Return to Detroit Lions

Roy Williams speaks out

Moderator: Football Moderators

Roy Williams speaks out

Postby stomperrob » Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:08 pm

ROY WILLIAMS INTERVIEW PART ONE: Martz's firing 'might have been a good move'
January 8, 2008
FREE PRESS NEWS SERVICES

Detroit Lions wide receiver Roy Williams was on WDFN AM Monday.
Below is part one of a two-part transcript of the interview:

On his health:

“I’m good. I’m real good. I think the media’s not 100%, but I felt like I could have played last week, maybe not a full game, but my presence could have been felt out there a little bit.”

On the Lions’ collapse:

“You know, I don’t know. I think all three phases of our football team wasn’t very good for some reason. I think the offense didn’t show up, the defense didn’t show up at times, the special teams didn’t show up at times, and maybe one of those three units will show up. But in order to be competitive, you have to have two out of the three to show up, and to get a victory, you need all three to show up.”

On bad luck during the season:

“That (luck) goes for everybody. Even the Patriots going 16-0 needed some luck. So you gotta have a little luck involved in the game, and our luck wasn’t so good.”

On Rod Marinelli’s message:

“As far as pound the rock? You do have to pound the rock, man. You just have to learn from your mistakes and put it over here and leave it alone and continue forward. It’s a football team that’s growing, and it’s been growing since I’ve been here. I think we’re getting better and better each year and I’m looking for big things next year. You learn something every year, and I think this year we really did learn what the word ‘finish’ means. All we had to do was win three out of eight games and we won one.”

On the team’s improvement for next year:

“I think that we’re still going to keep the same offense, but we won’t do as much with 300 plays, and work with some of the plays that we have. So I think simplifying the offense is going to be good for this football team because our offensive line can concentrate on certain protections and make it easier. And have some bread-and-butter runs that teams know we’re going to run and just have to get ready to stop it. I don’t think we had that. I think we’re just going to be a real Rod Marinelli team and pound it down your throat and throw it up top for the two big guys.”

On his feelings about Mike Martz’ departure:

“I was kind of upset a little bit, just because I know what kind of coach he can be. I think he’s brought out the best in my game and I think he’s taught me a lot about the game of football, especially at the NFL level. It was kind of hard but everything happens for a reason. Everybody talks about us not running the football and when we ran it 25 times or more we won, and that’s just a little bit hard for him to do.”

On the timing of Martz firing:

“I would have liked to have seen him stay another year. As far as everything going on with the football team, I think that might have been a good move.”

On the players giving up on Martz:

“I don’t know if they gave up on him, because he has that reputation and his offense can put up points at any moment, even though we didn’t. He just has that go about himself that he can make this miraculous play call that’s going to work and we’re going to put up 21 points in the quarter, which it didn’t happen.”

On too much complexity to Martz’ offense:

“We had a lot of problems offensively. I can only speak offensively. I think a lot of receivers did an O.K. job this year. I went down with an injury, Calvin was learning as he was going, so I don’t think he was playing at his max potential because he was kind of confused with where to go and how do I run this and how do I beat this person instead of just being relaxed and playing to that 4.3 speed that he has. Our offensive line, they were inconsistent because bodies were coming in and coming out. Damien Woody was inactive, where I felt he should have been playing, but he’s inactive and he comes in at right tackle and plays his butt off. I hope that he is back next year. I hope that they repay him and we have that right tackle solidified with Damien Woody. Quarterback, I think that has a lot to do with the offense, throwing it 40 times a game. That’s tough on a quarterback, when you have to do that 40 times a game so you’re going to throw picks and you’re going to throw touchdowns and you’re going to make some plays that you wish you wouldn’t have made and our running back situation, that’s a tough situation. We traded for Dre Bly to get Tatum Bell who’s a speedster, who I think is a playmaker, and we didn’t give him a chance. We sat him on the sidelines, I thought that he could have helped us, and unfortunately he didn’t.”

ROY WILLIAMS INTERVIEW PART TWO: We've got to draft defense; Lions sold on Drew Stanton
January 8, 2008
FREE PRESS NEWS SERVICES

Detroit Lions wide receiver Roy Williams was on WDFN AM Monday.
Below is the conclusion of the interview:

On needing a new quarterback:

“We have J.T. and we have Drew, and I think they’re really sold on Drew being the backup and one day being the starter here. But if one of those quarterbacks fall into our lap, like the Ryan kid, or if we happen to make a trade to get up, I think they might do that. Kitna is getting to be 97 years old, so we do need that solid backup.”

On drafting a defensive player:

“Oh yeah, we’ve got to draft defense. We’re going to have to go defense, and I’m not saying anything about our defensive players, but we do need some defensive help and I think the offense will take care of itself. I think we need a couple more playmakers on defense that’s going to make the plays, and that’s why I didn’t really want to get rid of Dre, even though he doesn’t fit the system because he’s not going to tackle. But as far as going his way, you’re going to fear it throwing his way because he would’ve had seven to eight picks this year.”

On the new offensive coordinators:

“You’re right, maybe this shows those guys that it’s their time. This is their step. They go out there and prove what they can do and one of these years we’ll lose these guys to a head coaching job or something somewhere. I’m confident in these guys, I think we’re going to run the same offense, we’ll just cut back a lot. I think that they’re going to be fine, they’re going to do a good job, and I think guys are going to respect them and Jim is a guy who likes to run the football, he’s an offensive line coach, so he’s going to want to run the football and he’s not stupid, he knows that you also have to pass the football. He’s a run guy first, and I’m perfectly fine with that.”

On the trade rumors:

“I have no choice about it. When Chris Chambers got traded, he didn’t know, they just told him and he had to go. I have nothing to do with that, all I can do is play my role and play my part. I think that I’ve made plays for this football team and done some good things for this football team and this town, and looking in their eyes and even the fans eyes, you can see where that can come up. They drafted Calvin, who maybe one day will be the No. 1 receiver here, so I am kind of an expendable guy.”

On wanting to be traded:

“No, I want to be right here. I feel that I can groom Calvin because I’m going to put a lot of pressure on him to be the No. 1 guy. I always say that he can be the No. 1 guy, but I’m not just going to sit there and be like ‘Here, you’re the No. 1 guy now.’ He’s going to have to come and show up and compete every day and help this team win and become that No. 1 guy.”

On believing in the front office plan:

“I’m excited that we don’t have a Top 10 pick this year. I know Matt is just as excited about not having to spend that much money on another rookie. I think they do have a plan, I think every team has a plan. The Cleveland Browns had a great turnaround season this year, they missed the playoffs by one game. We were in that same boat, even though we didn’t win 10 games like they did, I think we’re in the same boat as that team and the Cardinals. So I think they have a plan.”

On what that plan is exactly:

“Offensively, I think they’ve done a good job of putting a good offensive team together. I think that they’re still looking for a younger leader that’s going to guide us. The plan was that Joey was still going to be here at this point in time. The plan was that Charles was going to be here at this point in time. So was Mike. Unfortunately, we had to go to plan B. It’s tough being a GM, it’s tough being in Matt Millen’s position because you have this vision, you have this plan, and it looks good, everybody thinks it’s good, and then when it goes bad, what a dumb pick. So that’s a tough position to be in.”

On Marinelli two years in:

“I think everybody just wanted a fresh start. I think everybody just wants to start over, I think everybody just wants to get healthy and see what this year can bring. We have the AFC South and the NFC South this year, which is two good divisions but very winnable games. We have a pretty good schedule that we can get some wins in, and we’ll just see what happens but I think everybody’s still into Rod and I think he has to get to know some players a little bit more and have some fun with this thing. You know, let’s laugh and joke, let’s not be so uptight all the time and have a great time.”

Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Roy Williams speaks out

Postby moochman » Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:10 pm

You learn something every year, and I think this year we really did learn what the word ‘finish’ means. All we had to do was win three out of eight games and we won one.”

Does first down Roy know what finish means? Did he see his team finish by losing to a second stringers in Green Bay?

“Oh yeah, we’ve got to draft defense. We’re going to have to go defense, and I’m not saying anything about our defensive players, but we do need some defensive help and I think the offense will take care of itself. I think we need a couple more playmakers on defense that’s going to make the plays, and that’s why I didn’t really want to get rid of Dre, even though he doesn’t fit the system because he’s not going to tackle. But as far as going his way, you’re going to fear it throwing his way because he would’ve had seven to eight picks this year.”

We didn't get rid of Dre becuase he wouldn't tackle, he wanted out. Why doesn't someone tell Roy that when he is asked about anything other than the WR that it is prefectly fine to say "I dunno, I play WR". Roy is nothing if not a real Lion: Talk Talk Talk.

“I think everybody just wanted a fresh start. I think everybody just wants to start over, I think everybody just wants to get healthy and see what this year can bring. We have the AFC South and the NFC South this year, which is two good divisions but very winnable games. We have a pretty good schedule that we can get some wins in, and we’ll just see what happens but I think everybody’s still into Rod and I think he has to get to know some players a little bit more and have some fun with this thing. You know, let’s laugh and joke, let’s not be so uptight all the time and have a great time.”

That seems a very damning statement to me. Roy is spouting off about the lack of fun and uptight attitude of the coaches after saying that everybody just wanted to get healthy and get a fresh start. Sounds like a lot of the team quit on this season as soon as adversity set in. And I don't mean fly to Oakland on game day adversity. This sounds to me like were the Lions to get off to a poor start next season this team will quit on Rod and he will probably lose his job.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby dream_017 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:09 am

moochman wrote:Roy is nothing if not a real Lion: Talk Talk Talk.

I didn't hear the original interview, but I did read this post and thought that same thing as you Mooch. I heard most if not all of his Monday interviews on WDFN this year and last and he is a really good talker. When I'm listening to it, I think yeah, he's right...then the more I digest it, I think to myself, he is just talking to hear himself talk and giving the people what they want to hear. I think he has loosened up a lot since coming into the league, but he has a lot to learn. From his TD and first down celebration explainations to his everything is fine as long as we win comments, he needs to learn when to say things and what to say.
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 59)

Postby moochman » Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:24 am

dream_017 wrote:
moochman wrote:Roy is nothing if not a real Lion: Talk Talk Talk.

I didn't hear the original interview, but I did read this post and thought that same thing as you Mooch. I heard most if not all of his Monday interviews on WDFN this year and last and he is a really good talker. When I'm listening to it, I think yeah, he's right...then the more I digest it, I think to myself, he is just talking to hear himself talk and giving the people what they want to hear. I think he has loosened up a lot since coming into the league, but he has a lot to learn. From his TD and first down celebration explainations to his everything is fine as long as we win comments, he needs to learn when to say things and what to say.

What I do love about Roy is that he is too egocentric to realize when he sounds self-absorbed. He can talk of how things are all good as long as we win, but he can't do it well enough to disguise that it is lip service. But once he starts talking about himself, first down celebrations when we're down by 21 or how if they get the ball to him more he could help....never once stopping to address why they don't get the ball to him more. He is all-talk Roy, the human first down signal.
If Rod Moronelli reads as well as watching film Roy could be on his way out. This article doesn't sound like Roy is on board.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Return to Detroit Lions