Ravens close to signing Garrett??? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Ravens close to signing Garrett???

Moderator: Football Moderators

Ravens close to signing Garrett???

Postby stomperrob » Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:54 pm

«
Baltimore Sun
Ravens shouldn't rush decision
The gang's all here

In the first sign of activity in the last six days, Ravens owner Steve Bisciotti and president Dick Cass have arrived at the team's headquarters in Owings Mills.

Cass got in early, parking his car slightly after 8 a.m. Bisciotti pulled in about 9:15. Their arrival suggests that they are still --- and will continue -- negotiating with Dallas Cowboys offensive coordinator Jason Garrett. The Ravens may be pressed today to hammer out a deal with Garrett, who reportedly is scheduled to fly to Atlanta to interview with the Falcons for their head coaching vacancy.

Posted by Edward Lee on January 15, 2008 9:50 AM |

Garrett meeting with Ravens
Dallas offensive coordinator at team's headquarters for another interview session
By Jamison Hensley | Sun reporter
11:04 AM EST, January 15, 2008

Jason Garrett arrived at the Ravens' practice facility at 9:57 a.m. today, which is another sign that the Ravens could be leaning toward naming the Dallas offensive coordinator as their head coach.

Driven to Ravens headquarters, Garrett and his wife, Brill, walked into the players' entrance, where they were greeted by team president Dick Cass.

At around 11 a.m., Cass was seen giving Garrett's wife a tour of the team's headquarters and practice facility.

Garrett has long been considered the front-runner for the Ravens' job.

There have been reports that Garrett will also meet with the Atlanta Falcons this morning for a second interview with them. If the Ravens have not let him leave, that could be an indicator that they are trying to strike a deal with him.

Garrett arrived in Baltimore on Monday night and met with team officials.

Morning, folks.

Your regular DJ, Bill Ordine, had to attend a funeral today, so I'm attempting to fill his large -- but
impeccably polished -- blogging shoes. If it's any consolation to you, Bill usually bats me fourth on The Sun softball team, so I'm hoping that means I can handle the pressure.

So it looks as if Jason Garrett slipped into town late last night for his second interview with the Ravens, meaning he could, according to my colleague Jamison Hensley, become the Ravens head coach as early as today. If I close my eyes, I can almost picture Garrett and Ravens owner Steve Bisciotti drinking wine and overlooking the Inner Harbor from some luxury apartment balcony, kind of like Stringer Bell and Avon Barksdale did during Season 3 of The Wire on HBO. In Baltimore, as they say on

The Wire, God still resides in the details. And I suspect there are still a lot of details to be worked out. Bisciotti might even want some assurance that, if Garrett gets the job, he'll never agree to have his team participate in the HBO program, Hard Knocks, a mistake the Billick made the year after the Ravens won the Super Bowl and just the kind of distraction a private guy like Bisciotti might want to see less of in the post-Billick era.

What exactly do we know about Garrett? My colleague Mike Klingaman, in this artful profile,
called him "the Barack Obama of football," which might be fitting, considering the Ravens will need to have the audacity of hope next year if they want to recover from this year's boondoggle. Like Obama, Garrett is an Ivy League graduate, although he earned his undergrad at Princeton while Obama picked up his law degree from Harvard. I'm not sure whether this makes Marty Schottenheimer the John McCain of this analogy (wise, grizzled, has come up short on the big stage in the past), but here is what I do think:

If Garrett is the guy, it's a chance to breathe some excitement into the franchise. Schottenheimer, while competent, is about as exciting as a turnip. And at age 64, he has an expiration date. He's a placeholder. Two years, maybe three, and he'll be eying the Early Bird special somewhere (and who can blame him? Dinner at 4:30? Where do I sign up?). With Garrett, the Ravens have a chance to map out not just the next three years, but the next seven or eight. Pittsburgh already appears to have a coach locked in for the next decade (or more). Wouldn't it be fun to watch Garrett and Mike Tomlin play chess against one another twice a year into their early 50s?

Billick, for all his shortcomings, gave the Ravens an identity. For better or worse, he was our guy, even when he was blowing kisses at Rodney Harrison and going through quarterbacks like Liz Taylor went through husbands.

Someone like Schottenheimer will never be our guy. He's a rental. And with all due respect to Rex Ryan, the Ravens need a clean break.

The risk might be greater, but this team needs something with more growth potential.

Here is hoping we find out today if the red-headed wunderkind is that guy.

--Kevin Van Valkenburg
Baltimore Sun
Jan 15, 2008

Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Ravens close to signing Garrett???

Postby stomperrob » Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:13 pm

Posted: 52 minutes ago
Ravens expected to hire Cowboys assistant coach Garrett as head coach
NFL.com

The Baltimore Ravens are expected to hire Dallas Cowboys offensive coordinator Jason Garrett as head coach, reports NFL Network's Adam Schefter.

Garrett arrived at the Baltimore Ravens' training complex Tuesday morning for a second interview for the position.

The 41-year-old Garrett has been regarded as the front-runner for the job. He was the first candidate to receive a second interview with the team's search committee to fill the vacancy created two weeks ago when the Ravens fired Brian Billick.

Garrett and his wife, Brill, were greeted at team headquarters by president Dick Cass.

Garrett directed a high-scoring offense that skidded to a halt in the Cowboys' 21-17 NFC divisional playoff loss Sunday to the New York Giants. He's also reportedly being sought for a second interview with the Atlanta Falcons.

The Ravens were also interested in Philadelphia Eagles secondary coach John Harbaugh, who was a finalist for the UCLA job that went to former Ravens offensive coordinator Rick Neuheisel.

Garrett met with owner Steve Bisciotti, general manager Ozzie Newsome and Cass last Saturday for several hours and he has connections to members of the search committee. Garrett and Cass are Princeton graduates. And Garrett's father, Jim Garrett, coached vice president of football administration Pat Moriarty, when Moriarty was with the Cleveland Browns.

The Ravens have also interviewed Indianapolis Colts assistant head coach and quarterbacks coach Jim Caldwell; Cowboys assistant head coach Tony Sparano, who is also a candidate for the Miami Dolphins' opening; former Ravens defensive coordinator Rex Ryan, who's a strong candidate for the Falcons' job and is expected to get a second interview with Atlanta; New York Jets offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer and Harbaugh.

Garrett was a quarterbacks coach for two seasons with the Miami Dolphins before spending last season with the Cowboys.

stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby wbgrafix » Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:42 pm

If Garrett does leave, which I just can't see him doing, Jones is going to have a lot of work to do. Especially if Sparano leaves as well.
wbgrafix
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby LS2throwed » Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:18 pm

ESPN.com reports that while the Ravens have offered Jason Garrett their head coaching job, there is only a "60-40" chance he will accept.

ESPN.com cites a source that says Cowboys owner Jerry Jones has told Garrett he would match any offer that the Ravens make. Jones views Garrett as the potential next head coach of the Cowboys, but continues to say he will not fire Wade Phillips in order to keep Garrett in Dallas. Garrett is currently scheduled to meet with the Falcons later today. Jan. 15 - 2:05 pm et

wont really bother me 2 much if he leaves, he was a little too pass happy and abandons the run too early...also his playcalling at the end of the year was a little questionable

but i dont think he takes the job, still believe he wants to coach the cowboys and he wont have to wait long to do it either...but we would probably promote our wrs coach to make the transition easier on romo and everyone
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:20 pm

Any chance that Jones gets rid of Wade Phillips this year to offer Garrett the job?

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby LS2throwed » Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:13 pm

A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:Any chance that Jones gets rid of Wade Phillips this year to offer Garrett the job?

no, Jerry has said he's sticking with Wade another year...im not really impressed by Wade this year, I expected him to do more with our defense, our sack total increased but we looked horrible at times...like how easy the Giants went down and scored before halftime in the game in less then a minute...our pressure was supposed to stop things like that from happening, also his playoff record is a little worrisome

Either way its Wade for one more year, at most Garrett has to be OC for 2 more years before he is the head coach, but if he gets our HC job he likely has it for some time, all depends on what he wants to do though
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby stomperrob » Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:24 pm

Hmm - Garrett not inerested???

Garrett's rookie mistake
Not taking job shows that assistant has much to learn
Mike Preston
Baltimore Sun
January 16, 2008

If Jason Garrett becomes the Ravens' head coach, let's hope he won't show as much inexperience during the season as he showed yesterday.

Garrett spent most of the day interviewing with top Ravens officials about their vacant head coaching position and walked away from their offer, one of the most coveted jobs in professional sports.

The Ravens and Garrett are still negotiating, and Garrett said all the right things as he met briefly with the media. But he didn't answer a lot of questions. Maybe it was best he didn't because he had a lot on his mind.

Or maybe Garrett really doesn't want to become a head coach. If he was really passionate about becoming a head coach, Garrett would have taken the job.

But Garrett is just 41 and is in only his third season as an NFL assistant. He is just three years removed from being a player.

There was some panic in his eyes yesterday and apparently some concern about the Ravens' job. But if Garrett had done his homework, he would be the new Ravens coach.

Yesterday should have been a formality instead of more screening. Garrett should have known the Ravens have one of the best front offices in the NFL, and an owner in Steve Bisciotti who is passionate about winning.

The Ravens have problems, but they care enough about winning to try to cover them up. But he doesn't know general manager Ozzie Newsome or Bisciotti well, or how badly they want to win.

He certainly knows Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones well. Jones has been in a similar position with the Ravens before. In 1997, the Ravens had agreed in principle to a contract with Cowboys linebacker Broderick Thomas. While Thomas was sleeping at his hotel room in Baltimore, Jones called him, got him to agree to a new deal with the Cowboys, then sent out his private plane to bring the linebacker back to Dallas.

Jones loves Garrett, hand-picking him to become the Cowboys' offensive coordinator this season with hopes of him one day becoming Dallas' head coach.

I can imagine Jones calling Garrett several times yesterday, increasing his pay by perhaps $1 million to $2 million a year. I can see him doing everything imaginable to keep Garrett in Dallas.

Garrett was expected to be in Atlanta today to interview for the Falcons' head coaching job. He'll probably be given another contract offer.

This all has to make Garrett nervous. He has never been through anything like this. I'm sure he wants to play these teams against each other, but I'm not sure he has been around the league enough to pull it off.

No one really wants the Atlanta job. The Falcons' franchise quarterback is in prison. Their starting running back is old. Their former head coach left them before the regular season was completed.

Dallas is very attractive. The Cowboys are in their peak years. They have a good defense, a franchise-caliber quarterback, two good running backs and a go-to receiver.

But the one thing that the Cowboys can't give Garrett right now is a head coaching position.

The Ravens can, but they do have problems. They have older players on defense, no long-term solution at quarterback and a grumpy set of veterans with big egos. Their best player, linebacker Terrell Suggs, is unsigned.

The stiff-arm by Garrett put the Ravens in a bad position. They would like to lure Indianapolis assistant coach Jim Caldwell from the Colts, but he probably won't leave until Tony Dungy decides early next week whether he wants to retire as the team's head coach.

But don't count the Ravens out as far as Garrett. Bisciotti is rich, and the organization doesn't like to be told no. Bisciotti will remain in contact with Garrett, and he'll be in a bidding war with the Cowboys and the Falcons.

But after yesterday, the kid from Princeton didn't seem to have a real clue about what was going on.

I'll chalk it up to inexperience because a veteran coach would have completed the deal here. Either that, or maybe he is in coaching for the money. And the Ravens don't need that anymore.

Exit Garrett, enter Harbaugh?
If Cowboys coach shuns job here, Eagles assistant could receive offer
By Jamison Hensley | Sun Reporter
January 16, 2008

When Jason Garrett didn't accept the Ravens' head coaching offer and left team headquarters yesterday, the Dallas offensive coordinator likely opened the door for Philadelphia Eagles secondary coach John Harbaugh, a league source said.

While the Ravens are still making a run at Garrett and are continuing to negotiate with him, the team understands that landing its top candidate might have become more difficult because he is being pursued by the Dallas Cowboys and the Atlanta Falcons.

According to the source, the Ravens are ready to hire Harbaugh as head coach over the next couple of days if Garrett is unavailable.

Harbaugh, 45, was the only candidate interviewed by the Ravens who was neither a coordinator nor an assistant head coach. He became the Eagles' secondary coach after spending nine seasons as the special teams coach.

Considered the dark-horse candidate, Harbaugh impressed the Ravens' coaching search committee with his energetic coaching style and charismatic personality. A finalist for the UCLA job last month, Harbaugh is the brother of former Ravens quarterback Jim Harbaugh.

The Ravens aggressively tried to hire Garrett yesterday, meeting with him for seven hours at team headquarters. But Garrett left for a second interview with the Atlanta Falcons, who have already offered him their coaching job, according to the NFL Network.

The Cowboys are also in the hunt to keep Garrett as their offensive coordinator. According to a league source, Dallas owner Jerry Jones made a counteroffer to match the contracts of the Ravens or the Falcons.

"I'm going to continue through this process that I'm in right now," said Garrett, 41, on leaving the Ravens facility. "At some point, we'll make some decisions on both sides."

The Ravens will continue with their second round of interviews, but they aren't scheduled to meet with anyone today because general manager Ozzie Newsome will be in Houston watching college prospects practice for the East-West Shrine Game.

Newsome declined to comment on the coaching search, and Bisciotti was not available to comment.

"We had a good day of interviews," Ravens spokesman Kevin Byrne said. "It's the start of our second round. [Garrett] is the first one in for the second round. We have more interviews in the second round coming up later in the week. And that's what we have to say right now."

According to a league source, the Ravens have ruled out veteran coach Marty Schottenheimer, which means Harbaugh is the team's next option.

Harbaugh could travel to Baltimore as early as today.

Asked if Schottenheimer would coach this season, his agent, Trace Armstrong, said yesterday: "There is a possibility. As Marty has said and I have said, it's about fit. He still has a passion for coaching, and he's got top-notch assistants that expressed interest to be a part of any staff that he'll assemble. He's enjoying retirement, but if there's a place with the right fit, he definitely would be interested."

While Garrett spent the day with the Ravens, former Ravens defensive coordinator Rex Ryan interviewed for a second time yesterday morning in Atlanta. He returned to Baltimore unannounced and crossed paths with Garrett at Ravens headquarters.

If Garrett returns to being a coordinator in Dallas, Ryan likely would be hired by the Falcons. If Garrett is hired by the Falcons, it probably would eliminate Ryan's best shot at becoming a head coach this season.

Garrett arrived in Baltimore on Monday night and had dinner with the Bisciotti family and members of the organization. He came to Ravens headquarters yesterday at 9:57 a.m. and was greeted by team president Dick Cass.

While team officials met with Garrett, his wife, Brill, was given a tour of the facility by Cass and then was driven around to see the area. Before Garrett left, he met one last time with Cass, who is a Princeton graduate like Garrett.

But Garrett decided to leave without becoming the Ravens' head coach.

"It's been an exciting time for me to be here and be around this organization," Garrett said. "I heard nothing but great things about it prior to coming here, and everything I've seen since I've been here has really been off the charts. It was a great second visit with these guys, and I really enjoyed the process of doing that."

stomperrob

Postby LS2throwed » Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:50 pm

I dont get why everyone is acting like he has to take the first job thrown at him, otherwise he is screwing up...maybe it could be that he intends on coaching the cowboys like him and Jerry Jones discussed, maybe its because the Ravens and Falcons dont have a franchise qb, and Dallas has one where he is at, which is vital for running his offense, along with a premiere te...

They were just talking about how Ed Reed and Ray Lewis runs that lockerroom and they are pushing for Rex Ryan to get the job, does he really want to walk into that situation? First time things go bad he is going to have players doing things on their own, let alone if they dont get the right qb in he will probably look like a failure...He has plenty of talent in Dallas, and was offered that job in a few years, its not like he's 62 and has to jump at the first chance thrown at him
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby steelerfan513 » Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:08 pm

LS2throwed wrote:I dont get why everyone is acting like he has to take the first job thrown at him, otherwise he is screwing up...maybe it could be that he intends on coaching the cowboys like him and Jerry Jones discussed, maybe its because the Ravens and Falcons dont have a franchise qb, and Dallas has one where he is at, which is vital for running his offense, along with a premiere te...

They were just talking about how Ed Reed and Ray Lewis runs that lockerroom and they are pushing for Rex Ryan to get the job, does he really want to walk into that situation? First time things go bad he is going to have players doing things on their own, let alone if they dont get the right qb in he will probably look like a failure...He has plenty of talent in Dallas, and was offered that job in a few years, its not like he's 62 and has to jump at the first chance thrown at him

I agree, and for that matter, he doesn't necessarily have to take any head coaching job. What if he doesn't feel like he's ready? He's been a coach for three seasons, only one of which he spent at the coordinator level, and he's the coordinator of one of the most prolific offenses in the NFL. Maybe it's not time yet to give that up for a head coaching job that may or may not work out when he's all but guaranteed a head coaching job with the same players that made him one of the most sought-after candidates this off-season.

He can stay in Dallas, where he'll work with the likes of Tony Romo, Terrell Owens, Jason Witten, and Marion Barber, all extremely gifted football players, and then he'll be able to take over as the head coach whenever Jerry Jones decides he wants him to, and that'll give him one or two more years of experience which can only help him as a coach. Seriously, what's wrong with staying in Dallas?

Yeah, Baltimore has a great front office, and they do have some talent on offense, but they have many more questions than answers at quarterback, and who knows how the players, especially the defense, will react to him after having the same coach for the last nine years and the same defensive coordinator, who did a damn good job, for three years? If the Cowboys offer anything close to what the Ravens offer, I would expect Garrett to stay in Dallas.

Becoming a head coach isn't always a good thing for one's career. Belichick's head coaching career would've likely ended if he hadn't had success in New England because of his initial stint in Cleveland which was perceived as a massive failure.

Here's the latest from Rotoworld:

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/player ... 89&id=2255

The Baltimore Sun reports Jason Garrett will choose between becoming the Ravens' head coach or staying in Dallas. A decision could come Thursday.

The Falcons are out of contention. We suspect Cowboys owner Jerry Jones is willing to match whatever the Ravens offer financially. Garrett's waffling isn't sitting well in Baltimore, but he's still the best option the Ravens could have to turn around their perennially anemic offense. If Garrett balks at their offer, the Ravens will likely turn to Eagles DBs coach John Harbaugh. They are no longer considering Marty Schottenheimer or Rex Ryan.
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby LS2throwed » Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:40 pm

steelerfan513 wrote:
LS2throwed wrote:I dont get why everyone is acting like he has to take the first job thrown at him, otherwise he is screwing up...maybe it could be that he intends on coaching the cowboys like him and Jerry Jones discussed, maybe its because the Ravens and Falcons dont have a franchise qb, and Dallas has one where he is at, which is vital for running his offense, along with a premiere te...

I agree, and for that matter, he doesn't necessarily have to take any head coaching job. What if he doesn't feel like he's ready? He's been a coach for three seasons, only one of which he spent at the coordinator level, and he's the coordinator of one of the most prolific offenses in the NFL. Maybe it's not time yet to give that up for a head coaching job that may or may not work out when he's all but guaranteed a head coaching job with the same players that made him one of the most sought-after candidates this off-season.

He can stay in Dallas, where he'll work with the likes of Tony Romo, Terrell Owens, Jason Witten, and Marion Barber, all extremely gifted football players, and then he'll be able to take over as the head coach whenever Jerry Jones decides he wants him to, and that'll give him one or two more years of experience which can only help him as a coach. Seriously, what's wrong with staying in Dallas?

Yeah, Baltimore has a great front office, and they do have some talent on offense, but they have many more questions than answers at quarterback, and who knows how the players, especially the defense, will react to him after having the same coach for the last nine years and the same defensive coordinator, who did a damn good job, for three years? If the Cowboys offer anything close to what the Ravens offer, I would expect Garrett to stay in Dallas.

Becoming a head coach isn't always a good thing for one's career. Belichick's head coaching career would've likely ended if he hadn't had success in New England because of his initial stint in Cleveland which was perceived as a massive failure.

Here's the latest from Rotoworld:

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/player ... 89&id=2255

The Baltimore Sun reports Jason Garrett will choose between becoming the Ravens' head coach or staying in Dallas. A decision could come Thursday.

The Falcons are out of contention. We suspect Cowboys owner Jerry Jones is willing to match whatever the Ravens offer financially. Garrett's waffling isn't sitting well in Baltimore, but he's still the best option the Ravens could have to turn around their perennially anemic offense. If Garrett balks at their offer, the Ravens will likely turn to Eagles DBs coach John Harbaugh. They are no longer considering Marty Schottenheimer or Rex Ryan.

good points...he doesnt even have THAT much experience yet, he personally may not feel ready to be a HC but taking interviews is the right process to go though none the less...I just disagree completely with that writer when he made these points...

Not taking job shows that assistant has much to learn

But after yesterday, the kid from Princeton didn't seem to have a real clue about what was going on.

I'll chalk it up to inexperience because a veteran coach would have completed the deal here. Either that, or maybe he is in coaching for the money. And the Ravens don't need that anymore.
If Jason Garrett becomes the Ravens' head coach, let's hope he won't show as much inexperience during the season as he showed yesterday.

Garrett spent most of the day interviewing with top Ravens officials about their vacant head coaching position and walked away from their offer, one of the most coveted jobs in professional sports.

Ive never heard bias like that in my life...a veteran coach would of completed the deal here? what kind of assumption is that, he makes it seem like the Ravens job is the job of all jobs and people have been after this job for years...they dont have a franchise qb, or an offensive line for that matter...Just dont like to read articles that way, obviously the guy was sour because he expected Garrett to take the job and was upset that he didnt, but thats the point of an interview, to see if you even want the job...since when does going to an interview mean you HAVE to take that job otherwise your inexperienced or making a mistake...

It was obvious what point of view he was writing from when he called the Ravens HC job one of the most coveted jobs in professional sports, guess he's never heard of an exaggeration before, its not even the most coveted job in the NFL, let alone professional sports
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero