Queen Takes Knight - Bobby Fischer Dies - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Queen Takes Knight - Bobby Fischer Dies

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Queen Takes Knight - Bobby Fischer Dies

Postby joelamosobadiah » Sat Jan 19, 2008 3:56 am

OK, let's really think about this for a moment. Let's say that there was this professional athlete. Normal white male, greatest in his sport. However he was incredibly and openly racist and on top of that said that the 9-11 attacks, (something that united and angered America as a whole like never before in recent years), he says that was wonderful news that they happened. Overjoyed to see Americans killed innocently.

Do you think anybody would morn his death? This honestly makes no sense at all. People are about ready to do anything shy of going out and killing Barry Bonds themselves just for steroid use. Sure, thats bad, but at least he doesn't hate other races openly or get pleasure from the killing of Americans.

Honestly, lets get real here people.

EDIT: I am not glad that this man died, I don't find pleasure in that, however, I don't feel any sad or remorseful feeling in any way either.
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby josebach » Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:35 am

joelamosobadiah wrote:EDIT: I am not glad that this man died, I don't find pleasure in that, however, I don't feel any sad or remorseful feeling in any way either.

That pretty much sums up the way I feel. He let his bias for America affect his judgement and where his judgement was impeccable on the chess board, in real life it sucked.
josebach
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby SniperShot » Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:27 am

Bobby Fischer was a little messed up but his hatred for the US didn't come out of nowhere.

In 1992 he wanted a rematch with one of his old great rivals and all he wanted to do was play Chess. But oh no it was in Yugoslavia, can't accept winnings from that country which was under some embargo at the time. Why let politics get in the way of Chess Bobby wondered. Now something he definitely shouldn't have done was spit on the US order sent to him that it was illegal to take part in the sporting event in that country. Fischer was definitely a weirdo but if it wasn't for him I probably wouldn't have liked chess so much when I was younger.

Looking at it as a Chess player I am saddened by his death. Looking at it as a United States citizen I could really care less about a man who basically spat in front of the US, renounced his citizenship, and hated his country...

Fischer was a Chess player though and one darn good one who had an unorthodox way of doing things. Some of his games man, amazing.
SniperShot
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 14)

Previous

Return to General Talk