List your PC specs... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe


Return to Video Games

List your PC specs...

Moderator: Football Moderators

List your PC specs...

Postby bagobonez » Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:39 am

Just curious as to what kind of PC's everyone's using. Mine's an old Dell Dimension 4700, 512MB of Ram and a 128MB graphics card. Can't really play any new games on it anymore, I lack the Ram and Graphics Card.

Looking to upgrade to a Quad Core 6600 processor, 3GB of Ram and a Radeon 3870 512MB graphics card, or possibly a GeForce 8800GT. Both those cards are going for around $250 right now, but I lean towards the Radeon because it's Crossfire enabled so I could always add a second graphics card onto it later if that one becomes obsolete after a while.

What's your PC look like?
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
Image
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 4463
Joined: 23 Jun 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Atop my league's fantasy throne

Re: List your PC specs...

Postby logan » Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:52 pm

custom built

asus p5wd2e premiun mobo
pentium d 3.0 chip w/aftermarket freezer pro 7 hs and fan
2 10,000 rpm western digital raptors
evga geforce 7900 gt ko 256mb w/aftermarket zalman vga cooler
4 gig of corsair xms2 ddr2 800 ram
creative X-Fi XtremeGamer Fatal1ty Professional Series
Antec TRUEPOWERII TPII-550 ATX12V 550W Power Supply
samsung dvdrw/cdrw combo drive
windows xp rofessional (32 bit)
Hanns·G HW-192DJB Gloss Black 19" 5ms DVI Widescreen LCD Monitor
abs stealth silver aluminum case with a front 120 mm thermaltake fan and two 2 60 mm thermaltake exhaust fans
Image
logan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 7273
(Past Year: 12)
Joined: 4 Jun 2004
Home Cafe: Football

Re: List your PC specs...

Postby SniperShot » Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:31 pm

I use a laptop right now as my main computer.

Inspiron 1520, Intel Core 2 Duo T7500, 2.2GHz, 800Mhz, 4M L2 Cache
4GB RAM, DDR2, 667MHz 2 Dimm
256MB NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT
160G 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive

Runs Half-Life 2 Episode 2 and CS:Source perfect and that's all I could ask for out of a laptop.

Going into the purchase I knew I was getting a NVIDIA card. I will never go with ATI+Dell combo again. Pretty much all my Dell+ATI experiences have resulted in numerous video card problems. So far this 8600M GT card from NVIDIA with 256 dedicated RAM has been sweeeet. If anyone has $1200 to spend on a laptop I highly recommend the above! (Grandparents rock!) :-b
SniperShot
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 7511
(Past Year: 14)
Joined: 27 Aug 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Fairfax, VA

Re: List your PC specs...

Postby Twisted Sister » Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:47 pm

bagobonez wrote:Just curious as to what kind of PC's everyone's using. Mine's an old Dell Dimension 4700, 512MB of Ram and a 128MB graphics card. Can't really play any new games on it anymore, I lack the Ram and Graphics Card.

Looking to upgrade to a Quad Core 6600 processor, 3GB of Ram and a Radeon 3870 512MB graphics card, or possibly a GeForce 8800GT. Both those cards are going for around $250 right now, but I lean towards the Radeon because it's Crossfire enabled so I could always add a second graphics card onto it later if that one becomes obsolete after a while.

What's your PC look like?


The Q6600 is a dream to overclock. Probably, pound for pound, the best consumer CPU on the market right now. Just make sure to get the GO stepping version (really important).

If you're going Vista, I'd recommend Vista 64. Seemless vs. 32 bit Vista, plus I've got 6Gbs of RAM (that can all be used).

For most action/FPS games, you will be GPU bound (Crysis doesn't even max out my e4300... overclocked or not)... so spending the $250 or more is a great investment. The only games you need Quad core are for some of the new RTS games. I'd rather get a dual core and spend a little more on a GPU - but if you can get both... go for it.

Powersupply (PSU), get a quality one (about $150). Clean juice is like oil in an engine. Plus, if you're looking to OC the Q6600 + Crossfire... you'll need at least 750W PSU.

Sounds like your old computer was single chip, man are you in for treat. I can play games, run music, watch movies, and surf the net... all at the same time (works best with dual monitors)... talk about stimulation overload.

I just realized that I assumed you were building yourself... is that right?

Have fun!!
Twisted Sister
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 2822
Joined: 19 Apr 2006
Home Cafe: Football

Re: List your PC specs...

Postby Free Bagel » Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:28 pm

I'm going to be building a new rig soon as my current one is showing some bigtime signs of age (I first put it together almost 7 years ago). I don't do much heavy PC gaming (that may change when SC2 comes out though) and use it mostly for video editing and day to day tasks so I'm thinking of just going with an e2180, which is down under 60 bucks shipped now, and getting as much overclocking out of it as I can. Will probably go with 4gb ram and a bunch of HD space (more than a TB) along side it. May hold off on the video card until closer to SC2's release.
Image
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
Posts: 8495
Joined: 25 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Titletown, FL

Re: List your PC specs...

Postby bagobonez » Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:41 pm

I ended up with an AMD 6000+ dual core processor, and went with the GeForce 8800GT. The motherboard on my computer doesn't support crossfire or SLI, so I went with a 500W power supply instead of 750. The 500 has worked fine so far, and that's with me playing Crysis with the sliders maxed out. I didn't overclock my card, but I did change the fan speed from the default of 29% to 75% so that it will cool it better.

This should last me a few years for gaming. 320GB hard drive, 3 GB of Ram. Crysis is the most graphically demanding game out there, and I can run it with the sliders maxed out and still get a good frame rate, so I'm definitely pleased. I hear the quad core processor doesn't really help with frame rates on games, with the exception of Valve games for some reason, so I saved my money and just went with the dual core instead.

It feels good to be able to play new games again! I was starting to feel left behind!
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
Image
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 4463
Joined: 23 Jun 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Atop my league's fantasy throne

Re: List your PC specs...

Postby Twisted Sister » Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:44 pm

Free Bagel wrote:I'm going to be building a new rig soon as my current one is showing some bigtime signs of age (I first put it together almost 7 years ago). I don't do much heavy PC gaming (that may change when SC2 comes out though) and use it mostly for video editing and day to day tasks so I'm thinking of just going with an e2180, which is down under 60 bucks shipped now, and getting as much overclocking out of it as I can. Will probably go with 4gb ram and a bunch of HD space (more than a TB) along side it. May hold off on the video card until closer to SC2's release.


Sounds like a decent game plan. However, if you really are HEAVY into video editing... quad core CPU is the ONLY way to go. If video editing is just for fun, and you can walk away from your computer for a while, then a a e2180 Oc'd is as good as any. However, you'll probably enjoy video editing a whole lot more with a Oc'd quad.

For gamers, I'd recommend saving the $$ and staying dual core, but for video editing... no contest - quad all the way.

I guess you're going Vista 64?

Holding off on the GPU is a good idea, there are some new Nvidia products coming out soon.
Twisted Sister
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 2822
Joined: 19 Apr 2006
Home Cafe: Football

Re: List your PC specs...

Postby Free Bagel » Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:30 pm

Twisted Sister wrote:
Free Bagel wrote:I'm going to be building a new rig soon as my current one is showing some bigtime signs of age (I first put it together almost 7 years ago). I don't do much heavy PC gaming (that may change when SC2 comes out though) and use it mostly for video editing and day to day tasks so I'm thinking of just going with an e2180, which is down under 60 bucks shipped now, and getting as much overclocking out of it as I can. Will probably go with 4gb ram and a bunch of HD space (more than a TB) along side it. May hold off on the video card until closer to SC2's release.


Sounds like a decent game plan. However, if you really are HEAVY into video editing... quad core CPU is the ONLY way to go. If video editing is just for fun, and you can walk away from your computer for a while, then a a e2180 Oc'd is as good as any. However, you'll probably enjoy video editing a whole lot more with a Oc'd quad.

For gamers, I'd recommend saving the $$ and staying dual core, but for video editing... no contest - quad all the way.

I guess you're going Vista 64?

Holding off on the GPU is a good idea, there are some new Nvidia products coming out soon.


Hmmm, sounds like you're just the person I'm looking for ;-D

I am, admittedly, a complete noob when it comes to video editing. It's always been something I've been interested in getting into, so I finally got motivated and started with it. Thus far all I've done is some playing around in Pinnacle, PowerDirector, etc.

I was under the impression that most of these software packages didn't really take advantage of multicore processors. I won't be using a Mac so Final Cut is it, but I could get into Premiere at some point.

So if I decided to spend some on the processor the Q6600 would be a better choice than say, the e8400 dual core for video editing purposes? How much of a boost would the Q6600 give me over the e2180 and the e8400?

EDIT: Whoops, also wanted to ask why Vista 64 for video editing?
Image
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
Posts: 8495
Joined: 25 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Titletown, FL

Re: List your PC specs...

Postby bagobonez » Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:26 pm

Twisted Sister wrote:
Free Bagel wrote:I'm going to be building a new rig soon as my current one is showing some bigtime signs of age (I first put it together almost 7 years ago). I don't do much heavy PC gaming (that may change when SC2 comes out though) and use it mostly for video editing and day to day tasks so I'm thinking of just going with an e2180, which is down under 60 bucks shipped now, and getting as much overclocking out of it as I can. Will probably go with 4gb ram and a bunch of HD space (more than a TB) along side it. May hold off on the video card until closer to SC2's release.


Sounds like a decent game plan. However, if you really are HEAVY into video editing... quad core CPU is the ONLY way to go. If video editing is just for fun, and you can walk away from your computer for a while, then a a e2180 Oc'd is as good as any. However, you'll probably enjoy video editing a whole lot more with a Oc'd quad.

For gamers, I'd recommend saving the $$ and staying dual core, but for video editing... no contest - quad all the way.

I guess you're going Vista 64?

Holding off on the GPU is a good idea, there are some new Nvidia products coming out soon.


Yup. The GeForce 9600GT 512MB graphics card is supposed to only cost around $160 and is only slightly less powerful than the GeForce 8800GT, which I bought for $250. Definitely good bang for your buck if you can wait until the 9600GT hits shelves, which shouldn't be long from now.
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
Image
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 4463
Joined: 23 Jun 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Atop my league's fantasy throne


Return to Video Games

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Start & Sit Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2014 NFL season kicks off in 12:12 hours
(and 37 days)
2014 NFL Schedule


  • Fantasy Football
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact