Moderator: Football Moderators

Fans speak out...

Postby stomperrob » Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:27 pm

...as they do every season, and as usual their protests will fall on deaf ears:

Monday, January 7, 2008
Terry Foster: Terry's Town
Lions fans venting frustration

When is enough enough?

For John Eldon of South Lyon it came after the Lions were drilled 51-14 by the San Diego Chargers. He's not coming back to Ford Field, despite a 7-9 season by the Lions. He's tired of the losing and he's tired of Matt Millen being in charge of the team. That is why he is giving up his club-level season tickets.

"I really can't afford them anyway," said Eldon, who is in the construction business. "If they were a decent team, more people would try to afford them even in bad times."

Eldon placed his final tickets of the season against Kansas City in an envelope and sent them to a radio station to be given away. When his season-ticket renewal comes in the mail, he said he is not sending it back in. This comes after six seasons of frustration, and Eldon is part of a growing number of frustrated Lions fans.

For instance, Rick Sams of Holly wants to hold a Lions roundtable to discuss the team. That might not be a bad idea. People would show up and vent. Most fans, however, will renew season tickets because they love NFL football and believe the day they give up their tickets, the Lions will turn things around. Eldon was one of those people. But now he is convinced nothing will change.

Besides, he is turning his back on the Lions for his mental stability. This season, Eldon became sullen and depressed following losses. The Lions are 31-81 since Millen came to town, so there have been a lot of miserable Sundays.

Now Elson feels better after wiping his hands clean of the Lions.

"I am no longer storming around after a loss or being giddy if they pull one out," he said. "When they lost, I used to be irritable the rest of the day. Now I am apathetic. I don't care one way or the other."

Putting it in writing
When is enough enough?

The number of blowouts upset John Belisle of Imlay City. He is just 22 years old so he does not have a full understanding of the Lions' history: one playoff victory the last 50 years. However, he also is fed up after watching the Lions lose six games by three touchdowns or more.

Belisle began asking for Millen's head in an online petition that he plans to send to the Lions. It went online a week ago and already has 100 signatures. We all know his push won't work. But let's all sign the petition anyway to show our dissatisfaction.

You can find it online at: ipetitions.com/petition/FireMillen07

"Matt Millen runs the team and he is not doing a very good job, obviously," Belisle said. "I know this is not going to make a difference, but I had to at least give it a try and have something on paper so the Fords and Millen can see the view of the fans."

Belisle also was angered by the Lions' 1-7 second half, after they began 6-2. He said fired offensive coordinator Mike Martz joins a long list of scapegoats in the Millen era.

"There is a scapegoat every year," he said. "And Matt Millen can't take the blame for anything. They ended the season like they do every season. I am tired of watching terrible football and with nothing being done about it."

Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Fans speak out...

Postby dream_017 » Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:25 am

stomperrob wrote:Most fans, however, will renew season tickets because they love NFL football and believe the day they give up their tickets, the Lions will turn things around.

This would be me :-B
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 70)

Postby moochman » Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:57 pm

dream_017 wrote:
stomperrob wrote:Most fans, however, will renew season tickets because they love NFL football and believe the day they give up their tickets, the Lions will turn things around.

This would be me :-B

The Lions won't turn it around regardless of what you do with your tix, Dream. We need Willaim Caly to decay and someone to take a blow torch to the FO. When and if that will happen is anyone's guess.
But keep your seats because there simply aren't that many teams in the league and you have the privelege to watch one good team 8 times a year. Buying their ticket is an endorsement of the NFL, not of the Lions.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

Postby dream_017 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:14 am

moochman wrote:The Lions won't turn it around regardless of what you do with your tix, Dream. We need Willaim Caly to decay and someone to take a blow torch to the FO. When and if that will happen is anyone's guess.
But keep your seats because there simply aren't that many teams in the league and you have the privelege to watch one good team 8 times a year. Buying their ticket is an endorsement of the NFL, not of the Lions.

No worries, I do enjoy going and watching NFL football in person. Obviously the past few years have made it somewhat difficult seeing some potential and then laying an egg or giving up last drive TD to lose, but for the most part I have had fun. This year helped with having some nice wins and then the 6-2 start. You are also right about seeing other NFL teams. I'll have to take a look but I think I have seen just about every team now which is pretty cool in itself. Now if we could only get cheerleaders for those games that I have no business staying at ;-7
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby moochman » Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:19 am

No cheerleaders is a classic reaction ot a problem brought about by their own incompetence. When they were in the Silverdome and sucked-pre Barry days-fans started drinking rather heavily. This, methinks, was in response to the frustration of a poor economic climate and a frustratingly poorly run franchise that in addition to sucking also was very cheap. How does this lead to no cheerleaders? The cheaparse Lions decided to have highschool cheerleaders at their games at little to no cost to them. Problem was that many of the frustrated heavy drinking rowdy fans ended up harrassing this highschool girls so much so that they had to be eliminated from games.
In classic Lions thinking they thought to not replace the cheerleaders with pros and to up security in those areas, but that it would be better simply not to have them.
Why is this classic Lions? Becuase it lashes out at the people the team is supposed to be serving. Fans don't get to the the cheerleaders that they must want given the popularity of cheer squads in other cities. The team doesn't generate any revenue from cheerleader stuff, and the community loses out on some charitable activities that these squads frequently contribute to in the community they serve.
So everyone suffers, including the franchise itself, but William Clay gets to punish the fans who dared to express their displeasure over his inepitude.

moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby dream_017 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:43 am

moochman wrote:No cheerleaders is a classic reaction ot a problem brought about by their own incompetence. When they were in the Silverdome and sucked-pre Barry days-fans started drinking rather heavily. This, methinks, was in response to the frustration of a poor economic climate and a frustratingly poorly run franchise that in addition to sucking also was very cheap. How does this lead to no cheerleaders? The cheaparse Lions decided to have highschool cheerleaders at their games at little to no cost to them. Problem was that many of the frustrated heavy drinking rowdy fans ended up harrassing this highschool girls so much so that they had to be eliminated from games.
In classic Lions thinking they thought to not replace the cheerleaders with pros and to up security in those areas, but that it would be better simply not to have them.
Why is this classic Lions? Becuase it lashes out at the people the team is supposed to be serving. Fans don't get to the the cheerleaders that they must want given the popularity of cheer squads in other cities. The team doesn't generate any revenue from cheerleader stuff, and the community loses out on some charitable activities that these squads frequently contribute to in the community they serve.
So everyone suffers, including the franchise itself, but William Clay gets to punish the fans who dared to express their displeasure over his inepitude.

but they do have a drumline :-S
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

Postby moochman » Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:40 pm

dream_017 wrote:but they do have a drumline :-S

Kind of like a cheap cheer squad with weapons, eh? :-b

moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Return to Detroit Lions