Return to Detroit Lions

Colletto speaks...

Moderator: Football Moderators

Colletto speaks...

Postby stomperrob » Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:26 pm

...but doesn't say a whole lot:

Friday, January 18, 2008
Kitna not guaranteed to start next season
New Lions offensive coordinator Colletto raises the possibility at introductory conference.
Mike O'Hara / The Detroit News

MADISON HEIGHTS -- Jon Kitna doesn't anticipate being sacked from his job as the Lions' starting quarterback because of a change in offensive coordinators.

The possibility of the starting job being open to competition was raised Thursday at a news conference introducing Jim Colletto as the Lions' new offensive coordinator.

Colletto was promoted from offensive-line coach on Jan. 4 to replace Mike Martz, who was fired in a shakeup of the offensive staff by coach Rod Marinelli. Kippy Brown, the wide receivers coach under Martz the last two years, was promoted to assistant head coach and passing game coordinator.

Kitna has been unchallenged as the starter for two years, but Colletto indicated there could be competition.

"We're going to go into the OTAs (offseason workouts) and training camp and let it all sort itself out," Colletto said at Lions headquarters in Allen Park.

Marinelli was stronger in support of Kitna.

"He ended up the season being the starter, just like Jeff Backus is our starting left tackle," Marinelli said. "He's our starting quarterback right now when he comes in after the season.

"The thing that Jon obviously brings is a command that I really like -- an ability to manage."

Kitna isn't afraid of competition but doesn't expect to lose his job.

"I feel challenged all the time," Kitna said. "I don't really feel threatened. I guess that's the best way to say it.

"I'm never afraid of that (competition). That's how I got in this league. I just know that's not the best thing for your team. We'll just go with whatever they think is best."

Kitna was interviewed at the grand opening of a Circuit City store in Madison Heights. He also presented a check for $2,500 to the Boys & Girls Clubs of Oakland County.

Kitna took every snap in 2006 and started all 16 games again in 2007. J.T. O'Sullivan and Dan Orlovsky were the backups last year. Rookie Drew Stanton spent the season on injured reserve.

O'Sullivan got meaningful playing time in one game. He relieved Kitna for part of the Week 2 game -- a 20-17 overtime victory over Minnesota at Ford Field -- when Kitna went out because of a mild concussion.

Substantial changes are in order for the offense, which was heavily weighted toward the passing game for two years under Martz. There were reports Martz and Marinelli disagreed over that philosophy.

Marinelli admitted Thursday he wanted a stronger running game, with more emphasis on controlling the ball.

Colletto will call plays and run the offense. Brown's input primarily will be in the passing game.

Colletto will have fewer plays and emphasize what players do best and give the quarterback more control and responsibility at the line of scrimmage to change plays.

Under Martz, the quarterback was not allowed to call audibles.

"You don't have to be a genius to figure these things out," Colletto said. "I want to make sure that we run a real balanced style of football. Make the defense have to play both run and pass.

"You don't have to be real fancy. You just have to be a good executing team."

Colletto did not criticize Martz, who has been hired by the 49ers.

"The only thing I can say in terms of problems is, we just had too much, and we couldn't do all the things we tried to do all the time," Colletto said. "We're not going to practice things we don't use in a game. It's a waste of time.

"I would have liked to have more numbers of runs in a game, but not more running plays."

Kitna said he had more control at the line in Cincinnati, where he played for four years before coming to the Lions.

"You know what I think about Mike, but I'm excited about this opportunity, too," Kitna said. "It's kind of what I did in my years in Cincy -- more at the line of scrimmage, being in control of things a little bit more."
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 160)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Colletto speaks...

Postby moochman » Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:43 pm

Gotto love this team, they talk out of twelve sides of their mouths! "We are promoting Colletto becuase we want to maintain some continuity!" Then Colletto comes out and talks about the changes in the offense and that Kitna isn't necessarily annointed as next year's starter. Now I am no English proffessor, but I am pretty sure that at the core of the word continuity is continue not change. But the Lions remain, as they always have been, all about the talk. Now we have to presume that they are going to give Stanton, Orlovski and O' Bullshivagan a chance to win the starting QB job?
Flat out lie, total lip service.
You can't have Lions without the Lie

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby dream_017 » Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:48 pm

If a Lions coach speaks and the fans are not there to hear it, did he really say anything :-?
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 59)

Postby moochman » Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:44 pm

It just occurs to me that Martz was such a genius that the Lions had to have two OCs just to dumb down his O.

moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Atog » Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:56 pm

Who is Colletto again?

Probably an important coach or assistant for the Lions. I'm not sure how I feel about their new strategy of promoting no-names to top coaching positions in the hopes of finding a genius. After all, we've been signing no-names for years now and expecting them to be quality starters (Paris Lenon).
Atog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Postby moochman » Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:35 am

Atog wrote:Who is Colletto again?

Probably an important coach or assistant for the Lions. I'm not sure how I feel about their new strategy of promoting no-names to top coaching positions in the hopes of finding a genius. After all, we've been signing no-names for years now and expecting them to be quality starters (Paris Lenon).

Colletto is a cheap, evironmentally friendly alternative to a real OC. The 2 trains of thought on his promotion are that he works cheap. The Leos have to pay Martz off so weren't wanting to spend any more coin on the coaching staff. Also he is extremely disposable. If Marinelli leads the team to a 10 or more loss season then we can sweep out the whole pile, from the dummy head coach, his son-in-law, his son-in-law's Daddy, the OCs, and even the designated naked drunk driver. Everyone goes but the King Turd Matt Millen, who will continue to kling onto to the rectum of an owner.

moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Return to Detroit Lions