Scotch? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Scotch?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Scotch?

Postby deerayfan072 » Sat Dec 22, 2007 10:48 am

moonhead wrote:scotch snobs are jackasses. find something you like. mcellan 12 year has been one of my favorites for years. johnny walker makes a good scotch. it's a blend so people turn their noses up at the red and black. but i think the black has a good flavor. glen livet is good too. but like jose said...it's easy to remember dee. think of it like this. you want your scotch how you want your boys. 12 years old an all mixed up with coke.

(please don't put coca-cola in your scotch)

:-b :-b

Yea I can't afford a lot of those single malt scotches. I like the Johnny Walker Red that I have had. Black has good flavor huh? I will have to try it. I don't put coca cola in my scotch. Either on ice or with a bit of club soda :-L
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Mookie4ever » Sat Dec 22, 2007 10:58 am

A friend of mine gave me a bottle of 10 yr old Oban for my birthday once. Another friend of mine commented that the 12 yr old Oban is much superior. Without missing a beat and with a straight face the friend that gave it to me said "Yeah, wait for 2 yrs before drinking it"

That got us to thinking. The difference in price between 10 yr old and 12 yr old scotch is about 30%. A guaranteed 15%/yr return on an investment is really good. Why not put all of my money into 10 yr old scotch? Even if I drink 10% of my investment I'm still making a pretty good ROI. Then we found out that the stupid scotch needs to age in the casks. :-C

"I think that gay marriage should be something between a man and a woman" Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeBaseball ModHockey ModBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby treat24 » Sat Dec 22, 2007 12:40 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:A friend of mine gave me a bottle of 10 yr old Oban for my birthday once. Another friend of mine commented that the 12 yr old Oban is much superior. Without missing a beat and with a straight face the friend that gave it to me said "Yeah, wait for 2 yrs before drinking it"

That got us to thinking. The difference in price between 10 yr old and 12 yr old scotch is about 30%. A guaranteed 15%/yr return on an investment is really good. Why not put all of my money into 10 yr old scotch? Even if I drink 10% of my investment I'm still making a pretty good ROI. Then we found out that the stupid scotch needs to age in the casks. :-C

LOL, reading your post I was getting ready to inform you and you finished it out... hehe. My single malts cost a lot. My bottle of Oban is aged 14 years.Still unopened. I figure I'll get to them at some point. hehe...
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I'm drinking 'til I forget the 1999 NFC Championship game.

Postby Metroid » Sat Dec 22, 2007 12:57 pm

OK a buddy gave me a bottle of Glenfiddich(spl) last year for my birthday it was pretty good I guess. I'm not really a scotch or whiskey guy...yet so I dunno. I can't drink the scotch on the rocks but with a little water or soda water it wasn't too bad. :-?

Oh and Gin sucks arse, I used to think the stuff was great when I was just out of high school and mixing it with some sort of juice, but now it all kind of tastes like some sort of kitchen cleaner. %-6

My drinks of choice are Tequila-Patron or any Blanco or Silver the bar has, Rum-any small batch they have...I also love the Cap Morgans and Vodkas-Grey goose is good or Kettle One and Stoli is also fine but a little overpriced. ;-D

Beer still rules though, I've been on a Guinness and Bass kick lately. :-L
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby Free Bagel » Sat Dec 22, 2007 1:46 pm

moonhead wrote:scotch snobs are jackasses. find something you like. mcellan 12 year has been one of my favorites for years. johnny walker makes a good scotch. it's a blend so people turn their noses up at the red and black. but i think the black has a good flavor. glen livet is good too. but like jose said...it's easy to remember dee. think of it like this. you want your scotch how you want your boys. 12 years old an all mixed up with coke.

Apparently Moonhead is the Oklahoma version of me.

Seriously, I was coming here to recommend basically the exact same stuff. Macallan 12 year is definitely my favorite scotch, although it's a bit pricey to drink regularly so I usually save it for special occasions, and drink Glenlivet more regularly since it's still really good, but pretty affordable too (~30 bucks a bottle, whereas the Macallan is twice that).
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby Lofunzo » Sat Dec 22, 2007 6:29 pm

What about scotch in your Coke??
"There is no bad beer. Some are better than others."
Lofunzo
Head Coach
Head Coach

Baseball ModHockey Mod
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby moonhead » Sat Dec 22, 2007 6:37 pm

Lofunzo wrote:

What about scotch in your Coke??

wouldn't recommend it.

it goes up your nose.
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Postby moonhead » Sat Dec 22, 2007 6:41 pm

treat24 wrote:
Mookie4ever wrote:A friend of mine gave me a bottle of 10 yr old Oban for my birthday once. Another friend of mine commented that the 12 yr old Oban is much superior. Without missing a beat and with a straight face the friend that gave it to me said "Yeah, wait for 2 yrs before drinking it"

LOL, reading your post I was getting ready to inform you and you finished it out... hehe. My single malts cost a lot. My bottle of Oban is aged 14 years.Still unopened. I figure I'll get to them at some point. hehe...

you actually can do this. purchase a cask of scotch. it is a wonderful investment. it always pays off. screaming weasel talked about it a long time ago. i don't know all the numbers, and can't even be sure it was posted on this site. but i'll look for it. it's safer than stocks and bonds and i think has a better roi than your typical low risk stuff.
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Postby scottaa1 » Sat Dec 22, 2007 7:04 pm

not sure if this applies to this thread, but there are liquor stores around here that allow people to buy-in to a cask of scotch, similar to buying sections of a side of beef from a cattle farm as it goes to butcher.

Not an investment type situation, but a good way to secure amounts of a favorite producer/year/batch that you may happen to particularly like.

I'm mostly a beer guy but I enjoy the occasional two fingers of the good stuff or a snifter of brandy with a cigar.
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)

Postby LT Blue Colt » Sun Dec 23, 2007 10:14 pm

Um . . . how about some McMasters mixed with RC cola, and some Milwaukee's Best Light. Yeah, welcome to Northern Michigan's economy. That's high class round here.
Metroid wrote: I eat Old Spice. :-B

I'm a Lions fan. I'm chuck full of freakin' hope.
LT Blue Colt
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk