Martz in red and gold - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Martz in red and gold

Moderator: Football Moderators

Martz in red and gold

Postby JasonSeahorn » Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:36 pm

NFL Network's Adam Schefter reports that the 49ers have hired Mike Martz as their offensive coordinator Tuesday.
Jan. 8 - 4:28 pm et

from rotoworld. how does this affect their offense? gore? davis? alex smith?

i'm not worried about gore's numbers, he can do dump off passes fine. i've heard that martz doesn't like to use tight ends....is vernon in trouble?

Thanks to deluxe_247 for sig, he is welcome to sail with the Captain too!

I will win all of the fantasy cafe games.....next year
JasonSeahorn
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Martz in red and gold

Postby Stelly » Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:59 pm

Should we be concerned that Gore's rushing attempts will take a big hit? Granted, they were pretty low this season anyway. Maybe lessing rushing but more receiving looks?
10-Team, non-PPR

QB:
RB: R. Rice, CJ Spiller
WR: AJ Green
K:
Def:
Stelly
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)

Postby SniperShot » Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:03 pm

With the WR situation in San Fran right now Vernon is far from in trouble.
SniperShot
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 14)

Postby LoveBoatCaptain » Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:27 pm

$50 says the 49ers draft a WR with their pick... Oh wait...
LoveBoatCaptain
Head Coach
Head Coach

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Kensat30 » Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:36 pm

Love this hire.

We're looking at double digit % increases across the board from the Niner offense next year. The playcalling was downright stupid under the first-time OC we used to replace Norv. And maybe Martz will even have to balls to keep playing Shaun Hill (who looked better in two games than Alex Smith ever has). Fact is, Hostler (former OC) was hopelessly lost trying to run Turner's offense. Might as well bring in a new philosophy from a guy that actually knows how to run it.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby The Lung » Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:21 pm

Anyone that owns Frank Gore, Vernon Davis, or Arnaz Battle in a dynasty league should be jumping for joy right now.
(~);}

(~);}
The Lung

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 61)

Postby biju » Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:28 pm

I think this is a fantastic move for San Francisco long term. Short term, I wonder if they have the proper personel to run a Martz style offense. Of course, they could go a long way to helping if they can acquire someone like Berrian in the offseason.
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby deluxe_247 » Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:07 pm

biju wrote:I think this is a fantastic move for San Francisco long term. Short term, I wonder if they have the proper personel to run a Martz style offense. Of course, they could go a long way to helping if they can acquire someone like Berrian in the offseason.

i agree...i think martz might have his hands full with his lack of solid WR depth. djax certainly didnt pan out as expected and i dont consider battle a super-threat. then again...dilfer was throwing them the rock for a chunk of the year. :-b i really hope they start utilizing davis more...the dudes a beast.

i do think this is a step in the right direction for the 9ers ;-D
deluxe_247
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerBig Sig ChampionMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby stomperrob » Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:03 am

49ers hire Mike Martz as offensive coordinator
Can ex-Rams coach work Magic
John Crumpacker, Chronicle Staff Writer
Tuesday, January 8, 2008

(01-08) 20:42 PST Santa Clara -- One thing's for sure, the 49ers will be lousy with Mikes in 2008. The important thing is that the Mikes not be lousy.

Joining head coach Mike Nolan and assistant head coach Mike Singletary is offensive coordinator Mike Martz, hired Tuesday to build an offense from the ruins of the 2007 season, when the 49ers were the worst team in the league in eight statistical categories.

Martz signed a two-year contract, terms of which were not announced. Nolan has two years left on a contract he signed in 2005. Martz wants to be a head coach again. Nolan might not get another year beyond 2008 if the 49ers do not win. Hmm ...

"Mike's not only an accomplished coach ... but also he's coached in the Super Bowl, won the Super Bowl, won a lot of games," Nolan said. "Mike's got command of the room. He inspires players. If you want to be a great player, Mike's the guy for you."

Nolan announced the hiring of Martz after conducting two in-person interviews (Chan Gailey was the other) while talking to other candidates, such as Cam Cameron and Brian Billick, on the phone. Martz replaces Jim Hostler, who was fired last week.

"The potential is really pretty exciting," Martz said in a conference call. "It's not a challenge, it's an opportunity. Looking at the thing, the potential for this offensive line and building the offense around Frank Gore is exciting."

Martz, 56, recently fired as offensive coordinator in Detroit after two seasons, came in for an interview with Nolan on Sunday. Looking at game film of the 49ers' just-completed season, he apparently saw Gore as a flower resolutely poking through a blighted landscape.

"Frank has receiving skills and is a capable pass-blocker," Martz said. "He's really a complete player. He can be a centerpiece and (you) build around him. To be able to run the ball effectively, the centerpiece of any offense starts with the offensive line. The next piece is the running back. The quarterback has to manage the game."

As an established offensive strategist and former head coach with the St. Louis Rams from 2000-05, Martz will have complete control of the 49ers' offense next season. More important, he brings NFL credibility with him.

Martz takes over an offense that produced the fewest points and fewest yards in the league this past season while giving up the most sacks, 55. The quarterback position is unsettled, as Alex Smith and Shaun Hill (provided he is re-signed) allegedly will compete for the starting job in training camp. The wide receivers were arguably the worst in the NFL in 2007.

While admitting he wants to be a head coach again, Martz said of his new role in San Francisco, "I just love what I'm doing. To come into a situation like this, to put this thing together, is a thrill for me. I really do enjoy, particularly the quarterbacks, helping them achieve something they didn't think they could do."

First as offensive coordinator in 1999 and later as head coach with the Rams, Martz developed Trent Green, Kurt Warner and Marc Bulger into productive starting quarterbacks. Under Martz's tutelage, Warner became the NFL's offensive player of the year, an honor running back Marshall Faulk also earned while in St. Louis.

The challenge for Martz this coming season is to rebuild Smith's confidence and reputation after a wasted 2007 and possibly develop Hill into a capable starter.

Asked his preference among the two, Martz said, "Whoever completes the ball the most. Accuracy is the biggest issue. You won't know that until we get well into camp, getting the ball out quickly and accurately."

In seven games this season, Smith completed 48.7 percent of his passes. In his 2 1/2 games played, Hill hit on 68.4 percent of his throws. It's not an entirely fair comparison, however, since Smith was hurt the final three games he played.

"Mike is the expert on quarterback play, let's not kid ourselves," Nolan said. "That will play itself out (as to who starts) very easily. I don't believe it will be gray. I think it will be pretty clear-cut who that is. If we have two guys pushing hard for the job, I hope that's what it means."

Nolan also announced several other staff changes. Offensive consultant Ted Tollner will be retained in an as-yet unspecified capacity. Running backs coach Bishop Harris and offensive line assistant Mark Nori were fired. Quarterbacks coach Frank Cignetti on Sunday accepted a position on Jeff Tedford's staff at Cal.

The rest of Nolan's offensive staff - receivers coach Jerry Sullivan, tight ends coach Pete Hoener and offensive line coach George Warhop - was retained.

Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Postby beanoX3 » Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:18 am

deluxe_247 wrote:
biju wrote:I think this is a fantastic move for San Francisco long term. Short term, I wonder if they have the proper personel to run a Martz style offense. Of course, they could go a long way to helping if they can acquire someone like Berrian in the offseason.

i agree...i think martz might have his hands full with his lack of solid WR depth. djax certainly didnt pan out as expected and i dont consider battle a super-threat. then again...dilfer was throwing them the rock for a chunk of the year. :-b i really hope they start utilizing davis more...the dudes a beast.

i do think this is a step in the right direction for the 9ers ;-D

There's a chance Martz and Isaac Bruce might be reunited. Bruce is due a $2 mil bonus or something and getting closer to 40 than 30. Rams might not want to pay that.
The cake is a lie.
beanoX3
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Next

Return to Football Talk