Fanball's Top 10 WRs for 2008 - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Fanball's Top 10 WRs for 2008

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Fanball's Top 10 WRs for 2008

Postby Azrael » Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:59 pm

I think the point he's trying to make is that with Walker back healthy next year, what does that do to Marshall? I would agree if the situation were the same as much of this year Marshall could turn in a Braylon Edwards type year but with Walker and Marshall both in the mix. Who becomes Fitz and who becomes Boldin? Or who becomes CJ and who becomes TJ? Both could have good years but I think with both healthy next year the true upside really belongs to Cutler. Maybe Walker and Marshall both turn in 1,100 yards 10 TD years but I think that would most likely mean Cutler pushes 4,000 yards and 30 TDs like Palmer did in his 3rd year.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Free Bagel » Thu Dec 27, 2007 11:41 pm

Azrael wrote:Steve Smith will be a damn steal next year. CJ probably too. The yards and catches are there. He just needs to stop scoring all his TDs in 2 or 3 games and spread it out a little more.

The problem with CJ is that he's been doing this for 2 years now. Once again, for the second year in a row, without his monster games he's not even a TOP 40 WR! I know, I know, you can't just take out games. But that doesn't change the fact that 14 out of 16 weeks you're getting absolute trash production out of your WR1.

CJ has been an absolute sucker pick for a couple years now, he'll finally be about where he should be this year. If you can get him later this year he's got great upside though.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby LS2throwed » Fri Dec 28, 2007 1:58 am

Azrael wrote:I think the point he's trying to make is that with Walker back healthy next year, what does that do to Marshall? I would agree if the situation were the same as much of this year Marshall could turn in a Braylon Edwards type year but with Walker and Marshall both in the mix. Who becomes Fitz and who becomes Boldin? Or who becomes CJ and who becomes TJ? Both could have good years but I think with both healthy next year the true upside really belongs to Cutler. Maybe Walker and Marshall both turn in 1,100 yards 10 TD years but I think that would most likely mean Cutler pushes 4,000 yards and 30 TDs like Palmer did in his 3rd year.

When Walker was healthy the first two games of the year those were some of Marshalls best games, and he scored in both games...if Walker is healthy Marshall will see the #2 corner every week, and he was still targeted more while Walker was the home run hitter, Id say its another situation where both wrs will put up #1 type wr numbers if both can stay healthy, but if Walker plays Marshalls #'s will probably be better then if he was the sole wr there...

and I never said he was better or higher ranked then steve smith, i certainly dont think that, but I just dont take wrs early enough to take guys like steve smith because they are always late 1st 2nd rd picks, i prefer to wait a tad longer before grabbing my first wr

Theres no need for all the ad-libbing and acting like there's a cult forming because people are high on certain guys, how about lets grow up a little ;-D We dont have to agree, thats obvious but its not as if anything that has been said has been over exaggerating
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby Humpback » Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:19 am

LS2throwed wrote:
Azrael wrote:I think the point he's trying to make is that with Walker back healthy next year, what does that do to Marshall? I would agree if the situation were the same as much of this year Marshall could turn in a Braylon Edwards type year but with Walker and Marshall both in the mix. Who becomes Fitz and who becomes Boldin? Or who becomes CJ and who becomes TJ? Both could have good years but I think with both healthy next year the true upside really belongs to Cutler. Maybe Walker and Marshall both turn in 1,100 yards 10 TD years but I think that would most likely mean Cutler pushes 4,000 yards and 30 TDs like Palmer did in his 3rd year.

When Walker was healthy the first two games of the year those were some of Marshalls best games, and he scored in both games...if Walker is healthy Marshall will see the #2 corner every week, and he was still targeted more while Walker was the home run hitter, Id say its another situation where both wrs will put up #1 type wr numbers if both can stay healthy, but if Walker plays Marshalls #'s will probably be better then if he was the sole wr there...

and I never said he was better or higher ranked then steve smith, i certainly dont think that, but I just dont take wrs early enough to take guys like steve smith because they are always late 1st 2nd rd picks, i prefer to wait a tad longer before grabbing my first wr

Theres no need for all the ad-libbing and acting like there's a cult forming because people are high on certain guys, how about lets grow up a little ;-D We dont have to agree, thats obvious but its not as if anything that has been said has been over exaggerating

Huh? :-S I think Azrael's comments were plenty "grown up". He didn't attack you or anything, he questioned what happens to Marshalls' value next year if Walker comes back, which is perfectly valid.

Anyway, I think the numbers you have projected for him and Holmes are very optimistic, and I doubt they put up the same numbers as Edwards and SS next year as you've suggested. Both very good players, and may be better values if you can get them later, but I still rate Edwards and SS way above them.

Edit: Now I see that you were responding to Love Boat Captain I guess? Sorry, a bit confusing since you quoted Azrael. Also, you did say that Marshall and Holmes were as good as Edwards and SS- you said you could take those guys a couple of rounds later and get the same production.
14 Teams, each keep 14 players
QB: P. Manning, Schaub
RB: MJD, Westy, C. Johnson, A. Bradshaw, J. Ringer
WR: TO, Driver, J. Gage, Crabtree, J. Morgan, K. Curtis, E. Bennett, M. Sims-Walker
TE: Witten, M. Lewis
K: Gostkowski, J. Brown
D/ST: Tenn, NE
Humpback
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby EWSPECIALTY » Mon Dec 31, 2007 1:48 pm

My predictament is whether to keep Marshall or keep Walker. I guess ill have to keep marshall if he is going to be on the top rated type lists.
Anything Worth Doing Is Worth Doing Right!
EWSPECIALTY
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby JasonSeahorn » Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:29 pm

as others said steve smith is going to be a steal next year. if chicago or minnesota find a nice qb (mcnabb trade?), berrian or sidney rice or bobby wade will have a great year next year and probably be drafted late.

Thanks to deluxe_247 for sig, he is welcome to sail with the Captain too!

I will win all of the fantasy cafe games.....next year
JasonSeahorn
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby The Lung » Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:04 pm

Greg Jennings really needs to be in the top ten. ;-D
(~);}

(~);}
The Lung

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 61)

Postby mattb47 » Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:27 pm

The Lung wrote:Greg Jennings really needs to be in the top ten. ;-D

How so? There are plenty of guys I would take over Jennings. To name a few:

(in no particular order)
Moss
TO
Wayne
Fitz
Edwards
Housh
AJ
Colston
Holt
Smith

And I think there are a bunch of others guys who are around the same area who I might take over him too:

Boldin
Marshall
CJ
Plax
R. Williams
Harrison (assuming he has a strong off season)

So for me, that puts him no higher than 11, and more likely in the 13-17 range right now....It's tough to think that a guy without high reception numbers and yardage numbers will once again put up high TD numbers.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby stepsinsc » Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:46 pm

I think most people would take Moss, TO, Wayne, Fitz, Edwards, Housh, AJ, Colston and Smith before Jennings.

I think taking Holt, Boldin, Marshall, Plax, and Roy Williams before Jennings would be reasonable, although I think it will vary greatly.

I think taking CJ or Harrison before him would be unreasonable. (whoops, I thought you meant Calvin Johnson, lol. I'd put Chad Johnson in the first list I had).

So I agree thus far, but...

The low reception/yard #s don't bother me. You can look at it the other way too: he played in a high powered offense with lots of options, but despite the relatively low # of looks, he produced big time. He's like pre-breakout Lee Evans, but much more consistent, thanks in large part to his ability to run and elude after making the catch. 43% of his yards came after the catch (Evans had 33% of his yards coming from after the catch his 2nd year, and in his breakout 3rd year only 28%). I expect an Evans-like third-year breakout next year for Jennings, but better. Of course, opinions in these things are like you know what.

mattb47 wrote:
The Lung wrote:Greg Jennings really needs to be in the top ten. ;-D

How so? There are plenty of guys I would take over Jennings. To name a few:

(in no particular order)
Moss
TO
Wayne
Fitz
Edwards
Housh
AJ
Colston
Holt
Smith

And I think there are a bunch of others guys who are around the same area who I might take over him too:

Boldin
Marshall
CJ
Plax
R. Williams
Harrison (assuming he has a strong off season)

So for me, that puts him no higher than 11, and more likely in the 13-17 range right now....It's tough to think that a guy without high reception numbers and yardage numbers will once again put up high TD numbers.
stepsinsc
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby LS2throwed » Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:13 pm

Humpback wrote:Huh? :-S I think Azrael's comments were plenty "grown up". He didn't attack you or anything, he questioned what happens to Marshalls' value next year if Walker comes back, which is perfectly valid.

Anyway, I think the numbers you have projected for him and Holmes are very optimistic, and I doubt they put up the same numbers as Edwards and SS next year as you've suggested. Both very good players, and may be better values if you can get them later, but I still rate Edwards and SS way above them.

Edit: Now I see that you were responding to Love Boat Captain I guess? Sorry, a bit confusing since you quoted Azrael. Also, you did say that Marshall and Holmes were as good as Edwards and SS- you said you could take those guys a couple of rounds later and get the same production.

Right that was my mistake, quoted Azrael to respond to him but in the latter was responding to Love Boat Captain...But that was really my point about Holmes and Marshall was that I thought they could put up similiar numbers, or at least numbers in the same ball park as some of those other wrs drafted at least 2 rounds earlier, thus having a chance to either grab one of the elite tight ends, or making sure you land two solid backs before getting around to the qbs...I think both guys could put up better or similiar numbers, SS scares me with the qb situation, what happens if Delhomme starts then misses the remainder of the season again? I really have no question marks about BE, just the fact that he will probably be one of the first 5 wrs taken more then likely, so im looking for guys who can produce on that level taken alot later
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer