NFL Network Debate - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

NFL Network Debate

Moderator: Football Moderators

NFL Network Debate

Postby deerayfan072 » Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:42 am

Hey guys. I am writing my seminar paper for law school on whether the government should repeal the Sports Broadcasting Act of 1961 due how the NFL is using the NFL Network and Direct TV contracts. Essentially they are maximizing profit, while reducing output because of the number of games shown. No one has written on this yet so I could get my out and published because of that, the other side is that because no one has written on it, there is very little to go on as far as research.

If any of you come across an article that talks about the NFL Network debate or the SBA of 1961 could you forward it on to me. Thanks ;-D
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Re: NFL Network Debate

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:55 am

This is a site I found that discusses a few topics.

http://iwantnflnetwork.com/whats_on.php
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 79)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Postby deerayfan072 » Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:53 pm

Cowboys 4 life wrote:This is a site I found that discusses a few topics.

Thanks CB4L. That is definitley helpful and has the reverse side of my argument. I think they need to pull it to force the NFL to stop what they are doing and that has the NFL side of it. Very helpful so I know the arguments on both sides and can counter each ;-D
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:57 pm

deerayfan072 wrote:
Cowboys 4 life wrote:This is a site I found that discusses a few topics.

Thanks CB4L. That is definitley helpful and has the reverse side of my argument. I think they need to pull it to force the NFL to stop what they are doing and that has the NFL side of it. Very helpful so I know the arguments on both sides and can counter each ;-D

Hannibal - I love it when a plan comes together. ;-D
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 79)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Postby thedude » Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:38 am

deerayfan072 wrote:Hey guys. I am writing my seminar paper for law school on whether the government should repeal the Sports Broadcasting Act of 1961 due how the NFL is using the NFL Network and Direct TV contracts. Essentially they are maximizing profit, while reducing output because of the number of games shown. No one has written on this yet so I could get my out and published because of that, the other side is that because no one has written on it, there is very little to go on as far as research.

If any of you come across an article that talks about the NFL Network debate or the SBA of 1961 could you forward it on to me. Thanks ;-D

In economic terms the best way for a monopoly to maximize profit is too reduce output.
thedude
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby deerayfan072 » Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:22 am

thedude wrote:
deerayfan072 wrote:Hey guys. I am writing my seminar paper for law school on whether the government should repeal the Sports Broadcasting Act of 1961 due how the NFL is using the NFL Network and Direct TV contracts. Essentially they are maximizing profit, while reducing output because of the number of games shown. No one has written on this yet so I could get my out and published because of that, the other side is that because no one has written on it, there is very little to go on as far as research.

In economic terms the best way for a monopoly to maximize profit is too reduce output.

Exactly, which is why my thesis is that the government needs to step in and pull there exemption because they are coming dangerously close to being a monopoly and harming the consumers
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Lofunzo » Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:45 pm

What exactly is your argument on this topic and are you including the NFL Network and Sunday Ticket into the discussion??
"There is no bad beer. Some are better than others."
Lofunzo
Head Coach
Head Coach

Baseball ModHockey Mod

Postby deerayfan072 » Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:18 pm

Lofunzo wrote:What exactly is your argument on this topic and are you including the NFL Network and Sunday Ticket into the discussion??

Yea the Sunday ticket is another example of why the act has gone to far in allowing the networks to unilaterally negoitiate. They are broadcasting less games (b/c not everyone has the Dish) and making more money because direct tv paid out the wazoo for the rights. They did not even let other companies bid for the rights to have the ticket
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Lofunzo » Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:39 pm

deerayfan072 wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:What exactly is your argument on this topic and are you including the NFL Network and Sunday Ticket into the discussion??

Yea the Sunday ticket is another example of why the act has gone to far in allowing the networks to unilaterally negoitiate. They are broadcasting less games (b/c not everyone has the Dish) and making more money because direct tv paid out the wazoo for the rights. They did not even let other companies bid for the rights to have the ticket

Sunday ticket will never be available to the majority of viewers. Common sense from the viewer's standpoint says that, if they offered it to more people, they would make more money from the additional subscribers. It's not that easy, though. ST was never intended to be out there for everyone. If so, it would cripple advertising. CBS NY, for example, generates revenues based on their regional advertising. If a lot of people in the area were watching other games each week, it would kill them.

As for allowing other companies to enter into the discussion, I am not sure how feasible that is. Murdoch and DTV have basically let it be known that they are about sports. NFL ST is what separates them from other providers. Dish Network?? They never cared as it seems like they are more interested in the international programming angle. That leaves the digital cable companies. I suppose that in theory they could negotiate individually but, in reality, you would probably see the big cable cpompanies like Comcast, Cablevision, and Time Warner going into it together but that would bring us back to the scenario where the advertisers would be screwed because there would be a ton more subs.
"There is no bad beer. Some are better than others."
Lofunzo
Head Coach
Head Coach

Baseball ModHockey Mod

Postby deerayfan072 » Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:56 pm

Lofunzo wrote:
deerayfan072 wrote:

Sunday ticket will never be available to the majority of viewers. Common sense from the viewer's standpoint says that, if they offered it to more people, they would make more money from the additional subscribers. It's not that easy, though. ST was never intended to be out there for everyone. If so, it would cripple advertising. CBS NY, for example, generates revenues based on their regional advertising. If a lot of people in the area were watching other games each week, it would kill them.

As for allowing other companies to enter into the discussion, I am not sure how feasible that is. Murdoch and DTV have basically let it be known that they are about sports. NFL ST is what separates them from other providers. Dish Network?? They never cared as it seems like they are more interested in the international programming angle. That leaves the digital cable companies. I suppose that in theory they could negotiate individually but, in reality, you would probably see the big cable cpompanies like Comcast, Cablevision, and Time Warner going into it together but that would bring us back to the scenario where the advertisers would be screwed because there would be a ton more subs.

Doesn't matter what it was intended to do. The laws that govern the United States and its antitrust matters are there to promote competition and not the competitors.
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Next

Return to Football Talk