2004 Peyton vs. 2007 Brady vs. 1984 Marino - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

2004 Peyton vs. 2007 Brady vs. 1984 Marino

Moderator: Football Moderators

Who had the best season?

Poll ended at Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:31 pm

2004 Peyton
35%
2007 Brady
28%
1984 Marino
38%

Total votes : 40

Re: 2004 Peyton vs. 2007 Brady vs. 1984 Marino

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Sat Jan 12, 2008 3:41 pm

Munboy wrote:Kind of funny. NE fans vote for Brady, Indy fans vote for Manning, almost everybody else votes for Marino. :-b

For the record, I actually voted for Marino. :^
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Champagne Supernova » Sat Jan 12, 2008 4:49 pm

Anyone else have a vote or would like to voice an opinion? The poll ends tomorrow at 1:30 so hopefully by then a winner can be crowned. Overall, I think some excellent points were brought up. When i originally made the poll I figured Brady would run away with it simply because he was the most recent. However, I was pleasantly surprised to see the support for Mariano and Manning. For the record I voted for Mariano. ;-D
Champagne Supernova
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby PMoneyTKE » Sat Jan 12, 2008 5:21 pm

Whose Mariano? :-b
Boobies
PMoneyTKE
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby WaCougMBS » Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:11 pm

If the Pats win the Super Bowl and Brady leads and undefeated team to a Championship while beating the TD record with a better TD/INT ratio, then he has my vote for sure. Brady sat out the end of a couple of games, which more than cancels out Manning not playing the last game of the season IMO.

We are comparing three awesome seasons, but if Brady leads the Pats to the title and equals or betters Marino and Manning's number, then he gets my vote ;-D
Av/sig by deluxe_247
WaCougMBS

Radio PimpEditorModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby mattb47 » Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:30 am

WaCougMBS wrote:If the Pats win the Super Bowl and Brady leads and undefeated team to a Championship while beating the TD record with a better TD/INT ratio, then he has my vote for sure. Brady sat out the end of a couple of games, which more than cancels out Manning not playing the last game of the season IMO.

How in the world could that make up for that? Manning didn't play parts of games plenty of times during the season, and when the Colts had that sizable lead late in games, he was handing the ball off and securing the game rather than continuing to run up the score through the air and throwing bombs downfield. The Patriots had to throw the ball all over the field against teams late into games for Brady to reach what Manning did and even then Manning had his record in 15 games.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Sun Jan 13, 2008 4:40 am

mattb47 wrote:
WaCougMBS wrote:If the Pats win the Super Bowl and Brady leads and undefeated team to a Championship while beating the TD record with a better TD/INT ratio, then he has my vote for sure. Brady sat out the end of a couple of games, which more than cancels out Manning not playing the last game of the season IMO.

How in the world could that make up for that? Manning didn't play parts of games plenty of times during the season, and when the Colts had that sizable lead late in games, he was handing the ball off and securing the game rather than continuing to run up the score through the air and throwing bombs downfield. The Patriots had to throw the ball all over the field against teams late into games for Brady to reach what Manning did and even then Manning had his record in 15 games.

Most of that is true, but for the record, Sorgi only threw four passes before the week 17 matchup against Denver. Nonetheless, the point you make about Manning handing the ball off and securing the game is spot on. I'm sure Peyton could have easily tossed a few more scores if the Colts wanted to "run up the score." No offense to Tom Brady, but it's a lot easier to toss 50 scores when you're throwing some of them at times when most teams are running out the clock. God knows Brady threw touchdowns in the fourth quarter when the team was already up by 20+ (i.e. vs. Buffalo or vs. Washington). I think it's safe to say Manning would have 50-55 scores if Dungy's philosophy was to keep scoring late in games.
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Champagne Supernova » Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:57 pm

PMoneyTKE wrote:Whose Mariano? :-b

This is a discussion of the best closers of all time right?
Champagne Supernova
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby bruuno2 » Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:19 pm

Crap......................i'm too late.Give Dan another vote please.Dont be so surprised! ;-D
Dan Marino......Greatest QB of all time!You sure did own Canton!
bruuno2
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:52 pm

Obviously I'm biased since I'm a Pats fan, but I'd hafta go with Brady here. The reason I can't really see voting for Marino is, despite the extra yards and approximately the same amount of TD's, he had 9 extra INTs. While the 50 TD's really stands out for Brady, so do the lack of INTs. As for Peyton, his stats were just like Brady's, just a little bit worse in pretty much every category. Also, Brady can't get any less far than Manning did, and even if they lose to SD, it's only 1 game less than Marino. If the Pats win the superbowl, it's hard not to give this to Brady.

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby mattb47 » Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:04 am

Why is it so easy for Pats fans to overlook the fact that so much of Brady's numbers and TDs were manufactured by a coach that felt that he had to throw the ball all over the field late into games when pretty much any other team (including the 04 Colts) would be running the football? If Manning would have been throwing all year when they got up big, he could have had closer to 60 TDs on the year with the way he was effortlessly picking defenses to pieces all year. If you notice, Manning STILL had a better passer rating despite having 1 fewer TD and 2 more INTs. He had nearly the same amount of TD passes despite throwing 81 fewer passes during the season.

If you take the numbers Manning had and add those 81 attempts, this is what you would come up with based on his averages for that year:

390-578 (67.6%) for 5302 yards, 57 TDs and 12 INTs

Brady: 398-578 (68.9%) for 4806 yards, 50 TDs and 8 INTs

Or we could take it the other way and see how Brady would have done given his averages with 81 fewer attempts:

342-497 (68.9%) for 4134 yards, 43 TDs and 7 INTs

Manning: 336-497 (67.6%) for 4557 yards, 49 TDs and 10 INTs

I think it puts it into perspective a little bit.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk