Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Martz in red and gold

Postby The Lung » Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:19 pm

From: http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=336203

Fantasy: Don't turn away from the Gore
January 12, 2008

Chris Bahr
Sporting News

It started so well this year. Remember when the Lions were 6-2, Jon Kitna was a fantasy golden boy, and everyone still thought Mike Martz was the Lions' head coach. My, how things have changed. Detroit took a "Thank God You're Here" ratings-like nosedive, Kitna threw 14 INTs (and just eight TD passes) during the team's 1-7 finish, and Martz was fired after forgetting that running the ball more than nine times per game now is legal.

But it didn't take Martz long to find employment. He is the new offensive coordinator in San Francisco, and it's only a matter of time before he is mistaken for the team's head coach. Quick, can you even name the Niners' head coach? And, no, George Seifert still isn't doing the bossa nova near the Bay.

The reaction to the Martz news was one of panic for those who chose (or will choose) to keep Frank Gore. It's no secret that Martz favors the air attack the way the human body favors breathing. But upon further review, this hire actually might help Gore. Here's why:

• To be successful (and rebuild his "offensive genius" reputation), Martz must build his offense around his best player. That clearly is Gore. Gore might not run the ball 25 times per game, but you can bet he'll touch the ball that many times. Have we forgotten the outstanding performances Marshall Faulk had in Martz's offense? Gore has 114 receptions the past two seasons, so he is more than capable of being an option as a receiver out of the backfield.
  • Hello! San Francisco doesn't have a passing game to fall in love with. Heck, the 49ers aren't even sure which (hoping-to-be-mediocre) QB they'll start in 2008. In addition, San Francisco doesn't have the wideouts to run the same kind of attack Martz did in St. Louis, or even Detroit. Unlike in Martz's previous two coaching stops, his best pass catcher probably is his tight end -- Vernon Davis. Things are about to change.

So, don't panic, and don't assume that Gore's dismal 2007 is going to lead to a disastrous 2008. As it is, Gore already will slip further than he should on draft day. Assuming your rival owners buy into the Martz-will-ruin-Gore-even-more school of thought, he'll become an even more attractive first-round target..
(~);}

(~);}
The Lung

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 61)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby TheDiplomats » Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:20 pm

I think Martz will adjust to the players that SF has. Look for big years from VD and Gore.
TheDiplomats
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby LoveBoatCaptain » Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:49 am

beanoX3 wrote:
deluxe_247 wrote:
biju wrote:I think this is a fantastic move for San Francisco long term. Short term, I wonder if they have the proper personel to run a Martz style offense. Of course, they could go a long way to helping if they can acquire someone like Berrian in the offseason.

i agree...i think martz might have his hands full with his lack of solid WR depth. djax certainly didnt pan out as expected and i dont consider battle a super-threat. then again...dilfer was throwing them the rock for a chunk of the year. :-b i really hope they start utilizing davis more...the dudes a beast.

i do think this is a step in the right direction for the 9ers ;-D

There's a chance Martz and Isaac Bruce might be reunited. Bruce is due a $2 mil bonus or something and getting closer to 40 than 30. Rams might not want to pay that.

I can't imagine the Rams would cut Bruce or the 49ers being interested. I'd imagine they'll give DJax and Battle another chance next year with Martz's system. Random trivia question: Who was the last 49ers OC to coach there for more than a year? Greg Knapp (2000-2003) (Jim Hostler ('07) Norv Turner ('06), Mike McCarthy ('05), Ted Tollner ('04))
LoveBoatCaptain
Head Coach
Head Coach

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Lordrevolution » Sat Jan 19, 2008 8:38 pm

As someone who has Battle as a backup WR in a PPR auction dynasty league at the minimum price... I'm very happy about the prospect of Battle leading the league in receptions ala Furrey. Go Martz!
Lordrevolution
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Previous

Return to Football Talk