Seven Medical Myths Busted - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Seven Medical Myths Busted

Moderator: Football Moderators

Seven Medical Myths Busted

Postby knapplc » Wed Dec 26, 2007 9:48 am

It's not exactly Mythbusters but it's worth noting that some of the medical "knowledge" we were all taught is actually bunk.

Revealed: The seven great "medical myths"

LONDON (Reuters) - Reading in dim light won't damage your eyes, you don't need eight glasses of water a day to stay healthy and shaving your legs won't make the hair grow back faster.

These well-worn theories are among seven "medical myths" exposed in a paper published Friday in the British Medical Journal, which traditionally carries light-hearted features in its Christmas edition. Two U.S. researchers took seven common beliefs and searched the archives for evidence to support them.

Despite frequent mentions in the popular press of the need to drink eight glasses of water, they found no scientific basis for the claim.

The complete lack of evidence has been recorded in a study published the American Journal of Psychology, they said.

The other six "myths" are:

* Reading in dim light ruins your eyesight

The majority of eye experts believe it is unlikely to do any permanent damage, but it may make you squint, blink more and have trouble focusing, the researchers said.

* Shaving makes hair grow back faster or coarser

It has no effect on the thickness or rate of hair regrowth, studies say. But stubble lacks the finer taper of unshaven hair, giving the impression of coarseness.

* Eating turkey makes you drowsy

It does contain an amino acid called tryptophan that is involved in sleep and mood control. But turkey has no more of the acid than chicken or minced beef. Eating lots of food and drink at Christmas are probably the real cause of sleepiness.

* We use only 10 percent of our brains

This myth arose as early as 1907 but imaging shows no area of the brain is silent or completely inactive. I know I use at least 10.5% of my brain. On a good day. :-D

* Hair and fingernails continue to grow after death

This idea may stem from ghoulish novels. The researchers said the skin dries out and retracts after death, giving the appearance of longer hair or nails.

* Mobile phones are dangerous in hospitals

Despite widespread concerns, studies have found minimal interference with medical equipment.

The research was conducted by Aaron Carroll, an assistant professor of pediatrics at the Regenstrief Institute, Indianapolis, and Rachel Vreeman, fellow in children's health services research at Indiana University School of Medicine.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Seven Medical Myths Busted

Postby m16a » Wed Dec 26, 2007 10:45 am

knapplc wrote:It's not exactly Mythbusters but it's worth noting that some of the medical "knowledge" we were all taught is actually bunk.

article wrote:* Mobile phones are dangerous in hospitals

Despite widespread concerns, studies have found minimal interference with medical equipment.

The research was conducted by Aaron Carroll, an assistant professor of pediatrics at the Regenstrief Institute, Indianapolis, and Rachel Vreeman, fellow in children's health services research at Indiana University School of Medicine.

Yay! Now if we go to the hospital, we can still post at the cafe from our cell phones B-)
Props to Deluxe for the sig
There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.
- Goethe
m16a

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 47)

Postby Metroid » Wed Dec 26, 2007 12:29 pm

knapplc wrote:It's not exactly Mythbusters but it's worth noting that some of the medical "knowledge" we were all taught is actually bunk.

Mythbusters did a test on whether cell phones interfered with airplanes or not...they didn't.
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby Lofunzo » Wed Dec 26, 2007 1:06 pm

m16a wrote:

Yay! Now if we go to the hospital, we can still post at the cafe from our cell phones B-)

I have Nextel for work so I can't get service in a hospital. :-t
"There is no bad beer. Some are better than others."
Lofunzo
Head Coach
Head Coach

Baseball ModHockey Mod
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby m16a » Wed Dec 26, 2007 1:28 pm

lofunzo wrote:
I have Nextel for work so I can't get service in a hospital. :-t

On a similar tangent, my dad has an older nextel cell phone and it trips store alrms going in our out :-b
Props to Deluxe for the sig
There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.
- Goethe
m16a

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 47)

Postby beanoX3 » Wed Dec 26, 2007 2:55 pm

m16a wrote:

The hospital will still likely kick you out for using a cellphone, even if you bust this article out. :-b
The cake is a lie.
beanoX3
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby mikus » Wed Dec 26, 2007 3:04 pm

Metroid wrote:Mythbusters did a test on whether cell phones interfered with airplanes or not...they didn't.

But they were not allowed to test it while taxi-ing (strange word) or flying, so I would not definitively say cell phones do not interfere with a plane's electronics just yet. However, I do know of some foreign airliners that allow you to use cell phones in flight.
Thanks to madaslives911 for the sweet sig!
The Hazean: Fantasy football galore
mikus
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Location: Same place as every other blogger: My Mom's basement. That is where bloggers work, right?

Postby Metroid » Wed Dec 26, 2007 3:19 pm

mikus wrote:
Metroid wrote:Mythbusters did a test on whether cell phones interfered with airplanes or not...they didn't.

But they were not allowed to test it while taxi-ing (strange word) or flying, so I would not definitively say cell phones do not interfere with a plane's electronics just yet. However, I do know of some foreign airliners that allow you to use cell phones in flight.

Yeah you're right I believe they said the same thing that they would not definitively say cell phones do not interfere with a plane's electronics but that it was highly unlikely that they would.

Also my dad has been telling me for years that reading in low light will make your eyes go bad, I always thought that sounded far fetched. Seems like the squinting and having trouble focusing causes temporary eye discomfort and maybe a headache. :-?

not a medical myth but for those of you that have been told that or believe that cold water boils faster than warm, it ain't true. :-°

Oh and Santa isn't real. :-b
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby eagles21 » Sat Dec 29, 2007 12:39 am

mikus wrote:

I have a friend who is a pilot and although I can't recall the explanation, he has said that it was very unlikely (like Met said) that cell phones interfere with the signals to and from airplanes.

Metroid wrote:Oh and Santa isn't real. :-b

Wha??? :,-(
eagles21
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby bagobonez » Sat Dec 29, 2007 12:46 am

Metroid wrote:
mikus wrote:

Yeah you're right I believe they said the same thing that they would not definitively say cell phones do not interfere with a plane's electronics but that it was highly unlikely that they would.

Also my dad has been telling me for years that reading in low light will make your eyes go bad, I always thought that sounded far fetched. Seems like the squinting and having trouble focusing causes temporary eye discomfort and maybe a headache. :-?

not a medical myth but for those of you that have been told that or believe that cold water boils faster than warm, it ain't true. :-°

Oh and Santa isn't real. :-b

Does hot water freeze faster than cold? Like... if you're filling up an ice cube tray to stick in your freezer? I've heard hot water freezes faster than cold water, but have never tested it. Anyone know?
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to General Talk