Randy Moss accused of battering woman - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Randy Moss accused of battering woman

Moderator: Football Moderators

Randy Moss accused of battering woman

Postby knapplc » Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:49 pm

Just what the Patsies need heading into the AFC Championship. Anyone have any more info on this?

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. (AP) -- Randy Moss said Wednesday that allegations he committed battery against a woman are false and that she made the claim to get money from him.

"I want to make something clear," the Patriots wide receiver said while surrounded by reporters and cameras at his locker. "In my whole entire life of living 30 years, I've never put my hand on one woman, physically or in an angry manner."

Florida radio station WDBO reported that a woman filed for an order of protection against Moss, alleging he committed battery against her. The report said a temporary injunction was issued, barring Moss from coming within 500 feet of the woman and from using or possessing firearms.

Moss gave no details of the alleged incident, saying he was restricted by the legal case.

He said the woman was a friend of 11 years and that she asked for "six figures" for what Moss said was an accident in which she was hurt.

"They're false allegations, something I've been battling for like the last couple of days of threats going public if I didn't pay X amount of dollars," Moss said. "So before people rush quick to judgment I think you need to find out the facts about, really, what's going on.

"This young lady by no means is hurt. I didn't hurt her."

New England plays the San Diego Chargers in the AFC championship game in Foxborough on Sunday.

Moss, who set an NFL record with 23 touchdown catches this season, said he spoke with coach Bill Belichick about the matter. Moss spoke to about 30 reporters in the locker room after Belichick's regular news conference at which the coach wasn't asked about it.

Moss has avoided off-field problems this season and has been hailed by other Patriots players as an excellent teammate and leader. In his previous nine seasons -- seven with Minnesota and two with Oakland -- he was involved several incidents.

With Minnesota, he was criticized by quarterback Daunte Culpepper and others for leaving the field with 2 seconds left in a regular-season loss to Washington. He bumped a traffic control officer with his car in 2002, verbally abused corporate sponsors on a team bus in 2001 and squirted an official with a water bottle in 1999.

He strongly denied the latest allegations, breaking his usual midweek silence.

"It's very unfair to athletes if a person makes a false claim. You know, there's nothing that we can do," Moss said. "The only thing that we can do is either pay up or sit back and listen to what's being said or what's being written.

"For someone to make a false claim about me, I'm kind of furious," he said. "It kind of hurts me deep inside for someone to do something like that because, you know, I've always said time and time again, I'm going to stand up for what's right. If I'm right, I'm right. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong."
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Randy Moss accused of battering woman

Postby stomperrob » Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:56 pm

A few other details:

Pats’ Moss hit with restraining order
By John Tomase and Karen Guregian
Wednesday, January 16, 2008 - Updated 39m ago

A temporary restraining order has been issued against Patriots [team stats]’ receiver Randy Moss, after a Florida woman alleged he beat her and then refused to allow her to seek medical attention on Jan. 6, according to court documents.

Rachelle Washington, 35, of Fort Lauderdale, filed a petition for a restraining order in Broward County on Monday. A temporary injunction was issued Monday against Moss by the Broward County court, ordering him to stay at least 500 feet away from her, her home and her car.

At Gillette Stadium this morning, Moss addressed the allegation, saying he’s “never laid a hand on a woman in 30 years.”

He asked fans not to rush to judge him.

A hearing has been scheduled for Jan. 28 at the Fort Lauderdale courthouse on the restraining order and the woman’s allegations.

In the court papers, Washington says the alleged incident occurred on Jan. 6 at her home. Washington alleges Moss committed “a battery upon (Washington) causing serious injury. (Moss) refused to allow (Washington) to seek medical treatment.”

Washington claims the two have been in an “intimate relationship since 1997.” She also claims in the papers that Moss has guns and has “a drug or alcohol problem.”

On Jan. 6, the Patriots were in the midst of their bye week, preceding their first playoff game on Jan. 12 against the Jacksonville Jaguars [team stats].

Moss had one catch in the 31-20 win over the Jaguars. The Patriots are currently preparing for Sunday’s AFC Championship Game against the San Diego Chargers.

The story was first reported by Rozzie Franco of radio station WDBO in Orlando.
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Postby eaglesrule » Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:00 pm

he didn't lay a hand in 30 years, but he has laid a car.

Anyway, that kind of thing is easy to accuse, especially with his rep. Probably a chargers fan.

she has known him this long and its a "drug OR alcohol problem" -- one would think she would know specifically.
The opening scene of the movie "Saving Private Ryan" is loosely based on games of dodgeball Brian Dawkins played in second grade.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Dawinner127 » Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:42 pm

Even though Moss has been accused of and\or been proven guilty for these things, I actually believe him on this that he didn't do anything.
This is a joke. Seriously, people just need to get over jealousy. Wow! He's in the NFL, great for him, I'm sure almost everyone on this forum would love to be in the NFL, but ya know what, it can't and probably won't happen (no offense to anyone here ;-D). Make your life better in a different way other than becoming a sports star. Become an accountant or a lawyer, what ever. Why drag an NFL players status down just because your jealous?

People like this just make me throw-up. :-t
Dawinner127
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 70)

Postby davidmarver » Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:40 pm

I love how you guys just dismiss the possibility of Moss committing battery against a woman when his past is questionable, at best, yet Pacman Jones is automatically guilty. Yes, Pacman certainly has a worse history, but the fact that the headline in this thread is "Randy Moss accused of battering woman" while Pacman's is "Pacman punches woman" is nothing short of creative influencing. A little too much ESbN (Everything Supports boston Network) for you guys.
davidmarver
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Cafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby eaglesrule » Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:33 pm

davidmarver wrote:I love how you guys just dismiss the possibility of Moss committing battery against a woman when his past is questionable, at best, yet Pacman Jones is automatically guilty. Yes, Pacman certainly has a worse history, but the fact that the headline in this thread is "Randy Moss accused of battering woman" while Pacman's is "Pacman punches woman" is nothing short of creative influencing. A little too much ESbN (Everything Supports boston Network) for you guys.

well that's true. but from what I read the facts in this story seem a lot shadier to me, in that she doesn't even know if his problem is with drugs or alcohol, and I would think her claims on her relationship would be easy to unspool.

And to be honest, yea, when you last run-in with the law was sparking an incident in a strip club that led to someone getting paralyzed, it's not a stretch to believe this. And contrary to popular belief, I am allowed to judge and speculate all I want, the only people who can't are juries.
The opening scene of the movie "Saving Private Ryan" is loosely based on games of dodgeball Brian Dawkins played in second grade.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Postby steelerfan513 » Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:46 pm

There are two reasons people believe Moss, none of which have to do with him being a Patriot.

1. He hasn't been a problem at all this year in one of the first years in a long time in which his team has had success.

and

2. He's being very straightforward with the media about the whole situation. He immediately came out and definitively said that he didn't do it and gave the exact reason why he's being accused. That it's a very believable story, a type of story that likely occurs often in this country but with less popular people involved, makes it that much more believable.

Personally, I think he's telling the truth, but it wouldn't completely and totally shock me if he were guilty either.
Last edited by steelerfan513 on Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby LS2throwed » Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:10 pm

davidmarver wrote:I love how you guys just dismiss the possibility of Moss committing battery against a woman when his past is questionable, at best, yet Pacman Jones is automatically guilty. Yes, Pacman certainly has a worse history, but the fact that the headline in this thread is "Randy Moss accused of battering woman" while Pacman's is "Pacman punches woman" is nothing short of creative influencing. A little too much ESbN (Everything Supports boston Network) for you guys.

so because his past is "questionable at best" that means we should believe every negative report about him that comes out??

Personally I believe him for a few reasons

1. She asked for money to keep quiet, and he didnt give her any because he felt he didnt do anything wrong in the situation...had he payed her to keep quiet and the story broke id be curious about the situation, but he knows he did no wrong...

2. The timing of the story coming out during the playoffs seems like a ploy to distract and cause turmoil, something he hasnt caused all year and had no intentions of causing...

but instead of believing Moss, im sure we should all just believe in some random female who was looking for a quick payout, hell we all know how trustworth those females are who are looking for money from athletes, they tell the truth 100% of the time ;-)

And do you know this females past? since you say Moss has a questionable past im guesing you know she is some sort of saint...I find it hard to believe a guy who has a history of mooning the crowd as a celebration, or walking off the field before the game is over would batter a female
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:18 pm

Pacman was suspended for an entire year because of his actions, Moss did a TD celebration no worse than some others around the league, but people happened to take offense to Moss'. Pacman is in the headlines for something bad every 2 seconds, Moss walked off the field when there were a couple of seconds remaining in the game. Don't even try to compare the 2 of them,

As for you' little ESbN theory, look at the thread as a whole. Sure, I'm a Patriots fan and you'll probably make a big note of that if and when you respond to this post, but the thing is, steelerfan513 is clearly a steerlers fan and thus not a Pats fan. Another person supporting him has a Patriots icon with a video camera on it for his avatar, so clearly not a Pats fan. In fact, quite the contrary. Despite not being a fan of the Pats these people still believe that Moss is innocent.

The fact is, it's not just you, this is just what happened to be the last of a number of instances that is really starting to bother me at this point. Everyone all over this forum talks about the special treatment the Patriots get, whether it is complaining that Belichek should have been suspended the entire year (wtf?), still being bitter about stomping on the field a year ago (get over it, and also, how is that different than what Florida did prior to the Capital One bowl this year?), coming up with conspiracy theories about how Goodell is going to ensure that the Pats win (again, wtf?), telling me that my opinion on Manning vs. Brady is automatically invalid because being a Patriots fan, there is no way I could possibly tell if Manning is a good QB (this was shortly after I called him one of the greatest of all time), and all sorts of other things. I understand that a lot of people don't like the Patriots, but give me a break.

As for your theory, I'd say as a whole it is the opposite. As with any team that will go undefeated in the future, people will do whatever they can to find reasons for hating them, not the other way around.

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby RocketsDWM » Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:05 pm

I think your a bit upset at the fact that the Chargers win last week was meaningless.
RocketsDWM
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicGraphics ExpertEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Next

Return to Football Talk