Mass Effect - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Video Games

Mass Effect

Moderator: Football Moderators

Mass Effect

Postby Madison » Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:28 am

I've got a copy of this laying around that I haven't had a chance to play yet. Saw a very interesting review on it though. Not sure if this guy is a total whacko (he is at least in part a whacko) and way off base, but here:

http://www.townhall.com/Columnists/KevinMcCullough/2008/01/13/the_sex-box_race_for_president?page=full&comments=true

This paragraph tells me he's not the brightest of people:

If a pre-teen, teen, young adult, or adult male plays such a game in which the women DO submit without choice, are made to appear as Barbie streetwalkers, and perform whatever act can be imagined, what's to stop that same male from assuming that the women in his "other world" shouldn't be forced to do the same.

So the idiot has no clue as far as what "parenting" is, but is he right on what can be done in the game? :-? That's not what I thought this game was. :-o Anyone played it and can share anything? Thanks! ;-D

I am the Reaper of Men,
The Chaser of Souls,
The Weaver of Nightmares,
I am The Heart of Darkness.
I now, and ever will be,
The Purity of Evil.
Madison
Lord of Darkness
Lord of Darkness

ExecutiveMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberMatchup Meltdown ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Mass Effect

Postby Free Bagel » Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:11 pm

Lol, what the heck is this guy talking about?

As far as I know there are only 3 women you can "get with" in the game. I've gone through the acts with two of them and in both cases the woman was the aggressor.

As for the part about getting them to do any act? WTF? They show nothing and imply only sex in the same way any PG-13 tv show or movie does. Seriously, when the "sex scene" leaked before the game came out and was posted on joystiq, x3f, etc everyone talked about how it was nothing and joked around calling it the "safe for work sex scene".
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Madison » Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:17 pm

Thanks Bagel! ;-D

I broke it out and tested it out this evening. Didn't see anything odd or unusual. Could change up the character's faces, but not the rest of his or her body, and haven't run across any areas or scenes where I could do anything like what he described. :-?

Nice graphics though (HD) and the storyline seems to be interesting. I like it that you can choose the answers or directions (to an extent) the conversations go. Not just the "read this, push x, read that, push x" stuff we used to have in the past. So far I'd say I'm impressed with the game. ;-D Take note I haven't played many games the last few years. Mostly a few racing and sports games with an occasional RPG tossed in, so I'm probably not too hard to impress nowadays. :-b

I am the Reaper of Men,
The Chaser of Souls,
I now, and ever will be,
The Purity of Evil.
Madison
Lord of Darkness
Lord of Darkness

ExecutiveMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberMatchup Meltdown ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Free Bagel » Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:09 am

Madison wrote:and haven't run across any areas or scenes where I could do anything like what he described. :-?

The first opportunity to hit a homerun is actually pretty early on in the game, but she totally offers ;)

As for the game, yeah I really liked it. Just finished my first playthrough and will probably go through a couple more times to see how some of the things can be different with different decisions.

It's not quite like KOTOR where your choices could actually completely change the endgame, as this is the first game in a trilogy so I'd imagine that would be nearly impossible to make #2 and #3 with wildly different endings to #1, but you can still have some major influences on the story and the universe. There are a couple choices in particular that you just kind of gawk at the game giving you that much control over things.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby Madison » Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:43 am

Free Bagel wrote:
Madison wrote:and haven't run across any areas or scenes where I could do anything like what he described. :-?

The first opportunity to hit a homerun is actually pretty early on in the game, but she totally offers ;)

As for the game, yeah I really liked it. Just finished my first playthrough and will probably go through a couple more times to see how some of the things can be different with different decisions.

It's not quite like KOTOR where your choices could actually completely change the endgame, as this is the first game in a trilogy so I'd imagine that would be nearly impossible to make #2 and #3 with wildly different endings to #1, but you can still have some major influences on the story and the universe. There are a couple choices in particular that you just kind of gawk at the game giving you that much control over things.

Heh. :-b Sounds funny. I didn't play that long. Just checked out the character stuff to see if the guy in the article was accurate about designing the players' bodies, which it appears he wasn't. Then did the stuff on the ship, and now I'm on Eden Prime (I think it was), looking for that really old item (forgot what they called it :-o :-b ). Got the chick in my party now though and learning how it all works. :-)

So far though, the guy in the article is a moron. :-b

I am the Reaper of Men,
The Chaser of Souls,
I now, and ever will be,
The Purity of Evil.
Madison
Lord of Darkness
Lord of Darkness

Postby beanoX3 » Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:06 pm

It annoys me very much to see Bioware focusing so much on console games now. :-[ :,-(
The cake is a lie.
beanoX3
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Madison » Sat Jan 19, 2008 4:15 am

Have to admit there's a ton of storyline stuff that's interesting. The water is awesome looking as well. ;-D

Made it to the "city" now. Running around doing all the sidequests. I "think" I've got all of my party members now too. :-)

I am the Reaper of Men,
The Chaser of Souls,
I now, and ever will be,
The Purity of Evil.
Madison
Lord of Darkness
Lord of Darkness

Postby deluxe_247 » Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:12 pm

i started into it a few weeks ago, but then got sidetracked into playing assassins creed by my co-workers. now that i have that beat, going to get back into mass effect. i had just entered the city the last time i played, so i know im way early in the game. i havent had any chances to have sex yet or i would have killed it :-b :-D . anyways, seems like a cool game so far. ;-D
deluxe_247
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerBig Sig ChampionMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Guru13 » Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:12 pm

I've played quite a few extra missions and am working on Noveria right now. Fun game, and pretty long from what I'm hearing, a few of my friends have beaten it.
Guru13
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Guru13 » Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:15 pm

Noveria Boss (Matriarch Benezia) is a wee bit tough, going to play it now. Tried it a bit last night and didn't beat it after a few tries so I went and watched Dirty Jobs. :-b
Guru13
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Next

Return to Video Games