Queen Takes Knight - Bobby Fischer Dies - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Queen Takes Knight - Bobby Fischer Dies

Moderator: Football Moderators

Queen Takes Knight - Bobby Fischer Dies

Postby knapplc » Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:34 am

Brilliant chess master, world-class eccentric Bobby Fischer dies

Chess master Bobby Fischer, one of the greatest chess players in history, has died, a spokesman for the World Chess Federation confirmed to CNN Friday. He was 64.

No cause of death was given.

Fischer became the first American world chess champion when he defeated Boris Spassky of the Soviet Union in a legendary encounter during the Cold War in 1972.

Former Russian chess champion Garry Kasparov said Fischer would be remembered as "the pioneer, some would say the founder, of professional chess" and called his death "very sad news."

According to media reports in Iceland, Fischer died at a hospital in the capital, Reykjavik. He moved to Iceland after being granted citizenship in 2005. Video Watch Fischer arrive to cheers in Iceland »

Fischer became almost as famous for his personality quirks and his renegade behavior as for his brilliance at chess.

He learned to play as a child in Brooklyn, New York, and quickly became a prodigy. He was only 15 when he reached the level of grand master in August, 1958.

His memorable and tumultuous defeat of Spassky in 21 games highlighted his eccentricity.

He forfeited the second game of the contest after he refused to play on, complaining that the presence of cameras was distracting him. The match was then moved to a back room.

Some suspected that Fischer's sometimes bizarre behavior throughout the match was intended to unnerve the highly disciplined Spassky.

Fischer never defended his crown, refusing a 1975 match against Anatoly Karpov, another Soviet. The WCF awarded the title to Karpov and Fischer dropped from sight for nearly two decades.

In 1992, he resurfaced to play Spassky in a rematch in Belgrade, a move that defied U.S. sanctions against the former Yugoslavia.

He won the chess match and the prize money of $3.5 million, but spent the next decade as a reclusive and somewhat mysterious figure who was regarded as a fugitive by American authorities.

"He was truly a great player, one of the best there has ever been. It is a sad loss to the world of chess," said Gerry Walsh, the head of the English branch of the WCF. He had been ill for some time, Walsh said.

"Fischer was a source of inspiration for all young players," said Kasparov, who said he would be remembered for his efforts to improve conditions for fellow professionals in the game and as a "warrior" on the chessboard.

He added that Fischer's early retirement was a great loss to chess as he retreated into what Kasparov termed "his mental self-exile."

In recent years, Fischer became better known for his outspoken criticism of the United States. Interviewed by a Philippines radio station hours after the September 11, 2001, terrorist attacks, he allegedly called reports of a plane hitting the Pentagon "wonderful news" and said American foreign policy had provoked the attacks.

He also become known for virulent anti-Semitism, even though his mother was Jewish. In 2002, Atlantic magazine reported that during a Manila radio broadcast he described his enemies as "Jews, secret Jews, or CIA rats who work for the Jews."

"The tragedy is that he left this world too early, and his extravagant life and scandalous statements did not contribute to the popularity of chess," former champion Kasparov told The Associated Press.
advertisement

Fischer was arrested in 2004 at Narita Airport in Tokyo, Japan, for traveling on a U.S. passport that was revoked after the 1992 Belgrade match. Japan detained him for nine months while he fought deportation to the United States.

In March 2005 Iceland invited Fischer to live there. Japan released him, and he promptly renounced his U.S. citizenship and became a citizen and resident of Iceland.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Queen Takes Knight - Bobby Fischer Dies

Postby The Artful Dodger » Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:43 pm

Pretty sad indeed. I idolized this guy when I played chess as a kid. Had his book of all of his recorded games I would study off of too. He was a weird one; I remembered hearing a long time ago how he hated losing to any Russian to the point he was inconsolable after defeats. A legend nonetheless.
The Artful Dodger
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Matchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby treat24 » Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:48 pm

I read about this .... sad ... RIP
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I'm drinking 'til I forget the 1999 NFC Championship game.

Postby Tyeattolah » Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:14 pm

defintely a weird one...went a little wacky to say the least! But one heck of a chess player
Tyeattolah
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby SniperShot » Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:19 pm

The Artful Dodger wrote:Pretty sad indeed. I idolized this guy when I played chess as a kid. Had his book of all of his recorded games I would study off of too. He was a weird one; I remembered hearing a long time ago how he hated losing to any Russian to the point he was inconsolable after defeats. A legend nonetheless.
Same here. I still have a book Bobby Fischer Teaches Chess and it has all kinds of setups and things for you to see patterns of moves and strategy. I haven't played Chess in a while, I'm kinda inspired to get back into it now.
SniperShot
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 14)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:32 pm

SniperShot wrote:
The Artful Dodger wrote:Pretty sad indeed. I idolized this guy when I played chess as a kid. Had his book of all of his recorded games I would study off of too. He was a weird one; I remembered hearing a long time ago how he hated losing to any Russian to the point he was inconsolable after defeats. A legend nonetheless.
Same here. I still have a book Bobby Fischer Teaches Chess and it has all kinds of setups and things for you to see patterns of moves and strategy. I haven't played Chess in a while, I'm kinda inspired to get back into it now.

I wished I remembered the title as a whole, but I think the book I have is Bobby Fischer: The Complete Games of a World Chess Champion. Something like that, but at any rate, it had his games as a scholastic amateur up until Reykjavik 1972. I have some other chess books on strategy and traps that I used as complement, but I used Fischer's book to get a really good handle on how he developed his strategy within games. I became more inspired to start games in a Queen's Gambit and I found better success with this than the conventional Ruy Lopez; I suppose it has to do with better spacing that comes with it when played well and aggressively enough.

I started playing chess when I was 6 or 7 and stopped playing in USCF rated tournaments when I was 16. Even though my rating was decent, I didn't think I could reach master's level and just focused on other things really. I play chess every now and then, but I don't the study the game as I used to. I'd love to start playing with regularity, but it's going to be more of a hobby than a profession, which I once treated it as.
The Artful Dodger
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:30 pm

Very sad that he died. Seems like with Evil Kenevil and him, legends from the previous generation are starting to pass away.

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Metroid » Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:35 pm

I'll bite my tongue on this one. :-?

The guy made some pretty harsh statements after 9-11. :-t

http://www.rense.com/general17/chessgrandmaster.htm
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby The Artful Dodger » Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:12 pm

Metroid wrote:I'll bite my tongue on this one. :-?

I know I was pretty surprised by his comments over 9/11, but then again, he had the reputation of discriminating against Jewish people even if he himself was Jewish. I respect him most as a chess player, as he was just a brilliant mind in the game. As a person, like I said, he's just bizarre, but I don't think this diminishes what he was as a chess player.
The Artful Dodger
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Sixxgunn » Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:58 pm

The Artful Dodger wrote:
Metroid wrote:I'll bite my tongue on this one. :-?

I know I was pretty surprised by his comments over 9/11, but then again, he had the reputation of discriminating against Jewish people even if he himself was Jewish. I respect him most as a chess player, as he was just a brilliant mind in the game. As a person, like I said, he's just bizarre, but I don't think this diminishes what he was as a chess player.

I won't be so kind. He wasn't, and thus is undeserving of it. The man was a deplorable human being and I use the word human loosely. This is no great tragedy, no great loss. Yes, he played some great games of chess. So what? It's chess. Then he refused to defend his title, and verbally attacked our country as well as Jewish people and who knows who else that didn't get publicized. All acts of cowardice. He wasn't a great human, wasn't a great chess player ( a great chess player actively plays), he played chess great once, and never did he come close to living his life as a great man.
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/1065/sixgunn7ao0rc.jpg[/img][/url]
Sixxgunn
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Next

Return to General Talk