Fanball's Top 10 TEs for 2008 - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Fanball's Top 10 TEs for 2008

Moderator: Football Moderators

Fanball's Top 10 TEs for 2008

Postby The Lung » Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:00 pm

From: http://www.fanballnews.com/article.php?article_id=11147

Sound Off - Top 10 TEs
Fanball Staff

Will Jason Witten unseat Antonio Gates as fantasy football's top tight end heading into next season?

We have yet to factor in the changes that will undoubtedly be brought about by free agency, offseason trades, and April's draft. That said, it's always kind of fun to look ahead to next year—especially for those of you who didn't advance deep into your fantasy football playoffs. With that in mind, our staff of fantasy-football analysts was asked to sound off with their "early" Top-10 rankings at each position for next year. We began with quarterbacks, running backs, and wide receivers the last couple weeks. Now it's time to rank the tight ends.

John Tuvey's rankings
1. Jason Witten, Cowboys
2. Kellen Winslow, Browns
3. Antonio Gates, Chargers
4. Dallas Clark, Colts
5. Vernon Davis, 49ers
6. Tony Gonzalez, Chiefs
7. Jeremy Shockey, Giants
8. Chris Cooley, Redskins
9. Tony Scheffler, Broncos
10. Ben Watson, Patriots

I really wanted to include guys like Leonard Pope, Zack Miller, and Greg Olsen on this list, but there just wasn't room. Pro Bowler Donald Lee falls short as well, as does Heath Miller. And no longer can you just throw Antonio Gates and Tony Gonzalez at the top of the list and forget about it. The tight end position could be as deep as it has ever been, and I'm guessing that every list will be different enough from every other list that you could conceivably wait until the end of your draft or auction and still get a guy you think is a top-five tight end. Spots one through four shouldn't vary too widely from list to list, but after that you could make a case for just about every player from five through 12 to be ranked within the top five. I haven't yet decided if this is good in that you can wait on the position and still get a good one, or bad in that you'll want to go after the one you like a little earlier than you're used to. Hey, I've got nothing but time until August to do just that, right?

Ted Carlson's rankings

1. Antonio Gates, Chargers
3. Jason Witten, Cowboys
4. Tony Gonzalez, Chiefs
5. Chris Cooley, Redskins
6. Dallas Clark, Colts
7. Jeremy Shockey, Giants
8. Tony Scheffler, Broncos
9. Owen Daniels, Texans
10. Vernon Davis, 49ers

I'm sticking with Gates at the top dog, but the gap between the Charger and the next three guys is much, much narrower than it was a year ago. Winslow vs. Witten makes for an interesting debate, and I would flip-flop them if the Browns trade away Derek Anderson. I know that Dallas Clark scored 11 times, but the dude has never played 16 games and I'll take my chances with Cooley over him in 2008. Scheffler, Daniels and Davis will all enter their third seasons next year, and I like the potential of all three guys. If Atlanta cleans up their coaching staff and quarterback situation, though, Alge Crumpler will likely jump back into my top-10. Heath Miller, Ben Watson, and Greg Olsen were also considered.

Jason Powell's rankings
3. Jason Witten, Cowboys
4. Tony Gonzalez, Chiefs
5. Dallas Clark, Colts
6. Chris Cooley, Redskins
7. Ben Watson, Patriots
8. Jeremy Shockey, Giants
9. Donald Lee, Packers
10. Heath Miller, Steelers

Gates remains a no-brainer pick despite his disappointing (by his lofty standards) season. Winslow might even give Gates a run for the top spot if he can stay healthy and the Browns continue to get good play at the quarterback position. Witten will drop in my rankings if the Cowboys lose offensive coordinator Jason Garrett, who was responsible for getting him more involved in the offense following a disappointing 2006 campaign. Gonzo continues to amaze me in the sense that he's productive despite the fact that he's getting up there in years and hasn't had a good quarterback to work with since before Trent Green got his bell rung. I'm leery of Clark because there's a chance that wide receiver Anthony Gonzalez could slide into the slot, assuming Marvin Harrison is healthy, and steal some of his looks. Cooley should be even better if the Redskins get consistent play out of their starting quarterback is next year. Watson scored six times despite missing four games. He's great in the red zone, but not much of a yardage factor. Shockey is unreliable in the touchdown category and there's always something wrong with him. Lee stepped up in a big way this season and we all know how much Brett Favre loves to throw to his tight ends in the red zone. Honorable mention goes to Greg Olsen and Alge Crumpler. They could both crack the top 10 if their teams upgrade at quarterback.

Christian Peterson's rankings
2. Jason Witten, Cowboys
3. Kellen Winslow, Browns
4. Dallas Clark, Colts
6. Tony Scheffler, Broncos
7. Tony Gonzalez, Chiefs
8. Heath Miller, Steelers
9. Jeremy Shockey, Giants
10. Donald Lee, Packers

Gates was extremely disappointing during the fantasy playoffs, but I'll give him a mulligan because he was banged up and, well, he's been fantasy football's top tight end four years in a row, so there's a lot to be said for consistency. Winslow has the potential to be special, but the constant bumps and bruises are a bit concerning, as is the quarterback situation in Cleveland if they let Derek Anderson walk (not to mention Anderson was highly mediocre throughout the second half). Unless Marvin Harrison retires, there's simply no way Clark scores double-digit touchdowns again next year. Cooley is as steady as they come, and I love the upside of Scheffler, whose numbers would be a lot better had he not missed most of the first five games of the season. I've never been a big Shockey fan, but there's a good chance he bounces back to the six/seven-ish touchdown range in 2008.

Anthony Maggio's rankings

1. Jason Witten, Cowboys
2. Antonio Gates, Chargers
3. Kellen Winslow, Browns
4. Tony Gonzalez, Chiefs
6. Jeremy Shockey, Giants
7. Dallas Clark, Cowboys
8. Owen Daniels, Texans
9. Donald Lee, Packers
10. Vernon Davis, 49ers

I'm not really complaining about Gates' 75 catches for 984 yards and nine touchdowns this season, but Witten is simply in too good of a situation for me to rank Gates ahead of him. Witten caught 96 passes for 1145 yards and seven scores and that was in his first full season of games with his buddy Tony Romo at quarterback. That's too much upside for me to pass on. Winslow is clearly the best of the rest despite Gonzo's stat line this season, and I think Cooley is still getting better as well. Shockey was a disappointment this year, but Eli Manning seems to be coming around the last couple of weeks, so hopefully that will mean more digits for his talented tight end. Clark did have 11 touchdowns this season, but still picked up just 616 yards despite Marvin Harrison's absence most of the season, so I can't really trust him. The other three are pretty much a pick 'em for me, and I had a tough time leaving out Tony Scheffler, who would fall in at No. 11 next year. Other honorable mentions include Greg Olsen and Ben Watson.
(~);}

(~);}
The Lung

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 61)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Fanball's Top 10 TEs for 2008

Postby steelerfan513 » Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:12 pm

I'll be a homer and say that I'm surprised that Heath Miller isn't on more lists, especially with Roethlisberger becoming one of the league's elite quarterbacks and the Steelers incorporating the tight end into their offense more than ever, especially in the red zone. Still, that definitely shows the depth there is at tight end in the NFL nowadays, so I'm guessing that there will be a lot of people who wait to take a tight end if they don't get Witten or Gates.
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby deerayfan072 » Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:01 pm

Watch out for Davis in Martz's pass happy offense. Martz normally doesn't use a TE much, but Davis is more of a WR anyway.
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Loose Circuits » Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:45 pm

steelerfan513 wrote:I'll be a homer and say that I'm surprised that Heath Miller isn't on more lists, especially with Roethlisberger becoming one of the league's elite quarterbacks and the Steelers incorporating the tight end into their offense more than ever, especially in the red zone. Still, that definitely shows the depth there is at tight end in the NFL nowadays, so I'm guessing that there will be a lot of people who wait to take a tight end if they don't get Witten or Gates.

I was surprised by the low value of Miller as well. I have him around 6 and I'm not a Steeler homer.
Loose Circuits
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby LoveBoatCaptain » Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:04 am

While I'm looking forward to seeing what Vernon Davis will do next season in Martz's offense, I'm definitely not going to be the one drafting him come next year's draft. Anyone else think expectations are going to be unrealistically high for Vernon Davis next season?
LoveBoatCaptain
Head Coach
Head Coach

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby moonhead » Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:14 am

LoveBoatCaptain wrote:While I'm looking forward to seeing what Vernon Davis will do next season in Martz's offense, I'm definitely not going to be the one drafting him come next year's draft. Anyone else think expectations are going to be unrealistically high for Vernon Davis next season?

after this season? i doubt it.
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Postby JasonSeahorn » Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:33 am

moonhead wrote:
LoveBoatCaptain wrote:While I'm looking forward to seeing what Vernon Davis will do next season in Martz's offense, I'm definitely not going to be the one drafting him come next year's draft. Anyone else think expectations are going to be unrealistically high for Vernon Davis next season?

i thought this was the year vernon breaks out, he was not great during the year but scored a few touchdowns late...based on his total stats a lot of people may avoid him, vernon should be a nice value pick...it's not like he's going to post worse numbers next year (barring injury)

Thanks to deluxe_247 for sig, he is welcome to sail with the Captain too!

I will win all of the fantasy cafe games.....next year
JasonSeahorn
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby deerayfan072 » Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:18 am

moonhead wrote:

Exactly

In our extremely early Mock (.5 PPR) he went in the 8th round after Gates, Winslow, Witten, Shockey, Cooley, TGonz, and Clark

I would take him over Shocke and Cooley personally
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby LS2throwed » Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:22 am

Vernon Davis is ranked too high on most of those list...I expected to see Leanord Pope's name tossed around, but I guess he fits into the "sleeper" category...Good to see Scheffler get some love to, he is going to have a huge year

I think the consensus top 3 are Winslow, Witten, and Gates and they could be ordered as such in any manner
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer