As I watched the Packer game... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Detroit Lions

As I watched the Packer game...

Moderator: Football Moderators

As I watched the Packer game...

Postby moochman » Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:48 am

I realize just how terrible the Lions are. Not that I didn't think so already, but watching good teams in the playoffs show the total lack of talent on our team. The only player I saw yesterday that was of Lions' caliber was TE and ex-Lions Marcus Pollard, who dropped everything thrown his way.
The Pack have a RB the Giants dumped and he looks better than anything the Lions have. The WRs, Burlesons, Engram, Hackett, Jennings, and even James Jones all looked better than any WR we have. The ran routes, caught passes, and even blocked downfield.
Not a first round pick in the bunch.
The blocking schemes, not the lines but the schemes themselves were cohesive. The run play designs had deception without taking time to develop. And the players executed the plays.
The Dlines on both sides tried hard right from the start, not just on occasional plays. They make other teams block honestly every down. The LBers made plays, and I don't mean Sims tackling people 5 yards downfield.
The secondary not only hit people and made tackles, but they covered people too.

The Lions are light years behind the Pack and losing ground folks. I was embarrassed to be a Lions fan just for watching skilled football. I don't know that there are any players on our sad sack team that would start in GB.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: As I watched the Packer game...

Postby dream_017 » Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:02 am

moochman wrote:I realize just how terrible the Lions are. Not that I didn't think so already, but watching good teams in the playoffs show the total lack of talent on our team. The only player I saw yesterday that was of Lions' caliber was TE and ex-Lions Marcus Pollard, who dropped everything thrown his way.
The Pack have a RB the Giants dumped and he looks better than anything the Lions have. The WRs, Burlesons, Engram, Hackett, Jennings, and even James Jones all looked better than any WR we have. The ran routes, caught passes, and even blocked downfield.
Not a first round pick in the bunch.
The blocking schemes, not the lines but the schemes themselves were cohesive. The run play designs had deception without taking time to develop. And the players executed the plays.
The Dlines on both sides tried hard right from the start, not just on occasional plays. They make other teams block honestly every down. The LBers made plays, and I don't mean Sims tackling people 5 yards downfield.
The secondary not only hit people and made tackles, but they covered people too.

The Lions are light years behind the Pack and losing ground folks. I was embarrassed to be a Lions fan just for watching skilled football. I don't know that there are any players on our sad sack team that would start in GB.

I was thinking the same exact thing Mooch 8-o Mine quickly turned to more of a why can't we put things together enough to make a run like SD and NYG. I was sitting there watching the games thinking, wouldn't it be cool if my team was actually playing. It is lightyears now since the 1991-92 season, and I am starting to forget how much fun that was what a great feeling I had being at the Cowboy game (you know the one the only playoff win for the Lions in the last 50...51 years). Sitting there thinking about how much fun brought me back to your points Mooch about how far away we actually are from even sniffing that type of success. Going through all the teams that have made a Conference final since 1991-92 is amazing....especially seeing where some of those teams were around the 1991-92 season. Here are just a few, we all know how the story of some of the team being bad then good then bad during the Lions reign:
San Diego 2 times (in 1991 they were 4-12)
Carolina 3 times (they didn't even exist in 1991)
Jacksonville 2 times (they didn't even exist in 1991)
Atlanta 2 times (in 1990 they were 5-11)
Minnesota 2 times
St Louis 2 times (they wer 5-11 in 1990)
Tampa 2 times
Tennessee 2 times

Then you have the stories of the teams being a doormat for a while and now(or were recently) are the talk of the league:
Indianapolis 4 conference finals, while being 1-15 once and 3-13 twice since 1990
New England 6 conf. finals, while having 6 out of 7 ten loss seasons between 1989 and 1995
Philadelphia 4 conf finals, while going through the Peete/Hoying/Detmer/Pederson/Brister era in the mid to late 90's

Looking up that info just made me even more upset :~(

I didn't look up the exact number, I'm too depresses now, but it looks like approx 1/2 the teams in the NFL have made multiple Conference finals since 1991 and the Lions have made none :-t
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 59)

Postby moochman » Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:38 pm

dream_017 wrote: Mine quickly turned to more of a why can't we put things together enough to make a run like SD and NYG.

The saddest thing, Dream, is that this was the year we put things together. 7 wins and a 1-7 finish was the best we could muster with the talent we have.

My gosh, look at SD and NYG. The Bolts win without their starting RB and QB for over half the game. Merriman, who we passed on for Mike Williams if I remember correctly, was a beast. The Giants won with two rookies that made big impacts in there game: RB Bradshaw and CB whatshisnutz. Which of out rookies had an impact? Cripes, Alexander was notable only in that he didn't embarrass himself and Cal was a huge disappointment. Other than that there were no contributions from the rookie class of 07!!! How is this possible that Millen keeps his job? His drafts have all proven to be failures, with the best being the one in which he chose Backus, Raiola and Big Fatty. No other draft did he produce more than two starters.

I'm sorry, I am literally so angry at thinking of it that I cannot type any further. Even my Lions' lullabye doesn't seem to be working, though I continue to softly sing to the beat of my head pounding on the wall:

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Re:

Postby dream_017 » Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:09 pm

moochman wrote:
dream_017 wrote: Mine quickly turned to more of a why can't we put things together enough to make a run like SD and NYG.

The saddest thing, Dream, is that this was the year we put things together. 7 wins and a 1-7 finish was the best we could muster with the talent we have.

My gosh, look at SD and NYG. The Bolts win without their starting RB and QB for over half the game. Merriman, who we passed on for Mike Williams if I remember correctly, was a beast. The Giants won with two rookies that made big impacts in there game: RB Bradshaw and CB whatshisnutz. Which of out rookies had an impact? Cripes, Alexander was notable only in that he didn't embarrass himself and Cal was a huge disappointment. Other than that there were no contributions from the rookie class of 07!!! How is this possible that Millen keeps his job? His drafts have all proven to be failures, with the best being the one in which he chose Backus, Raiola and Big Fatty. No other draft did he produce more than two starters.

I'm sorry, I am literally so angry at thinking of it that I cannot type any further. Even my Lions' lullabye doesn't seem to be working, though I continue to softly sing to the beat of my head pounding on the wall:

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Exactly. The more and more I see this happening to teams, the more it pisses me off.

OK, because I'm so worked up I had to find something to at least cheer me up a little about this team. It is coming up on 10 years that I will have season tickets :-{ ...no that is not the part that is cheering me up, but what is, I've seen in person at least 1 team that made it to the final four (played in the conference finals AFC or NFC) in 8 of the 9 seasons, during that season. My first year and this year I saw 2 ;-D I have seen the eventual Super Bowl winner twice (Stl and TB). In 6 of the 9 seasons I will have seen at least 1 of the teams that played in the Super Bowl that year. So, it not exactly about the team, but rather giving me justification for going to see this team on fall Sundays.
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 59)

Re: As I watched the Packer game...

Postby moochman » Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:02 pm

Here is the only thing that you could get excited about: William Clay Ford is another year older.
As I look at this team I can't help but think that next year could be brutal. We have a tougher schedule and if we start 2-4 or 1-5 the team will quit on Marinelli and we will be on our way to another 10+ loss season. However, maybe...just maybe, that will be enough to get Millen fired.
I am so depressed by the shape this team is taking that I am dreaded the Lions super bowl where I usually rejoice in playing of the timeless classic "We should've drafted..." game.

moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Return to Detroit Lions