Fanball's Top 10 WRs for 2008 - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Fanball's Top 10 WRs for 2008

Moderator: Football Moderators

Fanball's Top 10 WRs for 2008

Postby The Lung » Wed Dec 26, 2007 5:26 pm

From: http://www.fanballnews.com/article.php?article_id=11114

Sound Off: Top-10 WRs
Fanball Staff

We have yet to factor in the changes that will undoubtedly be brought about by free agency, offseason trades, and April's draft. That said, it's always kind of fun to look ahead to next year—especially for those of you who didn't advance deep into your fantasy football playoffs. With that in mind, our staff of fantasy-football analysts was asked to sound off with their "early" Top-10 rankings at each position for next year. We began with quarterbacks and running backs the last two weeks. Now it's time for the wide receivers.

Bo Mitchell's rankings
1. Randy Moss, Patriots
2. Braylon Edwards, Browns
3. Reggie Wayne, Colts
4. Larry Fitzgerald, Cardinals
5. Terrell Owens, Cowboys
6. Marques Colston, Saints
7. T.J. Houshmandzadeh, Bengals
8. Andre Johnson, Texans
9. Torry Holt, Rams
10. Greg Jennings, Packers

I hesitated to put Moss at the top of my rankings, but his obscene numbers this year are hard to ignore. The only thing that could change his status as everyone's No.1 fantasy wideout heading into next year is if he foolishly leaves New England via free agency. Short of that, he has to be the first wide receiver off the board and he has to be a first round pick next summer. The rest of the names on this list are all familiar and require little explanation. Conspicuous by their absences are: Marvin Harrison, Steve Smith, Chad Johnson, and Donald Driver. The reasons are pretty clear, as Marv has apparently jumped the shark, Ocho Cinco has one or two huge games a year and then disappears, Smith needs a quarterback that can get him the ball, and Driver has gone without a touchdown in two and half months. Tough for me to have much faith in any of them unless something dramatically changes.

John Tuvey's rankings
1. Reggie Wayne, Colts
3. Terrell Owens, Cowboys
4. Randy Moss, Patriots
5. Marques Colston, Saints
6. T.J. Houshmandzadeh, Bengals
7. Torry Holt, Rams
8. Andre Johnson, Texans
9. Larry Fitzgerald, Cardinals
10. Brandon Marshall, Broncos

I initially narrowed this list down to 11, and that excluded studs you can't trust (Chad Johnson and Steve Smith) and a couple up-and-comers in Greg Jennings and Anthony Gonzalez who I certainly wouldn't mind having on my squad next season. Ultimately Anquan Boldin's inability to stay healthy cost him a spot in the Top 10. Marshall's size-speed combo platter will make him the Broncos' No. 1 next season; he may be the biggest surprise on this list, though I haven't seen what my colleagues are offering. Fitzy represents the Cards, and if the Texans can find a way to protect Matt Schaub Andre could very easily move up this list. Holt, on the other hand, is showing signs of slowing down. Colston and the Saints seem to have righted the ship after their slow start, and I'm confident they can avoid a similar fate next season. Call it ageism but I can't help but notice that T.O. and Randy Moss are at approximately at the same point in their careers that Marvin Harrison was entering this season; that's why they get perhaps a little less respect from me than perhaps they should. Plus, Moss is a free agent and there's no guarantee he'll be back in New England next season. Edwards will plummet if the Browns do something stupid and don't keep Derek Anderson around, but their front office maneuvers of late suggest they're not stupid. And Wayne is quite simply the one option in this talented bunch who won't have any question marks rolling into next season; for me, that nets him the top spot.

Ted Carlson's rankings
1. Randy Moss, Patriots
4. Reggie Wayne, Colts
5. Larry Fitzgerald, Cardinals
6. Marques Colston, Saints
7. Torry Holt, Rams
8. Andre Johnson, Texans
9. T.J. Houshmandzadeh, Bengals
10. Plaxico Burress, Giants

It's really tough to keep Marvin Harrison and Steve Smith out of the top-10, but the stink of the 2007 season still sits in my nostrils. As we fade into next June, I'm sure those two will sneak up and knock Burress down. Can you really knock any of those guys, though? Sure, Plax and Housh have been disappointing over the second half and Andre missed a sizable chunk of time, but I feel like that's a pretty strong group of 10 wideouts. Chad Johnson, Brandon Marshall, and Greg Jennings would round out my top-15 at this point. I can't quite buy into Jennings's huge touchdown total, especially since we don't know if Brett Favre will be under center in 2008.

Jason Powell's rankings

1. Randy Moss, Patriots
2. Terrell Owens, Cowboys
3. Andre Johnson, Texans
4. Braylon Edwards, Browns
5. Steve Smith, Panthers
6. Reggie Wayne, Colts
7. Marques Colston, Saints
8. Torry Holt, Rams
9. T.J. Houshmanzadeh, Bengals

Yes, my top two picks look very similar to most current wide receiver statistical rankings. But before you label me as someone who plans to live in the previous year, please note that I ranked Moss and Owens as my top two wide receivers heading into the season. No, really, you can look it up in all three of the magazines we published prior to the season. Good luck finding another fantasy expert on the planet who ranked Moss as the top wideout last summer. Now that I've finished patting myself on the back, I'll knock myself down a peg by confessing that I labeled Edwards a bust heading into the 2007 campaign. I had no trust in the Browns' quarterback situation, but that's obviously changed since Derek Anderson stepped up. Smith is due for a bounceback season, assuming Jake Delhomme can stay healthy. The hardest player to rank was Wayne simply because we don't know whether Marvin Harrison will return, let alone whether he'll be as effective as he was before he injured his knee. A healthy Marv would cut into Wayne's production, but Reggie could move into the top-three if Marv isn't around or can't play at the same level. It was hard to leave Larry Fitzgerald and Anquan Boldin off the list, but I need to see Matt Leinart do something before I can invest heavily in his wideouts. I lost a lot of faith in Chad Johnson this year. Housh is the best wideout in Cincinnati and it's nice to see that the Pro Bowl voters figured that out. Brandon Marshall has looked like the real deal this season and certainly warrants an honorable mention.

Christian Peterson's rankings
1. Randy Moss, Patriots
3. Marques Colston, Saints
4. Reggie Wayne, Colts
5. Braylon Edwards, Browns
6. Larry Fitzgerald, Cardinals
8. Torry Holt, Rams
9. Greg Jennings, Packers
10. Brandon Marshall, Broncos

Is it sacrilege to leave both Marvin Harrison and Steve Smith off this list? Maybe, but Marv is clearly getting old and Smith will probably be facing an iffy situation at quarterback again. Colston at No. 3 is probably bold, but he's been insanely good in the second half; only T.O., Moss, and Jennings rank ahead of him in terms of fantasy points in a 50-50 league in the last eight games. I still can't convince myself Derek Anderson is the long-term answer in Cleveland, but Edwards is too good to drop much farther than No. 5. Ditto Fitz, who will probably be catching passes from the underwhelming Matt Leinart again next year. What do you do with a couple of third-year receivers who have already broken out in a huge way in year two? If their names are Greg Jennings and Brandon Marshall, you put them in your top 10 fantasy receiver rankings.

Jon Lopuch's rankings

1. Randy Moss, Patriots
4. Reggie Wayne, Colts
5. Andre Johnson, Texans
6. Torry Holt, Rams
8. Larry Fitzgerald, Cardinals
9. Marques Colston, Saints

Moss' resume this season is simply too strong to not rank him first, but I have concerns about if the Patriots can stay this motivated for another 16-game schedule and if Moss will even re-sign with New England. I think it is safe to say Housh has surpassed Chad Johnson as the Bengals top fantasy wideout and I didn't have any team represented twice here, although that was not intentional. I could see Jennings making me look foolish for ranking him this low, especially since he will be entering his third season, but opponents will be spending plenty of time this offseason figuring out how to keep him out of the end zone and his yardage totals aren't that great. Plus, he is an injury risk. Steve Smith would be on this list if I had confidence in the quarterback situation in Carolina.

Anthony Maggio's rankings

1. Randy Moss, Patriots
3. Steve Smith, Panthers
4. Torry Holt, Rams
5. Braylon Edwards, Browns
6. T.J. Houshmandzadeh, Bengals
7. Andre Johnson, Texans
8. Marques Colston, Saints
9. Larry Fitzgerald, Cardinals
10. Reggie Wayne, Colts

Better late than never? Kudos to colleague Jason Powell for being the first to jump on the Moss bandwagon prior to last season, but now that he's proven to us all that he's the greatest receiver ever I can go ahead and comfortably put him at No. 1. Speaking of comfortable, this is the first time I've ever been comfortable enough with T.O. to rank him in my top three. The guy has always been good, but way too combustible for my liking. Now that he's got a quarterback, coach and team that he likes, I'm more than happy to put him at No. 2. The next three guys are definitely the most talented receivers left, but all come with quarterback issues. Jake Delhomme and Marc Bulger can never stay healthy, and we still don't know what will happen with Derek Anderson next season. If I knew Anderson was for sure staying, Edwards might move up to No. 3. Housh is the best receiver in Cincinnati, but he's got two top talents around him so can't be in the top five. Johnson is really good and now has a good quarterback and could produce even higher than where I have him ranked if healthy. Colston is a proven game-breaker and in an offense that can put up points, but I could see the Saints using Reggie Bush and Deuce McAllister more if both are healthy to help avoid early season struggles like they had this season. Fitzy is a beast, but if Anquan Boldin is healthy he's got too much competition to be any higher. Wayne has obviously had a strong season with Marvin Harrison out, but the fact that Marv is still around is too much for me to put him higher than 10 at this point.

To me it's unconscionable that Chad Johnson appears on none of these top 10 lists, and Steve Smith only appears on 2 of the 7. You have to assume that Jake Delhomme will be healthy next year and Carolina will do a better job at finding a capable backup QB in case he's not. I also have a very tough time leaving a receiver who had 89 catches for 1309 yards with 6 TDs out of the top 10, even if Ocho Cinco was wildly inconsistent and scored 5 of those TDs in two games. I like Brandon Marshall and Greg Jennings as much as the next guy, and will do everything possible to get them on my roster in re-draft leagues next year, but I'd take Smith or CJ over them in a heartbeat.
(~);}

(~);}
The Lung

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 72)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Fanball's Top 10 WRs for 2008

Postby Azrael » Wed Dec 26, 2007 5:35 pm

Steve Smith will be a damn steal next year. CJ probably too. The yards and catches are there. He just needs to stop scoring all his TDs in 2 or 3 games and spread it out a little more. And Unless you are counting on Andre Johnson being hurt half the year again next year, dude is easily top 5. Clearly the problem was David Carr. Now that you have someone who knows how to get the guy the ball he has shown he can produce against anyone, even with top corners/defensive backfields hounding him. I like Brandon Marshall next year too. Very, very consistent. The TDs should come next year. Burress should be very good. He was a stud healthy.

I think Housh and Wes Welker will be overrated. Once Henry came back Housh's #'s declined significantly (379 yards and 2TDs, versus 674 and 10 before Henry). Welker will be decent but not worth a 4th rounder.

I'm will be avoiding Owens too. He'll be pushing 35. He may have another good year but how fun was it to have Harrison when the wheels fell off.

I like Santonio and Bowe as semi-sleepers. Roddy White will get underdrafted as well even though he had a good year.

Boldin will be much cheaper than Fitz next year. Evans will be cheap too. So will Calvin Johnson.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby ivesaidway2much » Wed Dec 26, 2007 8:10 pm

Azrael wrote:Steve Smith will be a damn steal next year. CJ probably too. The yards and catches are there. He just needs to stop scoring all his TDs in 2 or 3 games and spread it out a little more. And Unless you are counting on Andre Johnson being hurt half the year again next year, dude is easily top 5. Clearly the problem was David Carr. Now that you have someone who knows how to get the guy the ball he has shown he can produce against anyone, even with top corners/defensive backfields hounding him. I like Brandon Marshall next year too. Very, very consistent. The TDs should come next year. Burress should be very good. He was a stud healthy.

I think Housh and Wes Welker will be overrated. Once Henry came back Housh's #'s declined significantly (379 yards and 2TDs, versus 674 and 10 before Henry). Welker will be decent but not worth a 4th rounder.

I'm will be avoiding Owens too. He'll be pushing 35. He may have another good year but how fun was it to have Harrison when the wheels fell off.

I like Santonio and Bowe as semi-sleepers. Roddy White will get underdrafted as well even though he had a good year.

Boldin will be much cheaper than Fitz next year. Evans will be cheap too. So will Calvin Johnson.
Wow. It's like you're inside my head. I was about to post my thoughts on these rankings, but now I see there is no point.
ivesaidway2much
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby LS2throwed » Wed Dec 26, 2007 9:28 pm

Brandon Marshall should be on every one of these list, he put up 1200 + yds this year so id expect around 1500+ and 10+ tds especially being that I think he is 2nd in the nfl this year in YAC, his third year is going to be a pro bowl year...

I didnt expect to see Santonio Holmes but he will also be a 1300 yd guy with 8+ tds
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby LoveBoatCaptain » Thu Dec 27, 2007 4:27 am

Holy testicles.

I know it's been said in all previous posts, but Steve Smith is going to be a steal in fantasy drafts if similar rankings to these continue. All the Brandon Marshall cults forming seem too premature for my tastes. The Broncos lost their best wide out -- hands down. I'm not saying Marshall can't/won't repeat or improve on this year's performance, but there seem to be too many intangibles for me to mention him in a Top 10 discussion. Let's keep our pants on, gentlemen.

Marshall > Smith?! It's a wonder what one year can do to some people's common sense...
LoveBoatCaptain
Head Coach
Head Coach

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Stelly » Thu Dec 27, 2007 12:26 pm

I think you really need to see what happens with Brett Favre before we label Greg Jennnings a Top-10 Fantasy WR. He had a fantastic year, but if Favre hangs it up, his value takes a significant hit, IMO.
10-Team, non-PPR

QB:
RB: R. Rice, CJ Spiller
WR: AJ Green
K:
Def:
Stelly
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby mikus » Thu Dec 27, 2007 12:35 pm

Stelly wrote:I think you really need to see what happens with Brett Favre before we label Greg Jennnings a Top-10 Fantasy WR. He had a fantastic year, but if Favre hangs it up, his value takes a significant hit, IMO.

Agreed, although Aaron Rodgers did look pretty good throwing the ball to Greg Jennings against the Cowboys a few weeks ago.
Thanks to madaslives911 for the sweet sig!
The Hazean: Fantasy football galore
mikus
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Location: Same place as every other blogger: My Mom's basement. That is where bloggers work, right?

Postby The Lung » Thu Dec 27, 2007 12:44 pm

mikus wrote:
Stelly wrote:I think you really need to see what happens with Brett Favre before we label Greg Jennnings a Top-10 Fantasy WR. He had a fantastic year, but if Favre hangs it up, his value takes a significant hit, IMO.

Agreed, although Aaron Rodgers did look pretty good throwing the ball to Greg Jennings against the Cowboys a few weeks ago.

Indeed, the 5 catches for 87 yards Jennings made in that game were all from Aaron Rodgers, including the 43-yard reception and the 11-yard TD. ;-D
(~);}

(~);}
The Lung

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 72)

Postby Stelly » Thu Dec 27, 2007 1:23 pm

The Lung wrote:
mikus wrote:

Indeed, the 5 catches for 87 yards Jennings made in that game were all from Aaron Rodgers, including the 43-yard reception and the 11-yard TD. ;-D

So you're telling me that keeping him as my 9th round pick next year is a good idea!? ;-)
10-Team, non-PPR

QB:
RB: R. Rice, CJ Spiller
WR: AJ Green
K:
Def:
Stelly
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby LS2throwed » Thu Dec 27, 2007 4:37 pm

LoveBoatCaptain wrote:Holy testicles.

I know it's been said in all previous posts, but Steve Smith is going to be a steal in fantasy drafts if similar rankings to these continue. All the Brandon Marshall cults forming seem too premature for my tastes. The Broncos lost their best wide out -- hands down. I'm not saying Marshall can't/won't repeat or improve on this year's performance, but there seem to be too many intangibles for me to mention him in a Top 10 discussion. Let's keep our pants on, gentlemen.

Marshall > Smith?! It's a wonder what one year can do to some people's common sense...

you know the definition of a sleeper right?? In other words great value, alot of people in drafts will feel the exact same way that you do and thats exactly what Im hoping for...Marshall is 7th right now in yards this year, 10 yds behind Edwards for 6th, which are top 10 numbers, being that he's cutlers obvious favorite target and in his 3rd year as a wr which is usually their best, what leads me to believe he wont be a top 10 wr last year??

Personally thats just the way I love drafting is taking value guys, Ill take guys like Marshall and Holmes two rounds later then I would have to take Braylon and Steve Smith and get the same production, its ok that you or everyone feels those guys wont do much next year, because its that type of thinking that lets to guys slide in drafts and become huge steals/sleepers
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer