Dungy - return to Indy or retire to TB??? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Dungy - return to Indy or retire to TB???

Moderator: Football Moderators

Dungy - return to Indy or retire to TB???

Postby stomperrob » Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:26 pm

Says he'll announce his decision by this weekend, but his 3 kids have already enrolled in Tampa Bay schools. Maybe he'll take a year off and TB will offer profuse apologies and lure him outta retirement next year?? Stay tuned!

3:21 PM January 14, 2008
Dungy: 'We'll see' about return to Colts next season
By Mike Chappell
mike.chappell@indystar.com

The desire to return as the Indianapolis Colts head coach is strong, but that doesn't mean Tony Dungy will guide the team into the future.

"I'm hoping to be back, but we'll see what happens,'' he said during a press conference today at the team's West 56th Street complex.

A decision is expected by the weekend after Dungy consults with his wife, Lauren, and their family.

"My wife and I will sit down and evaluate this week and talk about it, talk it through,'' he said. "We'll probably do a lot of praying about what we want to do.

"We'll probably come to some decision this weekend and be ready to move forward on Monday one way or the other.''

It comes down to whether Dungy believes he can juggle a seventh season as Colts coach with being a father. His family has returned to its home in Tampa, Fla., where his three school-age kids have enrolled in school.

"I've got to make sure I've got the energy ... to devote to both of those jobs,'' Dungy said. "I don't want to short-change either one.''

Dungy, 52, insisted he isn't burned out after his 12th season as an NFL head coach ended with Sunday's 28-24 AFC divisional playoff loss to the San Diego Chargers.

"I love coming to work,'' he said.
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 168)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Dungy - return to Indy or retire to TB???

Postby scottaa1 » Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:25 pm

He's done. It took much urging to get him to come back for the 2007 season. He will go back to Florida, where the local Indy paper today reported he is interested in going into prison ministry. Who knows about that, but we'll have a new HC in Indy next year is my suspicion.
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)

Postby BigBadBrawler » Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:03 pm

Yeah, I think he's done as well. He's a great coach, and he got talked into coming back one more year to try to repeat, but I think he's gonna hange 'em up. His family needs him also, he's gone through a lot in the last few seasons...
BigBadBrawler
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: The largest Media Market in the country without an NFL Franchise

Postby LoveBoatCaptain » Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:29 pm

I agree, and I think it's the overwhelming consensus across the league that Dungy is done. It wouldn't surprise me if he stayed on as an advisor of some sort as long as the Colts won't ask him to stay in Indy.
LoveBoatCaptain
Head Coach
Head Coach

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby deerayfan072 » Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:59 pm

He is a great guy and I would love him back in TB, but he wants out of coaching, not just to leave the Colts. I think he will be a minister like he has always wanted and spend time with his kids. One of the best human beings out there
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby stomperrob » Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:07 pm

scottaa1 wrote:He's done. It took much urging to get him to come back for the 2007 season. He will go back to Florida, where the local Indy paper today reported he is interested in going into prison ministry. Who knows about that, but we'll have a new HC in Indy next year is my suspicion.

Prison ministry? Why doesn't he just go coach the Bengals, then he could do both! ;-) :-b
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby moochman » Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:41 pm

stomperrob wrote:
scottaa1 wrote:He's done. It took much urging to get him to come back for the 2007 season. He will go back to Florida, where the local Indy paper today reported he is interested in going into prison ministry. Who knows about that, but we'll have a new HC in Indy next year is my suspicion.

Prison ministry? Why doesn't he just go coach the Bengals, then he could do both! ;-) :-b

It's almost too easy sometimes, eh Stomp? :-b

This is going to sound harsh, but I hope he retires and spends time getting to know the kids he has left. Enough of the talk of being a great family man, walk it. It's never too late to start.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby stomperrob » Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:18 pm

moochman wrote:
stomperrob wrote:

It's almost too easy sometimes, eh Stomp? :-b

This is going to sound harsh, but I hope he retires and spends time getting to know the kids he has left. Enough of the talk of being a great family man, walk it. It's never too late to start.

Yeh, just couldn't let that one slide by, lol!
stomperrob

Postby scottaa1 » Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:10 am

From the Indianapolis Star

If Tony Dungy is out as coach of the Indianapolis Colts, Jim Caldwell is in, according to the team's owner.

Jim Irsay, appearing Thursday night at a function at the New York Public Library, said he remains hopeful Dungy will return for a seventh season with 100 percent commitment.
If not, he added, "Jim Caldwell would be the guy.''
Dungy informed The Star in an e-mail Thursday that nothing had been decided yet "and won't be until the weekend. I will let Jim know on Monday.''
Calls late Thursday to Irsay, who was at a party celebrating an exhibition of the "On The Road" manuscript he owns, were not returned.
Dungy, the winningest coach in franchise history, has contemplated retirement the past few seasons. That's the case again in the aftermath of Sunday's 28-24 AFC divisional playoff loss to San Diego.
In a season-ending news conference with Indianapolis media, Dungy said he will discuss with his wife, Lauren, and his family in their Tampa, Fla., home whether he can adequately juggle coaching duties with his role of father.
That Caldwell would be Dungy's successor is no surprise. Dungy long has endorsed his assistant head coach as possessing NFL head coaching qualities.
"I just think Jim's got a lot of the things people should be looking for,'' Dungy said recently.
Caldwell, 53, was the Wake Forest coach from 1993-2000 before joining Dungy's staff at Tampa Bay in 2001. When Dungy was fired by the Bucs after the '01 season and named the Colts' coach, he brought Caldwell with him as his quarterbacks coach. In 2005, Caldwell also was named assistant head coach.
Caldwell has interviewed this month for the coaching vacancies in Baltimore and Atlanta.
Irsay could name Caldwell, an African-American, as Dungy's replacement without interviewing another candidate and not be in violation of the NFL's Rooney Rule. That rule requires a team to include a minority prospect in the hiring process. Simply hiring a minority coach fulfills the requirement.
Irsay, who talked with Dungy last week regarding the coach's plans, would like Dungy to lead the Colts into Lucas Oil Stadium, which will open for the 2008 NFL season.
To enable Dungy to spend more time with his family in Tampa while still handling his coaching duties in Indianapolis, Irsay has offered some compromises to his coach. That might include allowing Dungy to spend a portion of the offseason in Tampa while his staff oversees the team's conditioning program. Irsay also would make his private jet available to Dungy to return to Tampa for various family events, such as his son Eric's high school football games.
A transition to Caldwell undoubtedly would result in few organizational changes for a team that in 2007 became the first in NFL history to win at least 12 games in five consecutive seasons. The vast majority of front-line players are under contract.
In a recent interview with The Star, Dungy conceded his desire was to "leave one year too early than one year too late.
"You hope you leave right on time. You also hope when you're in a situation like this that you leave with everything in good shape for the next guy having a chance to win and succeed.''
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)

Postby JasonSeahorn » Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:10 am

dungy has accomplished a lot as a coach and has won a superbowl, he really should step down so he can be with his family....NFL coaches spend inordinate amounts of time away from their families, and after what happened with his son dungy should be closer to his family.

Thanks to deluxe_247 for sig, he is welcome to sail with the Captain too!

I will win all of the fantasy cafe games.....next year
JasonSeahorn
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Football Talk