringer
WR: TO, Driver, J. Gage, Crabtree, J. Morgan, K. Curtis, E. Bennett, M. Sims-Walker
TE: Witten, M. Lewis
K: Gostkowski, J. Brown
D/ST: Tenn, NE
Humpback
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert
Home Cafe: Football

Postby moochman » Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:49 am

Humpback wrote:I'm assuming the reason Jacobs isn't on ANY of these lists is because people think he can't stay healthy? He was 3rd in the NFL this season in ypg, and he obviously is a red zone monster. I'm actually not a huge fan of his, still need to see him carry the load before I'm a full believer, but I figured someone would put him in their top 10, especially with other guys with question marks like Rudi and Grant being in there.

I don't trust Jacobs becuase he does get nicked up a lot and he is no redzone monster. They have the beastly Rueben Droughns do their dirty work in the redzone, prolly to save the fragile Jacobs a beating.

That said, I do think he will be a very good value pick next season.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby bdubb510 » Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:33 pm

Any thoughts on Norwood ?
bdubb510
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby TheDiplomats » Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:16 pm

bdubb510 wrote:Any thoughts on Norwood ?

Depends on who the new coaching staff is. Petrino kept Dunn in because he was better in pass protection..but it is clear that Norwood is the better back in Atlanta with Dunns best days behind him. A lot of people have questioned Norwoods durability due to his sprinter like build, but he did carry the load when he play for Miss. State in college. If he ever became the main guy in Atlanta, I'd expect great numbers...but I am not sure how well he would hold up.
TheDiplomats
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby steelerfan513 » Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:30 pm

With the 2008 opponents being released, you can definitely knock Willie Parker down multiple notches. The Steelers have one of the toughest schedules I've ever seen.
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby LS2throwed » Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:44 pm

steelerfan513 wrote:With the 2008 opponents being released, you can definitely knock Willie Parker down multiple notches. The Steelers have one of the toughest schedules I've ever seen.

way too early to tell how hard a schedule will be, alot of times the ones that look tough dont end up that way...everyone who had baltimore and chicago on their schedule figured it to be a tough game, and even worse for their rbs...and it ended up the exact opposite especially in chicagos case, they were one of the easiest running friendly teams all year long

Anyone have any thoughts on Barbers performance starting last game?? He played very solid and showed what he can be worth as a starter, still depends on what rd dallas drafts a rb though before you can firmly place his value anywhere...a 1st rb will want carries early on, and want to be a huge part of the offense, a 2nd or 3rd rd back will more then likely be a complimentary back to barber starting and getting 20+ carries
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby ivesaidway2much » Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:50 pm

LS2throwed wrote:
steelerfan513 wrote:With the 2008 opponents being released, you can definitely knock Willie Parker down multiple notches. The Steelers have one of the toughest schedules I've ever seen.

way too early to tell how hard a schedule will be, alot of times the ones that look tough dont end up that way...everyone who had baltimore and chicago on their schedule figured it to be a tough game, and even worse for their rbs...and it ended up the exact opposite especially in chicagos case, they were one of the easiest running friendly teams all year long

Anyone have any thoughts on Barbers performance starting last game?? He played very solid and showed what he can be worth as a starter, still depends on what rd dallas drafts a rb though before you can firmly place his value anywhere...a 1st rb will want carries early on, and want to be a huge part of the offense, a 2nd or 3rd rd back will more then likely be a complimentary back to barber starting and getting 20+ carries
I'm not so sure that this game helped Barber's value much for next year. In fact, it may have hurt his chances for starting. Barber killed the Giants in the first half. He ran up and down the field on them. But that wasn't surprising. Everyone knows Barber can be an amazing runner for one half of a game. He proved that all this season.

The question is whether he can carry the load fulltime. And in the second half yesterday, he managed to gain only 28 yards. He was about as useful as Julius Jones. And that's concerning. If I were the Cowboys, I would be looking for another back to share carries with Barber in 2008.
ivesaidway2much
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby JasonSeahorn » Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:26 pm

i'm not worried about barber's ability to carry a full load next year. even with his 28 yards in the second half of the game, is it barber's fault that the dallas wides dropped passes? or that romo gets a dumb intentional grounding call? or the defense lets eli manning pick them apart? dallas let themselves fall behind and in the very end couldn't keep using barber.

in every game of barber's career, whenever he has had to carry the load b/c julius was hurt, barber put up great stats. besides, barber isn't freaking LT or jim brown or walter payton, he can't always bail out his team.

Thanks to deluxe_247 for sig, he is welcome to sail with the Captain too!

I will win all of the fantasy cafe games.....next year
JasonSeahorn
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Humpback » Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:54 pm

It's obvious that he wore down as the game went on, and that's a concern. One of the reason why he's so effective is because he can wear down a defense and really roll late in the game. This week was only the 4th time he's gone over 20 carries in a game in his 3 year career. Yes, he's been good when he's had to do it, but it's different when you only do it once or twice per season vs. having to do it each and every week (at least most weeks). I'm not sure he can do it, but then again, most NFL RBs can't. He just runs so physically, it's hard to imagine him lasting a full season carrying the load. I'd expect Dallas to bring in someone, especially since most teams are going towards a 2 (or 3) back system these days.

That being said, he can stay right around 250 touches per season and be very effective. We won't know if he can handle another 100+ touches until he goes out and does it. With all of the talent in the draft this season, Dallas will most likely select someone at some point. It would give them protection against injury, plus he's a RFA this year (doubtful he leaves, but you never know) and he can be a UFA after next year if they don't sign him.

By the way, it's certainly not Barber's fault that they lost, but he did have 11 carries in the second half, so it's not like they completely abandoned him.
14 Teams, each keep 14 players
QB: P. Manning, Schaub
RB: MJD, Westy, C. Johnson, A. Bradshaw, J. Ringer
WR: TO, Driver, J. Gage, Crabtree, J. Morgan, K. Curtis, E. Bennett, M. Sims-Walker
TE: Witten, M. Lewis
K: Gostkowski, J. Brown
D/ST: Tenn, NE
Humpback
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby LS2throwed » Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:32 pm

Well im pretty sure Dallas takes a rb too, Felix Jones paired with Barber would make me really happy, but I still dont agree he got wore down or tired in the 2nd half...I mean he did only have 11 carries, how can anyone say he was worn down when he only got the ball that many times, and Garrett went away from the run most that half anyway so its a little hard to tell...

I still think he could be a great back getting 20 carries a game, but I also agree with his style he is best used in the 2nd half, and having another rb rotate in as long as its used correctly...Barber needs to be in on short yardage situations, goal line situations, and the entire 4th qt if they have a lead, if the equals out to 20 touches thats fine...he has shown he is a great back, but he could be even better with another speed back that can start out games

its almost fair to use him in the 4th qt when the defense is tired and he is fresh, and if dallas can have a lead by then that the ideal situation
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer