Walker to be traded? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Walker to be traded?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Walker to be traded?

Postby bdubb510 » Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:37 am

Javon Walker: To Be Traded?

This is from Rotoworld. His knee injuries all year are a screaming red flag:

Javon Walker said Monday that he believes it might be in the Broncos' best interests to trade him this offseason.

"It's not that they don't want me here, but I just don't think it's the best fit for me," Walker told the AP before his exit interview with coach Mike Shanahan. "If it's not the best situation for me, it's the best situation for Brandon Marshall," he added. Walker's contract and knee make him nearly untradeable, and Walker said he won't restructure his deal.
bdubb510
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Walker to be traded?

Postby mikus » Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:43 pm

This would not surprise me, especially with the emergence of Brandon Marshall. But I will leave the degree of its possibility up to the people who know more about contracts and salary cap implications.
Thanks to madaslives911 for the sweet sig!
The Hazean: Fantasy football galore
mikus
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Location: Same place as every other blogger: My Mom's basement. That is where bloggers work, right?

Postby stomperrob » Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:05 pm

More details:

No demands, but Walker hints he may want to be dealt
By Lee Rasizer, Rocky Mountain News
Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Javon Walker wants out.

Or maybe he doesn't.

What was clear in a final Broncos locker room interview that frequently lacked clarity is the receiver doesn't believe he's a "fit" and would be receptive to moving on this offseason.

"What it boils down to at this point is I've got to go where the best fit is for me," he said.

Walker, after a contract snit and a season-ending knee injury in 2005, previously forced the Green Bay Packers' hands by going public with a promise never to play for the franchise again. He was dealt to Denver on draft day in April 2006 and emerged with 69 catches for 1,084 yards and eight touchdowns.

At various points, Walker appeared to be trying to go public with his dissatisfaction Monday, saying, "You all will see me somewhere along down the road in another situation."

But when asked directly if he was going to ask to be dealt, he was murky.

"Um, well, you know what, it depends on them. If they deal me, yeah," he said. "If not, then it's a good thing. Whatever helps them out."

Walker's contract will need to be addressed regardless. His salary-cap figure for 2008 is $7.05 million. But getting rid of him would accelerate prorated monies to the tune of $8 million, plus a significant penalty for not picking up part of the $5.4 million in bonuses he'll be owed in the coming months.

Walker started the season as the team's No. 1 receiver but struggled after having a cyst removed. He recently estimated he was at 75 percent health but would return fully next season. He finished with 26 catches for 246 yards and two touchdowns.

He started in place of injured Brandon Stokley in Sunday's win against Minnesota and had two catches for 16 yards.

Asked what kind of system would fit him in the future, Walker pointed to his former team.

"Green Bay made me who I was for a team like this to want to bring me here," he said. "Maybe it takes a team like that to go back."

Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Postby eaglesfan » Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:20 pm

I love to see him in Eagle green ;-D
10 Team, H2H, PPR
Lineup:
E. Manning - T. Romo
W. Welker - R. Cobb - H. Nicks
M. Forte - D. Sproles - CJ Spiller - S. Ridley
J. Finley - K. Rudolph
M. Bryant
Arizona - Green Bay
eaglesfan
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby EWSPECIALTY » Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:23 pm

Walker an eagle would do wonders for Westbrook ...and i guess McNabb. I wouldn't mind him as a wing man for Andre Johnson in houston though. Walker will contribute big time where ever he plays. I don't understand why he would be upset with the Broncos though. Unless he is just preparing mentally for a trade or something to that affect.
Anything Worth Doing Is Worth Doing Right!
EWSPECIALTY
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby steelerfan513 » Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:31 pm

Walker's knee injury will prevent him from being traded for any sort of value, so I'm betting he stays. If he does leave, Brandon Marshall gains some value, and Brandon Stokley gains a ton of value.
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby beanoX3 » Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:40 pm

Walker just sounds to me like he's jealous of Marshall. Wanting to be traded out of his second team now, not a good trend to be setting.
The cake is a lie.
beanoX3
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby moochman » Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:44 pm

beanoX3 wrote:Walker just sounds to me like he's jealous of Marshall. Wanting to be traded out of his second team now, not a good trend to be setting.

Sounds to me as if the team has told him he isn't in their long term plans and he is putting out feelers. Makes me wonder just how sound his legs are.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby wbgrafix » Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:10 pm

I love to see him in Eagle green

I believe Walker was in Philly getting a physical and the team was all ready to give their 2nd round pick to Green bay, but Denver swooped in because theirs was higher.

If Walker passed a physical, and Denver accepted a third, I would welcome him in a heartbeat.
wbgrafix
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby eaglesrule » Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:07 pm

eagles pick had to be not just better, but significantly better for the Packers to send him I remember, as they didn't want him on the Eagles. Now, I don't see the point in trading him from Denver's spot.
The opening scene of the movie "Saving Private Ryan" is loosely based on games of dodgeball Brian Dawkins played in second grade.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Football Talk