Turner the Burner... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Turner the Burner...

Moderator: Football Moderators

Turner the Burner...

Postby Kilroy » Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:11 am

Had better eat his Wheaties, because if Tomlinson can't go Sunday this one game could make a lotta difference contract-wise going into next year.

Bad Game....Hurts a bit, but there will still be suitors.

Great Game....Makes him quite possibly THE Free Agent to have.

So, for discussions sake, what say you Cafe? How does Turner do (if LT2 is out or severely limited), and what effect does that have on his '08 stock (both in NFL and fantasy)?

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Turner the Burner...

Postby BigBadBrawler » Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:27 am

I think you have the situation pretty much summed up: if Turner starts for LT and plays well against a good NE D on this big of a stage, he becomes the most coveted free agent on the market. If he doesn't, he'll still have multiple teams vying for his services, but I think the intensity of the suitors will be more reserved. I also think his performance has the chance to tip the scales of a team/owner that's on the fence about whether they are willing to pursue him, or willing to settle for RB help from the draft. He played reasonably well against a good IND D on the road last week, so I think he'll do just fine. I don't think he'll do anything phenomenal to up his status too much (although busting one long run could change all that), but I also don't think he'll lay and egg and hurt his value too much either. Plus, SD just might not get the chance to run the ball too often, since they'll likely be starting a back-up QB and RB, and will probably be down by double-digits midway through the second quarter anyways... Just my $.02
BigBadBrawler
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: The largest Media Market in the country without an NFL Franchise

Postby deerayfan072 » Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:23 am

BigBadBrawler wrote:I think you have the situation pretty much summed up: if Turner starts for LT and plays well against a good NE D on this big of a stage, he becomes the most coveted free agent on the market. If he doesn't, he'll still have multiple teams vying for his services, but I think the intensity of the suitors will be more reserved. I also think his performance has the chance to tip the scales of a team/owner that's on the fence about whether they are willing to pursue him, or willing to settle for RB help from the draft. He played reasonably well against a good IND D on the road last week, so I think he'll do just fine. I don't think he'll do anything phenomenal to up his status too much (although busting one long run could change all that), but I also don't think he'll lay and egg and hurt his value too much either. Plus, SD just might not get the chance to run the ball too often, since they'll likely be starting a back-up QB and RB, and will probably be down by double-digits midway through the second quarter anyways... Just my $.02

I don't think the NE defense is as good as people/stats say they are. I think they can be run on and passed on. Its the offense that has them going.

No matter what I don't think it effects what happens with Turner next year because most people think that NE has a dominating defense and anything he does will be good. Also, he has shown in the past that he can be a viable back, the question is just can he be THE back, which no one will know until they take him and have him run a full season. I will tell you this though, his first season as the number 1 back will not be great because he will have to adjust. I remember talking with Earnest Graham about the difference in being the number 1 guy and the third down/ST guy and he said he got very tired towards the end of the season and needed a break. Whoever takes him, I hope they have a chance of pace back to compliment him and take some carries away to keep him fresh.
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby JasonSeahorn » Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:29 am

the patriots defense is good because they usually don't give up too many points. they play a lot of shell defense, preventing the big play but allowing stuff to happen underneath, so turner should be able to rack up yards if he doesn't score.

this is a great opportunity for turner to showcase himself. if the bengals somehow part ways with rudi johnson and aquire turner, their offense will be extremely potent.

Thanks to deluxe_247 for sig, he is welcome to sail with the Captain too!

I will win all of the fantasy cafe games.....next year
JasonSeahorn
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby moochman » Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:44 pm

Is it just me or does Turner seem to get dinged up everytime he is asked to play much? I wonder if Turner the Burner isn't a Churner. I have some reservations that his time may have past him by.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

Postby stomperrob » Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:30 pm

Kane County Chronicle
Tuesday, January 15, 2008
Bears should take run at San Diego's Turner
by Kevin Kaduk

The Chargers’ season isn’t over, the NFL free agency period won’t begin until March 3 and Cedric Benson still has two years left on his contract.

No wonder Jerry Angelo and the Bears haven’t publicly been specific on their plans for the running back position in 2008. It’s still too early and no team is allowed to flip its cards before the previous hand is finished.

Still, it’d be incredibly disappointing to learn that Michael Turner’s name isn’t privately listed atop a blackboard somewhere in Halas Hall. It’d be even more disheartening to learn that Turner’s name isn’t buzzing around the front of Angelo’s brain or that Lovie Smith watched San Diego’s win against Indianapolis on Sunday without having his heart skip at least one beat.

When it comes to important off-season moves, one stands out above the rest: The Bears must make it their top priority to sign Turner, the backup running back from Northern Illinois who just helped lead the Chargers into the AFC Championship Game. While signing a new quarterback is a sexier option for some fans, the reality is that Smith’s crew will never return to its previous playoff shape if it doesn’t resume the practice of “getting off the bus running.”

You might remember that Smith rammed that philosophy down our throats on several occasions last season. The only problem was that his rushing unit rarely rammed the ball past any opponents. Benson was a bust, and then he got hurt. If you had a dime for all the times Benson failed to get through a sizable hole for a big gain last season, you’d have enough to buy the flighty Texas product out of his contract.

Meanwhile, his replacement, “the other” Adrian Peterson, did an adequate job but not enough to shed his career backup label. Third-round pick Garrett Wolfe rarely saw the field and isn’t big enough to be an every-down running back in the NFL, anyway.

That’s why the Bears need to sign Turner, even if it means admitting they wasted the No. 4 pick in the 2005 NFL Draft on Benson. Angelo and Smith aren’t known for owning up to their mistakes, so such an action would be a big move.

But it sure would be well worth it. If you watched the Chargers’ 28-24 victory at the RCA Dome, you’re probably already a part of this choir. Turner entered the game after LaDainian Tomlinson bruised his knee in the first half and then didn’t miss a beat. He rushed a season-high 17 times for 71 yards and also provided good pass protection for backup quarterback Billy Volek on the game-winning drive.

More importantly, he showed the combination of power and speed that made him a record-setter in DeKalb and that the Bears’ offense sorely needs.

There isn’t a downside to this. Though Turner could have allowed his talents to devolve while sitting behind LT, he instead worked to save his team’s playoff run before becoming one of this off-season’s top free agents. Since he carried the ball only 71 times for 316 yards in ’07, the Bears will be signing a guy without a history of wear and tear.

Also, if you saw tiny Darren Sproles spring a 56-yard screen pass for a touchdown, it’s not hard to picture Turner forming a similar 1-2 punch with Wolfe, a former Huskie teammate.

Admittedly, the Bears need to improve their offensive line, but they can do so with a quieter free-agent signing or through the draft. The only obstacle would be making sure another rush-hungry team, such as Atlanta or Cleveland, doesn’t throw more money at Turner’s feet.

And while that might be a distinct possibility given the Bears’ sometimes stingy ways, they can’t afford to let it happen. Turner is a hometown kid with hometown ties. They can’t bungle this like they did the Antwaan Randle El signing a few years back.

When I talked with Turner before the 2006 Poinsettia Bowl, he said his brothers and friends were always begging him to come back to Chicago and play for the Bears at Soldier Field. One can only imagine how much they’re pleading now.

So when the time is right, it should go without saying. The Bears need to reveal the right hand, one that includes Turner as its trump card.

• Kevin Kaduk is the Chronicle’s sports columnist. Write to him at kkaduk@nwnewsgroup.com For more, read his blog, “Duk’s Calls,” at KCChronicle.com/kaduk.
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Postby JakeTrain72 » Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:30 pm

The article sums it up quite well. They need to inprove the Oline and at QB, but they can do that in other ways. They need a physical runner and since MB3 will be staying in Dallas, Turner is the next best fit.

Turner, Wolfe and Hester being on the field at the same time? I'm no Offensive Coordinator but I could find some mismatches with that kind of speed and talent.

The Bears can't draft RBs. They have tried and failed. Curtis Enis, Rashan Salaam, Benson...they had some success in signing a RB in Thomas Jones though. They have film on Turner and can see what he can do against NFL competition. Benson was great in a complementary role with Jones and he can be just that for two more years. Peterson is good and I like him but he isn't the answer either.

It's going to cost them some money, but they need to invest more $ in the RB position anyway because Benson isn't the answer. I'm willing to bet the extra money they spend on him will be offset by all the Turner jersey's that are sold in the Chicagoland area after his first pro bowl.
JakeTrain72
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Cafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby biju » Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:58 pm

I personally hope he has such a terrible game that NFL teams wish to have nothing to do with him...and then the Seahawks sign him. Oh, and restructure Shaun Alexander's contract so he's paid appropriately for the bench warmer in our new situation.
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby The Lung » Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:08 pm

As evidenced just by his 71 yards rushing and 4.1 yards per carry average in Sunday's playoff game, on a San Diego team missing Antonio Gates and Philip Rivers for some of the time, if you're not making a move towards acquiring Turner in your dynasty league, you're slacking!
(~);}

(~);}
The Lung

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 61)

Postby LS2throwed » Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:23 pm

he was highly sought after before last weeks game, since he played well it wasnt really a surprise but it only helped his stock, regardless of how he plays vs the pats he will be THE free agent for teams who need a rb...and its not out of the question he is let go anyway, it seems to be a fore gone conclusion but chargers could pay up to keep him, but they do have sproles also so its not needed
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer