Draft 2008 - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to New York Jets

Draft 2008

Moderator: Football Moderators

Draft 2008

Postby disgruntledjetsfan » Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:54 am

I wanted to start this thread so we could discuss who we could possibly be taking in this years draft. We obviously have a lot of areas of need, but I think all Jets fans would agree that we are not in as bad shape as our record would indicate. We definitely had one of the hardest schedules in football this year and another (the last two years have been quite good) strong draft could put us back into contention next season.

We pick 6th in the first round, and I'm very interested to hear who you guys would like to take with that first pick. Anything else draft related is welcome, too.

Personally, I'd like to take Vernon Gholston with our first pick. We've been looking for a guy who can get to the passer at will, and I think he could play that Merriman type role for us and constantly pressure the QB. He is a man child (literally, look at the guy), and I don't think we could go wrong by taking him.
disgruntledjetsfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerSweet 16 Survivor
(Past Year: 8)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Draft 2008

Postby killiansjmd » Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:31 am

I would be very happy with Vernon Gholston at the number 6 pick. I'm not 100% sure but I think Ohio State played a 4-3 so hopefully he would be a good fit in our 3-4 D.

We really need to improve both our offensive and defensive lines this off season.
Thanks to Metroid for the sig!
killiansjmd
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Dawinner127 » Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:01 pm

I agree that I would love to grab Gholston with our 1st pick in the 2008 draft, but if McFadden is there, you MUST take him. Last year Peterson was the best talent coming out of the draft, and look what he's doing in Minnesota. Even though we did just sign Jones last season, if the best player in the draft is available. Draft him and don't look back.
I could also see us working out a trade with Dallas since they have 2 first rounders. Maybe dish our 6th for both of their first rounders?
I also think that the whole spectrum of colors change if we do end up moving Vilma for Chad Johnson (rumor going around up here in Bergen County).
A win next week and all is forgotten.
Dawinner127
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 70)

Postby killiansjmd » Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:48 am

1. Miami Dolphins - Chris Long, DE, Virginia
Don't look now, but Sedrick Ellis is storming up draft boards based on his great effort at the Senior Bowl. It's possible that Ellis, who many perceive as a better fit for the Dolphins likely new 3-4 system than LSU DT Glenn Dorsey, could end up going to Miami in this spot.
The perceived "most valued prospect" at this point, in the opinion of many observers, is Arkansas RB Darren McFadden. And while he might be tempting, injured RB Ronnie Brown (torn ACL) has two years remaining on his contract after this season, and the Dolphins just have too many needs to use their top pick on a running back for a split-time situation, barring a major setback in Brown's recovery process. It would be very surprising to see Parcells take McFadden here.

Chris Long is the real deal, a defensive end who learned the game from a young age from his father, Howie Long. He doesn't live off of his name or his reputation; he busts his butt on every play, constantly chasing down running backs or blitzing QBs. Long carried a mediocre at best Virginia team to the ACC Title game this year, and he would make an immediate impact in Miami as well.

2. St. Louis Rams - Glenn Dorsey, DT, LSU
What great fortune it would be for St. Louis to land a talent like Glenn Dorsey at the #2 spot. Dorsey, who won the 2007 Bronko Nagurski Trophy (beating out last year's winner, Ohio State LB James Laurinaitis) along with many other awards, is a phenomenal talent. Dorsey would be able to start immediately and have an instant impact in the middle. He is an elite player who has suffered through back and knee injuries and had the guts to remain on the field for LSU down the stretch. And while St. Louis drafted Adam Carriker in round one of last year's draft and saw him move from DE to DT, that should not stop them at all from landing a talent like Dorsey.

3. Oakland Raiders - Darren McFadden, RB, Arkansas °
Note: as per the NFL, the Raiders will end up with either the #3 or #4 overall pick in the draft.

The Raiders may be tempted by Jake Long in this spot, but the opportunity to land a unique player like Darren McFadden should be too much for Al Davis to pass up. JaMarcus Russell would have a much easier beginning with McFadden, who is solid in everything he does, from blocking to pass catching. McFadden never takes off a play.

McFadden is a rare talent who has incredible potential as a pro. The Raiders ended up with a 1,000 yard runner in Justin Fargas (4.5 yards per carry) in 2007, but the addition of McFadden would be a huge upgrade for the Oakland offense. He could easily be a day one starter; he does all of the little things right, he blocks hard, he doesn't take plays off, and he has an explosiveness that the Raiders haven't seen since Bo Jackson.

4. Atlanta Falcons - Matt Ryan, QB, Boston College
Note: Atlanta could pick as high as #3 or as low as #5.

Despite being an organization that is still in the midst of putting new people in high ranking positions, there are strong indications from Atlanta that the Falcons will take a QB in the first round (or perhaps second) and then have him sit for a year and prep for 2009. Those indications come from the very top: the owner, Arthur Blank. Barring a surprise out of Miami or Kansas City, the Falcons should have the chance to take their pick of the QB class.

Nevermind the Bobby Petrino connection to Brian Brohm; If the Falcons brass likes Brian Brohm the best out of the bunch, I think he'll be the man taken here. Matt Ryan ranks the highest of the QB class almost across the board, though it will ultimately come down to who the Falcons believe is the best player to lead them long-term.

5. Kansas City Chiefs - Jake Long, OT, Michigan
Note: the Chiefs will pick at either #4 or #5.

This is certainly a best case scenario for the Chiefs. Kansas City had almost no luck running the ball in 2007; their 78.0 yards per game rushing average was dead last in the NFL. Larry Johnson's problems (holdout, injury) didn't help things, nor did Priest Holmes suffering a career-ending injury after the team traded Michael Bennett, but the lack of a top level offensive tackle has played a large part in the team's rushing difficulties.

There is a chance that Kansas City might go quarterback at this position, particularly if they end up drafting in front of Atlanta and have a shot at Matt Ryan, but with the pressure on the current administration in Kansas City to win now, taking a QB here as a developmental player doesn't make a great deal of sense to me.

DE Jared Allen is an impending unrestricted free agent, and it's all but certain that the Chiefs will use the franchise tag on him. The Chiefs need a backup RB, but they can acquire that either via free agency or later in the draft, perhaps in round two or three.

6[b]. New York Jets - Sedrick Ellis, DT, USC
Sedrick Ellis is shooting up draft boards and gaining momentum to the point where he could go at #1 to Miami. At this point I don't see that happening, but at #6 Ellis would be a great value pick for the Jets, a team that desperately needs to upgrade its defense. The strange thing is that for the Jets, they have two excellent defensive players in DT Dewayne Robertson and ILB Jonathan Vilma, but neither are particularly good fits in the 3-4 system.

If Ellis goes to the Jets here, that could allow the Jets to trade Robertson, who has two years remaining on his contract.

I found this recent mock draft. Not sure if you guys get NFL Network but I watched most of the senior bowl practices that they showed live. This kid Ellis out of USC is very talented and he's capbale of playing the NT position in the 3-4 defense. I would be ok if we drafted him, Gholston or even Jake Long with our number one pick.
Last edited by killiansjmd on Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
killiansjmd
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby killiansjmd » Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:17 pm

After all the signings I'm thinking we might be looking to trade down to aquire more picks. I really want Gholston but the Pace signing would indicate that we might be going in another direction.
killiansjmd
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Sat Mar 15, 2008 6:38 pm

What does everyone think about all the moves the Jets have made? Busiest offseason that I can remember. I just hope they're making the right moves! :-o

Thanks to deluxe_247 for the awesome sig!
flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 78)

Postby killiansjmd » Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:47 am

flotsamnjetsam wrote:What does everyone think about all the moves the Jets have made? Busiest offseason that I can remember. I just hope they're making the right moves! :-o

I loved the Faneca signing. The Woody and Pace signings make me nervous. Although the fact that Parcells and the Dolphins were also going after Pace hard, makes me think the guy could be a big time player. I like the fact that Mr. T put plenty of weight clauses in Jenkins and Woody's contract. Hopefully that keeps both of them motivated.
I also really liked the Richardson and Chatman signings. This team is going to be very powerful down in the red zone.

My big concern right now is we need another CB and Coles. I think they need to redo Coles' contract or get him out of here. He will be a cancer in the lockerroom this year if he doesn't get a new deal.

I'm still hoping for Gholston to be drafted in the first round. On Jetsnation this weekend, Adam Schein reported that in converatsations between the Jets and Gholston they talked about moving him to inside LB. SO Pace and Thomas onm the outside with David Harris and Gholston on the inside...not bad!

In the second round I would love for them to drfat James Hardy. We need a big and fast WR!
killiansjmd
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Return to New York Jets