2004 Peyton vs. 2007 Brady vs. 1984 Marino - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

2004 Peyton vs. 2007 Brady vs. 1984 Marino

Moderator: Football Moderators

Who had the best season?

Poll ended at Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:31 pm

2004 Peyton
35%
2007 Brady
28%
1984 Marino
38%

Total votes : 40

2004 Peyton vs. 2007 Brady vs. 1984 Marino

Postby Champagne Supernova » Sun Dec 30, 2007 1:31 pm

2004 Peyton had a line of:

67.6% 4557 yards 49 TDs 10 ints 121.1 QBRat 12-4 Record (Lost in AFC Divisional to NE)

2007 Brady had a line of:

68.9% 4806 yards 50 TD's 8 ints 117.2 QBRat 16-0 Record (TBD)

1984 Marino had a line of:

64.2% 5084 yards 48 TD's 17 ints 108.9 QBRat 14-2 Record (Lost in Super Bowl to SF)

First, an observations, every stat for Brady versus Manning was higher except for his QB rating. How is this possible?

Now I trust for this reason and for the fact that Brady is much more recent most people will vote for Brady. However, if you look at the weapons around Marino compared to Manning and Brady, they pale in comparison. All three had exceptional season and I don't think there is a wrong choice but if you had to vote, who had the best season?
Champagne Supernova
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Football

Re: 2004 Peyton vs. 2007 Brady vs. 1984 Marino

Postby JasonSeahorn » Mon Dec 31, 2007 1:23 am

i love brady and i think he had a better season than 2004 peyton...but i vote for 1984 marino

i wasn't old enough to watch marino in 1984, but as far as i know his supporting offense was no where close to what brady and peyton had. i could be wrong though, i couldn't actually watch that season

Thanks to deluxe_247 for sig, he is welcome to sail with the Captain too!

I will win all of the fantasy cafe games.....next year
JasonSeahorn
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby bagobonez » Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:16 am

Manning had the better season because he put his numbers up in 15 games and Brady had 16 games to do what he did. Manning could have had probably 51 TD's if they would have let him play the final week of the season.
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby buffalobillsrul2002 » Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:38 am

Brady. Better TD/INT ratio, perfect record. Also, he has made a few plays this year with his feet (something Manning/Marino haven't done at all).
buffalobillsrul2002
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Lordrevolution » Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:44 am

buffalobillsrul2002 wrote:Brady. Better TD/INT ratio, perfect record. Also, he has made a few plays this year with his feet (something Manning/Marino haven't done at all).

Manning has 16 rushing TDs for his career. Also if you just watch him you can see from his footwork in the pocket he's completely capable of alluding defenders while his WRs get open. Donknow about Marino, but I'm willing to bet the same.
Lordrevolution
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby buffalobillsrul2002 » Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:56 am

Lord Revolution wrote: Manning has 16 rushing TDs for his career. Also if you just watch him you can see from his footwork in the pocket he's completely capable of alluding defenders while his WRs get open. Donknow about Marino, but I'm willing to bet the same.

I completely agree that Manning has good footwork in the pocket. Marino did, too. I'm looking purely at Brady's 2007 rushing stats vs. Manning's 2004 rushing stats. As to who is the better runner, I'd say Brady is better, but it's pretty close (Manning's great play-action fakes definitely cancel out Brady's better scrambling).....
buffalobillsrul2002
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby smackthefirst » Mon Dec 31, 2007 4:56 am

They all had relatively amazing seasons. But if I had to pick one, it's still Marino. If I had to rank them, I would probably go Marino/Manning/Brady. Of course I could probably make arguments for any ranking of the three because they were all amazing years and they are so similar.

And I tried to not involve all the arguments about random occurrences that I like to refer to as, "Its part of the game." And this is not a jab at any posts before mine, but more so commentary on posts I saw on another site a week or so ago. And apparently it took me a while to write this so I honestly haven't even seen half the posts in this thread by now. You know the arguments like "Marino played in a league less geared towards offenses", "Manning played in a dome", "Brady had to deal with the weather", "Manning only played 15 games", and "Brady was gunning for the records". At best, these arguments can be made over and over again and the what-ifs will always win out. But I just look at this as all being "part of the game". I certainly hope these arguments don't end up being things like "Brady played in 3 games with snow", "Manning had an injured receiver for 2 games", and "Marino played 3 games in rain in Miami and 1 game in snow in Buffalo".

The only "part of the game" item I might take into consideration is the receivers each had. Granted it is "part of the game", but Manning had Harrison, Brady had RMoss, and Marino had Duper and Clayton (I'm not sure which receiver to consider their best). Neither Clayton or Duper are in the HoF; whereas Harrison and RMoss are not only bound for the HoF, they are also each virtual locks to be viewed as two of the top ten receivers ever. I know it's impossible to judge how the QBs would've done with different WRs, but I can't overlook the importance of the WRs on a QBs stats on an arbitrary basis. I mean Brady does have to live with the burden of the fact that RMoss was able to make CPepp a top 5 QB.

But the deciding factor for me was how the QBs compared to the rest of the league in the year they exploded. Because I didn't have the time to tally each QBs stats for the year, I opted for the quick way out and used the total team stats for the regular season. It does slightly skew the results I admit, but it does offer a quick look at the overall league that year. And in my opinion, the results are useful in comparing the QBs. For the comparison I took into account total passing yards, total passing TDs, and the teams overall QB rating and compared those to the average production for the rest of the league. And before anyone asks, I did factor in the fact that there were only 28 teams in 1984. So onto my findings and commentary.

First up is the QB rating. Manning gets the gold here for being the most efficient QB. However, each individual performance showed almost equal improvement over the average performance of the entire league. Manning was a hair under 4% (3.959%) more efficient than Brady who came in 3rd. Marino came in 2nd and was 1.614% behind Manning.

Team Stats!!!
QB Rating
Player--------QB Rating---League Avg.---Difference----Percent Change
Manning------119.7----------82.8-------------36.9--------44.565% increase
Marino--------108.5----------75.9-------------32.6--------42.951% increase
Brady----------116.0---------82.5--------------33.5--------40.606% increase

Second up is the total TDs. Marino gets the nod here for having the greatest percentage increase in TD passes over the league average for that particular season. However, each individual performance again showed almost identical improvement over the average performance of the entire league. Marino was slightly over 5% (5.336%) more efficient than Brady who again came in 3rd. Manning came in 2nd in this comparison and was just under 1% (0.998%) behind Marino. But again, the relative increase in production for each QB when compared to the league for that season was very similar. At this point I worried that this trend might continue with Marino and Manning each taking the majority of the 1st's and 2nd's in each comparison with Brady occasionally taking a 1st or a 2nd, but being right in the mix when he took 3rd's.

Team Stats!!!
Touch Downs
Player--------Touch Downs---League Avg.---Difference----Percent Change
Marino-------------49--------------22--------------27----------122.727% increase
Manning-----------51--------------23--------------27----------121.739% increase
Brady--------------50--------------23--------------27----------117.391% increase

Finally, I compared the total passing yards for the season and I got some interesting results that I honestly wasn't expecting. Manning and Brady were again very similar in their percentage increase over the league average. Brady came in 2nd with a 37.970% increase while Manning was 3rd with a 37.221% increase. However, Marino absolutely blew the league average out of the water. The league average for total passing yards in 1984 was 3294 yards. Marino finished the year with 5018 yards which was an amazing 52.338% higher than the league average.

Team Stats!!!
Total Yards
Player--------Total Yards---League Avg.---Difference-----Percent Change
Marino-----------5018----------3294------------1724---------52.338% increase
Brady-------------4731----------3429------------1302--------37.970% increase
Manning----------4623----------3369------------1254--------37.221% increase

After looking at these results, I had to go with Marino even though both Brady's and Manning's performances are easier for me to recall because both were more recent. Each individual performance when compared against the average performance of the other teams in each respective year yields results of not only two examples of almost eerily similar relative increases for each QB, but it also yields a very dramatic advantage for Marino in regards to total passing yards. Of course, if all the passing stats for the year were run through a similar comparison, I openly admit that the argument for Marino being number 1 may lose some ground. But throwing for over 50% more yards in a season than than the league average is an amazing feet in and of itself.
My Playoff Team - Please Comment
MSchaub, DMcNabb, JFreeman, KKolb
SJackson, THightower, CWells, JForsett, JSnelling, CJennings, QGanther
RWayne, RMoss, RMeachem, MCrabtree, DBowe
VDavis
smackthefirst
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics ExpertEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby Free Bagel » Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:50 pm

I wasn't old enough during Mario's year to remember it, so I'll just say what I can about Brady's/Peyton's.

Brady: 50 TDs in 16 games = 3.125 TDs/game with potentially the greatest (or at worst 2nd greatest) WR of all-time.
Peyton: 49 TDs in 15 games = 3.267 TDs/game without potentially the greatest WR of all-time.

Not to mention Brady's coach who let them throw 50 yard bombs when up 28pts in the 4th quarter.

Brady also attempted 100 more passes, had a lower quarterback rating, and had a significantly lower YPA. Really, this shouldn't even be a DISCUSSION.

Yeah, Brady's team was undefeated, but that has more to do with the Patriots having a top 5 defense (#1 scoring defense headed into this past week despite giving up lots of garbage time points because of big leads) vs. the Colts bottom 5 defense. Last I checked, we were talking about greatest individual season here. If we want to compare defenses we should probably start another thread for that.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby RocketsDWM » Mon Dec 31, 2007 1:35 pm

bagobonez wrote:Manning had the better season because he put his numbers up in 15 games and Brady had 16 games to do what he did. Manning could have had probably 51 TD's if they would have let him play the final week of the season.

"What-if's" dont mean much.

And Manning played in a dome. Without doubt, that helped him.
RocketsDWM
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicGraphics ExpertEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby PMoneyTKE » Mon Dec 31, 2007 1:46 pm

RocketsDWM wrote:
bagobonez wrote:Manning had the better season because he put his numbers up in 15 games and Brady had 16 games to do what he did. Manning could have had probably 51 TD's if they would have let him play the final week of the season.

"What-if's" dont mean much.

And Manning played in a dome. Without doubt, that helped him.

Obviously they do if you try and make excuses like Manning playing in a dome....
Boobies
PMoneyTKE
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Football Talk