Ever met anybody famous? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Ever met anybody famous?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Ever met anybody famous?

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:15 am

Canucks_Fantasy wrote:
Dr. Duran Duran wrote:Because of the restaurant I work at, I see a lot of sports celebrities. In fact, last night Bills QB Trent Edwards was dining there. Just two night before that, SJ Shark Joe Thornton was there. Too bad no Colts head over here. B-) I could list every sports star that I've met there, but it would be a decent sized list. Though, former Seahawks wideout Darrell Jackson has to be the nicest and most down-to-earth person I met there, and a great tipper!

As for "celebrities", I met "Big" star Elizabeth Perkins. Extremely cool lady. I met her at a hotel where my cousin was having his wedding reception. She bought us all a round of drinks and was one of the nicest people I've met. I'll never forget that. ;-D

Joe Thornton would be pretty sweet. He would be classified as a "BIG" celebrity up here (Canada.) He's one of those guys I would recognize right away, unlike some celebrities where I might start to second guess myself.

Right on. Thornton's a regular at the restaurant, if such a thing could apply to a sports star. Scott Hannan used to frequent our place as well, until he stopped playing for the Sharks. As for other sports celebs that have been spotted at the restaurant recently: Jeff Garcia, Dana Stubblefield (really great guy and every bit as big as you'd expect), Darrell Jackson, Tim Harris, Bobby Joe Edmonds (totally caught me off guard when I met him), Alex Smith, Steve Mariucci, Wayne Gretzky (stopped in after a Sharks/Coyotes game about a month or so ago), just to name a few.
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby joelamosobadiah » Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:41 am

Being in Amarillo its rare that we get any celebrities/famous people through. We get the state politicians and a few locally famous people (usually just because they are rich so everybody knows there names). Anyway, like was mentioned earlier I am usually fairly unimpressed by celebrities because they are more often than not just full of themselves and could care less about anybody else. That's what made Lou Holtz cool. He chatted with us for a good 10 minutes about nothing, so that's cool.

Anyway, today was an unusual day. We had the entire Harlem Globetrotters team come through. That was pretty neat, but there was something funny. I don't know if any of you have ever seen their show, but they have a second team that travels with them that they basically just humiliate on the court. :-b Anyway, early this morning a group flew out. They all had the same bags, etc, so we knew they were a sports group of some sort, but didn't know what. I swear not a single one of them was over 6'2" and probably not more than 1 or 2 over 6'. I just assumed they were a baseball team of some sort. Well, when the Globetrotters came through (a couple of hours later on a separate flight) I figured out that it was their "tackling dummys" that came through before that. They had the same bags, and ID badges, etc. Made you lose a lot of respect for anything cool that the Globetrotters can do (not that they do much in those shows anyway). :-b Anyway, it was still kinda cool to see them come through today.

The second thing was this morning a guy was coming through with a huge Rolex and this guy was stacked. You could tell by the way he carried himself he was a big name guy or a pimp one. :-b Well, it turned out to be Randy Orton, WWE Champion. He was actually a really cool guy and we obviously had to check his bag since it had his championship belt in it. :-D :-b So I got to hold the belt (that thing is freakin huge and heavy). Worst thing was that he was in wrestling attire. :-o ;-7

Oh and just a story to show that celebrities aren't all that, I don't know how many of you keep up with the WSOP, but some of you might recognize the name Amarillo Slim. He's an old school professional poker player. He is the biggest a-hole you could ever meet I think. He has to get additional screening every time he comes through the airport and he is incredibly rude.

That and this snippet from Wikipedia is why I can't stand to even look at the guy hardly. :-P
In August 2003, Preston was indicted on three charges of indecency with his 12-year-old granddaughter. The charges were reduced to misdemeanor assault in a plea bargain and on February 10, 2004, he pled guilty to the reduced charges, receiving a $4,000 fine and two years deferred adjudication.[4]

The guy pretty much pleaded guilty to some pretty hideous things with his grandaughter and got off more or less scott free. He also got indicted on some other charges with another grandaughter later, but got out of those completely. :-t
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Canucks_Fantasy » Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:52 am

Meeting Orton would be cool, but why would he be in his speedo at the airport...

Apparently he's actually one of the nicest guys on the WWE roster, helping the other "smaller" wrestlers stand up to HHH and HBK.

I've always wanted to meet HBK, he would probably be the biggest jerk in real life though.
Canucks_Fantasy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby joelamosobadiah » Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:24 am

Canucks_Fantasy wrote:Meeting Orton would be cool, but why would he be in his speedo at the airport...

Apparently he's actually one of the nicest guys on the WWE roster, helping the other "smaller" wrestlers stand up to HHH and HBK.

I've always wanted to meet HBK, he would probably be the biggest jerk in real life though.

You obviously passed right over the ;-7 icon. He was NOT in his speedo. :-D

Which would be strange since I mentioned that he was wearing a huge rolex. Oh and the fact that it was like 14 degrees this morning. :-b
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby SniperShot » Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:55 am

Cool story on the Globetrotters! I remember seeing them ages ago when I was young and loved it.

Lots of great stories. ;-D
SniperShot
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 14)

Postby whodey#9 » Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:34 pm

Met Riff's Mom once........ never again :-/
whodey#9
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby BlueBandit24 » Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:47 pm

I forgot to mention a couple other famous meetings of mine:

I saw Larry Fitzgerald at a Twin Cities bowling alley this past summer. We were both getting pitchers at the bar and I looked over and did a double take, and he knew that I had recognized him. I just said hi and told him I was a fan and we ended up small talking while the bartender was filling up our pitchers. He even ended up paying for my pitcher, only like 4 bucks but I thought it was a nice gesture. Anyway, he was a real good guy.

I also ran into the band Hinder at a club in Minneapolis. Didn't really meet them but a couple of their band members started chatting with the girls we were with. One of my friends wasn't too pleased with that and ended up trying to get everyone to leave and head elsewhere. Their guitartist wasn't too happy about that and they ended up exchanging some words, but cooler heads eventually prevailed and the band turned their attention elsewhere. They actually ended up getting kicked out due to lude contact, so we ended up having the last laugh.

Good times. B-)
BlueBandit24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby The Artful Dodger » Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:04 pm

Canucks_Fantasy wrote:I've always wanted to meet HBK, he would probably be the biggest jerk in real life though.

Never met HBK before, but I've talked to Triple H a few years ago. I'd say he can easily be written off as a jerk in real life too, but I do know he's as witty and funny when he wants to be on TV. I also know Rob Van Dam fairly well (lives in the South Bay) and have met a slew of them at WrestleMania 2000 Fanfest.

I've met Mark Cuban and Ashton Kutcher at work. I once saw Paris Hilton at the Staples across the street from work.

As far as athletes go, about 7 years ago, I had seen Troy Glaus, Jim Edmonds, and Garret Anderson at the L.A. Auto Show. When Michael Olowokandi was a Clipper, he was going to driver's school at the same time I was taking lessons for my license. Almost 3 years ago, my friend and I talked to Kobe Bryant at a Starbucks. There were a few Manchester United games I had gone to where I had stuff signed by Becks, Gary Neville, and Ruud. Last but not least, when FC Barcelona were on tour in the US and stopped by in L.A. for an exhibition vs. Chivas, they trained at Loyola Marymount, my alma mater. I knew someone who had a friend on the LMU soccer team that hooked me up to meet the Barca squad after they trained. And as I write this I remember, the Minnesota Timberwolves used our gym to train for the 2004 Western Conf. final vs. the Lakers. I was quite surprised to see the likes of KG, Spreewell, Szczerbiak, et. al. walk out of there as we were going to play on it.
The Artful Dodger
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Matchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Tyeattolah » Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:23 pm

Flew from Dallas to Atlanta right behind Daryl "Moose" Johnston, really nice showed us his Super Bowl RIng and didn't seem to mind a little conversation.

Also talked to JJ "Dynamite!" Walker in a Health Club in Las Vegas...ok, some of you remember Good TImes, right? ;-7
Tyeattolah
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby biju » Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:57 pm

Being able to go to the bars when the Seattle band scene was still new, I have met a ton of the grunge rockers: Layne Staley (pulled my friend on stage during a concert to sing the third verse of "It Ain't Like That"--Layne then threatened to "kick his ass" because he sang better than he did), Jerry Cantrell (many friends of mine "smoked" with Jerry one night after a show they did before "Dirt" came out), Chris Cornell, Kim Thayil (along with many others on this list, as they *all* met at a bar we were in one night), Matt Cameron (still have a pair of his drum sticks), Ben Shepherd (he actually part owns a bar in my neighborhood and can often be seen drinking around town), Mike McCready (puts on local charity shows; my friend opened for him; great guy), Stone Gossard, Jeff Ament, Mike Musburger (still plays with my brother and a close friend of mine), and was once decent friends with Dave Abbruzzese (paid our phone bill once when we were poor and my friend ran up a $500 bill talking to his girlfriend in Paris).

I've met Warren Moon twice and was on a plane ride with him once by coincidence (who would have thought he would fly Southwest?), Mack Strong, and gave the "head nod" to Nate Burleson. From the Sonics I met Shawn Kemp, Gary Peyton and Sam Perkins ("Big Smooth").

The only Mariner I met was Jeff Cirillo and he was an ass. He was always really pissy when people asked him for autographs, but would sit and eat at Pyramid Brewery where everyone would see him. I once told him he could only act like that if he were batting above .220 (career .290 hitter, was hitting just above the Mendoza line at the time).

When I was younger I met Jake "The Snake" Roberts at Wild Waves (a water park) in Federal Way (where I grew up).

The only actor/actress I can really remember meeting was the movie daughter of Phil Hartman when he was cast in a bad Sinbad movie called "Houseguest" (her name was Kim I think, and she was smokin' hot). She used to date a friend of mine back in high school.

I'm sure there are more, but those were the ones that came to mind while typing this up.
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk