Interesting tidbit about Marshawn Lynch value - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Interesting tidbit about Marshawn Lynch value

Moderator: Football Moderators

Interesting tidbit about Marshawn Lynch value

Postby LS2throwed » Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:56 pm

New Bills offensive coordinator Turk Schonert anticipates using Marshawn Lynch as an every-down back in 2008.

Lynch lost passing-down duties to Anthony Thomas, and later Fred Jackson as a rookie. "He's had a year, he understands the protections now," said Schonert. "He'll be an integral part of our third-down package." Lynch should get more catches and more in-space opportunities in the revised offense. Jan. 16 - 2:45 pm et

thats pretty interesting...judging from how he performed when he was healthy, I dont see any reason why he shouldnt finish as a top back next year...remember full time/feature backs are hard to come by, if he is going to be used the same as Steven Jackson and Frank Gore we could be looking at a huge year for him in their offense which clearly starts with him...

this is a guy who probably wont be picked in the 1st rd but should be looked at in the 2nd at the latest, I went back and looked at some averages for him in the games he played in and this is what they looked like...

21 carries per game
85 rushing yds per game

those numbers are pretty solid and consistent, especially considering he will be getting an increased workload and being more involved in the passing game as he was in college, he looks like a guy who should be able to get at minimum 10 fantasy pts per week
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Interesting tidbit about Marshawn Lynch value

Postby FantasyMan13 » Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:11 pm

He should be great value in the 2nd round next year. He was a beast when healthy.
FantasyMan13
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 40)

Postby mikus » Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:59 am

Hopefully Buffalo will start adding some talent on offense around Lynch. He should be a good player for years to come in this league.
Thanks to madaslives911 for the sweet sig!
The Hazean: Fantasy football galore
mikus
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Location: Same place as every other blogger: My Mom's basement. That is where bloggers work, right?

Postby LS2throwed » Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:15 pm

If they take someone like Malcolm Kelly at #11 in the draft, their entire offense could get a huge boost for everyone...Edwards would really have some weapons to work with
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby sublimeandy » Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:38 pm

after hearing this and seeing the solid numbers that marshawn put up this year, i think it's safe to say that he will be a top 10 rb with potential to go higher, who will probably get drafted in the middle of the second round in most drafts. he looks like a great value pick to me. i will definitely be targeting him.
sublimeandy
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby mattb47 » Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:42 am

sublimeandy wrote:after hearing this and seeing the solid numbers that marshawn put up this year, i think it's safe to say that he will be a top 10 rb with potential to go higher, who will probably get drafted in the middle of the second round in most drafts. he looks like a great value pick to me. i will definitely be targeting him.

Considering how often RBs get hurt, it's pretty much never "safe" to say that a guy will be top 10 at this point....especially not a guy like Lynch who had his fair share of injury troubles in his rookie campaign. I think if he's healthy he could definitely land in the top 10, but that's always the big "if" isn't it....he certainly has upside though and will be worth grabbing in the 2nd round.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby sublimeandy » Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:36 pm

mattb47 wrote:
sublimeandy wrote:after hearing this and seeing the solid numbers that marshawn put up this year, i think it's safe to say that he will be a top 10 rb with potential to go higher, who will probably get drafted in the middle of the second round in most drafts. he looks like a great value pick to me. i will definitely be targeting him.

Considering how often RBs get hurt, it's pretty much never "safe" to say that a guy will be top 10 at this point....especially not a guy like Lynch who had his fair share of injury troubles in his rookie campaign. I think if he's healthy he could definitely land in the top 10, but that's always the big "if" isn't it....he certainly has upside though and will be worth grabbing in the 2nd round.

save your semantics arguments for english class. by your logic it isn't safe to say anyone is a top 10 pick, but clearly 10 people are going to finish in the top 10 and based upon what has been said about marshawn lynch i think he stands A VERY GOOD chance to be one of them.
sublimeandy
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby mattb47 » Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:47 pm

sublimeandy wrote:
mattb47 wrote:

save your semantics arguments for english class. by your logic it isn't safe to say anyone is a top 10 pick, but clearly 10 people are going to finish in the top 10 and based upon what has been said about marshawn lynch i think he stands A VERY GOOD chance to be one of them.

Hey now, settle down there. It's a VERY legitimate distinction to make considering the amount of players that have looked like surefire top 10 or even top 5 RBs that haven't quite lived up to it in recent years. Considering Lynch's injury issues this past year and the offensive struggles in Buffalo, it's not unreasonable to say that he carries a decent amount of risk and is VERY far from safe this year. Until he plays a full year, top 10 is a reach to say that he has a very good chance of landing there. That means he's going to be beating out 10 of LT, AD, SJax, Westy, Addai, Portis, Gore, M. Barber, Parker, McGahee, LJ, R. Brown, MJD, B. Jacobs, Jamal Lewis, etc. I'm not saying I think all these guys will end up ahead of him, but all these guys have that potential. This is certainly possible, don't get me wrong and I would certainly look for him in the mid-2nd round....but the mid-2nd round is about right for his value, getting good value for him would be getting him in the late 2nd/early 3rd.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby LS2throwed » Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:16 pm

mattb47 wrote:Hey now, settle down there. It's a VERY legitimate distinction to make considering the amount of players that have looked like surefire top 10 or even top 5 RBs that haven't quite lived up to it in recent years. Considering Lynch's injury issues this past year and the offensive struggles in Buffalo, it's not unreasonable to say that he carries a decent amount of risk and is VERY far from safe this year. Until he plays a full year, top 10 is a reach to say that he has a very good chance of landing there. That means he's going to be beating out 10 of LT, AD, SJax, Westy, Addai, Portis, Gore, M. Barber, Parker, McGahee, LJ, R. Brown, MJD, B. Jacobs, Jamal Lewis, etc. I'm not saying I think all these guys will end up ahead of him, but all these guys have that potential. This is certainly possible, don't get me wrong and I would certainly look for him in the mid-2nd round....but the mid-2nd round is about right for his value, getting good value for him would be getting him in the late 2nd/early 3rd.

thats agreed about his value, and as far as injury concerns, It doesnt bother me if he is handcuffed on my team...but any back that is guaranteed to get all of his carries(goal line, 3rd down, passing downs) are hard to come by, so if you get him and handcuff him with Fred Jackson its not too much of a concern...besides if its anything weve learned "injury prone" or "prior injury history" means nothing...

How many games did Fred Taylor and Clinton Portis play this season? every single game, and both were considered questionable 2 play at a full load or considered injury prone players...So that doesnt hold much weight with me, if ive learned anything its handcuff your top back, maybe the 2nd one if you have the room and there isnt much to worry about...

If I go into the draft and take Addai first rd, and Lynch the 2nd, and end up with F. Jackson and K. Keith on my bench im not too worried about either being injured, regardless of whether one barely played at all this year or not...MJD has just as much chance to get hurt nxt year as lynch or peterson does, I dont think prior seasons and how many games they missed holds any weight in future seasons
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby mattb47 » Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:33 pm

Well, for the record I've always thought that Fred Taylor and Clinton Portis's injury histories are always blown out of proportion. Fred was never as injury prone as people thought he was except for very early in his career and I thought Portis would have a good year this year too. I'm talking more about guys who have yet to complete an NFL season without going down with an injury, that concerns me far more than guys who usually are out there but have had a few injury ridden seasons.

Of course you can always handcuff any back, but there is a reason that the backup is the backup and why they'll be giving Lynch touches in every situation. The point still is there that the backups will likely not perform as well as Lynch will when he's healthy and so if he misses a good amount of time again, even with the handcuff it wouldn't have been good value taking him there. While I'm all for handcuffing....I feel like sometimes it's overused a bit and makes people feel better than they should about taking RBs with a decent amount of injury risk.

Personally, I think having injury risks still DOES make a big difference and while sometimes freak injuries happen, you'll find that those who are often injured tend to keep up that tendency over time.

This all being said, I do like Lynch and think he has a good shot at being a reasonable RB option this year and holds solid value in the mid 2nd and good value in the late 2nd/early 3rd....it's just worth pointing out that he still has a lot to prove especially with respect to being able to stay healthy for a whole year as most RBs do coming into their second season.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Next

Return to Football Talk