DraftInsiders mock NFL draft - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

DraftInsiders mock NFL draft

Moderator: Football Moderators

DraftInsiders mock NFL draft

Postby stomperrob » Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:20 pm

From Rivals.com (note - this was done before the list of underclassmen declaring was final):

January 18, 2008

Frank Coyle, draftinsiders.com
Special to Rivals.com College Football

The NFL Draft order isn't completely set, but many of the underclassmen who intended declare for the draft have done so at this point.

It's never too early to take a look at how the draft might shake out if it were held tomorrow.

Rivals.com asked its NFL Draft partner - Frank Coyle of draftinsiders.com - to put together a first-round mock draft with comments.

Enjoy.

1. Miami (1-15)
The Pick: Matt Ryan, QB, Boston College
The buzz: The Dolphins begin the Parcells era with a 'winner' at the game's most important position.

2. St. Louis (3-13)
The Pick: Glenn Dorsey, DT, LSU
The buzz: Dorsey is a dominant inside force that is much needed along the Rams front four.

x - 3. Atlanta (4-12)
The Pick: Darren McFadden, RB, Arkansas*
The buzz: The Falcons must rebuild, especially at QB, but McFadden would be too good to pass on here.

x - 4. Oakland (4-12)
The Pick: Chris Long, DE, Virginia
The buzz: Al Davis might continue the old Raider lineage with this selection.

x - 5. Kansas City (4-12)
The Pick: Brian Brohm, QB, Louisville
The buzz: The Chiefs are a total offensive disaster this season, and the quarterback spot is their highest priority.

6. N.Y. Jets (4-12)
The Pick: Jake Long, OT, Michigan
The buzz: The Jets want to land a blue-chip offensive lineman, and Long is a fine bookend tackle.

7. New England (From San Francisco (5-11))
The Pick: Kenny Phillips, FS, Miami*
The buzz: The Patriots are looking for another impact defender in their changing secondary.

8. Baltimore (5-11)
The Pick: Calais Campbell, DE, Miami*
The buzz: The Ravens want one of the top two quarterbacks, but may have to draft into other deep areas of this class.

9. Cincinnati (7-9)
The Pick: Vernon Gholston, DE, Ohio State*
The buzz: The Bengals defense gives up too many big plays and needs a force off the edge.

10. New Orleans (7-9)
The Pick: Reggie Smith, CB, Oklahoma*
The buzz: The Saints defense gets smoked weekly, and Smith is one of the elite cornerbacks.

11. Buffalo (7-9)
The Pick: Sedrick Ellis, DT, USC
The buzz: The Bills wants more playmakers, especially on the inside.

12. Denver (7-9)
The Pick: Ryan Clady, OT, Boise St.*
The buzz: The Broncos offensive line must improve for QB Jay Cutler to take the next step as an NFL starter.

13. Carolina (7-9)
The Pick: Keith Rivers, LB, USC
The buzz: The Panthers backer unit would benefit from another strong defender.

14. Chicago (7-9)
The Pick: Andre' Woodson, QB, Kentucky
The buzz: The Bears are hoping to land a future offensive leader in the first round.

15. Detroit (7-9)
The Pick: Derrick Harvey, DE, Florida*
The buzz: The Lions must improve their outside pass rush to be a playoff contender.

16. Arizona (8-8)
The Pick: Antoine Cason, CB, Arizona
The buzz: The Cardinals secondary must improve for this team to make the postseason.

17. Minnesota (8-8)
The Pick: DeSean Jackson, WR, California*
The buzz: The Vikings are looking for playmakers on the outside and in the return game.

18. Houston (8-8)
The Pick: Malcolm Kelly, WR, Oklahoma*
The buzz: The Texans are looking to add a standout playmaker opposite Andre Johnson.

19. Philadelphia (8-8)
The Pick: Dan Connor, LB, Penn St
The buzz: The Eagles want to solidify their front seven, and this local product will be a fan favorite.

20. Tampa Bay (9-7)
The Pick: Aqib Talib, CB, Kansas*
The buzz: The Bucs' are looking to rebuild a playoff-caliber defense, especially at cornerback.

21. Washington (9-7)
The Pick: Lawrence Jackson, DE, Southern Cal
The buzz: The Redskins are hoping to draft an impact pass rusher at this spot.

22. Dallas (from Cleveland (10-6))
The Pick: Mario Manningham, WR, Michigan*
The buzz: The Cowboys have big problems in their receiving corps and at cornerback.

23. Pittsburgh (10-6)
The Pick: Gosder Cherilus, OT, Boston College
The buzz: The Steelers hope to address their offensive line, especially tackle, early in the draft.

24. Tennessee (10-6)
The Pick: James Hardy, WR, Indiana*
The buzz: The Titans need to add playmakers in their passing game.

25. Seattle (10-6)
The Pick: Rashard Mendenhall, RB, Illinois*
The buzz: The Seahawks are looking to the future with Shawn Alexander on the downside of his career.

26. Jacksonville (11-5)
The Pick: Brandon Flowers, CB, Virginia Tech*
The buzz: The Jaguars are looking to improve in pass coverage, and this corner can help.

y - 27. NY Giants (10-6)
The Pick: Mike Jenkins, CB, South Florida
The buzz: G-Men need another top-flight cover man opposite last year's pick, Aaron Ross.

y - 27. San Diego (11-5)
The Pick: Jonathan Stewart, RB, Oregon*
The buzz: The Chargers will lose veteran runner Michael Turner and LaDainian Tomlinson enters his eighth season next fall.

y - 29. Green Bay (13-3)
The Pick: Sam Baker, OT, Southern Cal
The buzz: The Packers will look to address their tackle spot. Both starters will be older than 30 next season.

y - 30. Dallas (13-3)
The Pick: DeJuan Tribble, CB, Boston College
The buzz: The Cowboys secondary has problems in coverage, and they will be address the corner spot with one of their two No. 1 selections.

y - 31. San Francisco (From Indianapolis (13-3))
The Pick: Early Doucet, WR, LSU
The buzz: The 49ers offense needs to upgrade their weak receiving corps if Alex Smith is too ever to realize his pro potential.

y - 32. New England (16-0)
The Pick: no pick
The Buzz: Pick forfeited.

x - Coin flip at NFL Combine in February will decide exact order
y - Final position will be determined by playoffs
* - Underclassman

Frank Coyle is a nationally known NFL scout who publishes Draft Insiders' Digest and http://www.draftinsiders.com. Draft Insiders' Digest is dedicated to year-round coverage of NFL and NCAA Football. Coyle covers the NFL Draft and free agency extensively with a veteran scouting staff that provides insightful and unique information on players and team potential in the coming seasons. Draft Insiders' Digest is an extensive publication that produces more than 20 issues throughout the year, beginning with an Online Pro Prospects Preview and Fantasy Football Rankings in August and a 200-page Draft Yearbook in March.

source: http://collegefootball.rivals.com/conte ... CID=749667
Last edited by stomperrob on Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: DraftInsiders mock NFL draft

Postby LoveBoatCaptain » Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:38 pm

I haven't done enough research yet to comment on the entire draft, but I like the Vikings perspective. While I'd be upset if the Vikings drafted a WR with their pick (they need to add veterans to the offense to compensate for Rice, ADP, and TJax), DeSaun is Ted Ginn Jr. for this year's draft and could be effective. However, I'd be shocked if the Vikings didn't go DE or DB with their pick. I like the Dolphins possible drafting Matt Ryan as well. Everyone is projeecting them to draft Dorsey.
LoveBoatCaptain
Head Coach
Head Coach

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby BlueBandit24 » Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:42 pm

I just can't see where they're coming from with Matt Ryan at #1 overall. Miami invested a 2nd rounder in John Beck last year and I would have to think he is going to get his shot, especially considering Matt Ryan is not the type of QB that merits the #1 overall selection. I'd expect a pick on the defensive side of the ball or the O-Line considering Parcells is in charge and I'd imagine they will do all they can to move down.
BlueBandit24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby LS2throwed » Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:25 pm

I give that mock two thumbs down :-t :-t Alot of those picks dont fit needs or fits...

1. Its possible, but knowing how Parcells loves to draft, he's more then likely going with Chris Long, Glenn Dorsey, or Jake Long...He would either take a vet qb for one year, or let Beck play and prove his keep again, but none of these qbs are even worth a top 5 pick let alone the first pick in the draft, if they did want to go qb in the first they would trade down, but a qb wont be the first pick this year

5. If the Chiefs come up to pick and Jake Long is still there they will take him and not look back...look at how the Browns started with Joe Thomas and got a qb later, and it had instant success, O line is their biggest need and without a top guy LJ is going to break down and neither qb will have any time

9. Cincy wont take Gholston, he isnt the best fit either...he will probably go to a team that plays the 3-4 or a hybrid and be their Ware/Merriman off the edge...besides that CIncy would much rather take Ellis to shure up the middle of the line, or a guy for their secondary

11. Maybe, but I think the Bills will take Malcom Kelly, that makes Lee Evans even better, and Roscoe can play the slot, its not many wrs in this draft who figure to be dominant #1 wrs and Kelly is probably one of the ones who will, could start instantly and its a much bigger need then defensive line, plus im figuring Ellis will be gone by then

22. No sir that first pick will not be wr unless Kelly is still there, cb is the biggest need by far with how bad Reeves is, so they probably take Leodis McKelvin from Troy or the bpa available at corner....other possibility is rb if we want Felix Jones there, but I think Dallas goes cb here and Felix Jones later...manningham isnt bad, he could be the #2 guy with crayton in the slot, but Dallas signs free agent wrs that are developed when the position is pretty full

26. I think the jags playoff game showed them they need a wr with Garrard that has some speed, and I think they go after one here...Jackson would have to be a lock if he is still here, but I think Manningham will be and they probably take him

27. Mike Jenkins is the best corner in this draft, almost every draft board has him rated the highest, so again maybe this mock was made awhile back but he wont last past 15, the bengals and saints will give him a hard look, and he could go as high as #7 to the Pats because Samuel is hitting free agency, but the position is right...they probably take a long look at Antoine Cason

28. San Diego has one first day pick due to their trades for Eric Weddle, they will not spend it on a rb, and Stewart wont last this long either way...The Chargers still plan on using LT as the feature back, and Sproles will stay as a change of pace back, LT and Sproles doesnt make you want to use your only first rd pick on a back...They probably take Reggie Smith if he is there, or Brandon Flowers because they could use safety or db help...But their not going to take a back 1st rd who wont get more then 10 carries a game, 1st rd backs want the ball and have contracts that deserve them getting the ball, you dont draft one and still run LT 20-30 times a day and use Stewart just in case...you can bring in a free agent to do that, Stewart is a back of the future, their not in the same situation as Seattle is

29. Green Bay has the same problem as Dallas this year, horrible #3 corner, both their tackles were their strong point so Im thinking they grab a db because their corners are just as old, tackles can play at a high level much longer, if woodson or harris misses a game they are screwed as it showed in the game vs dallas, Talib will probably be there, I see them taking him

Again this could be due to the fact that the mock was done awhile back, or just difference of opinion...but thats what I didnt like about his, alot of picks I seen no chance of happening
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby deerayfan072 » Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:03 pm

I will reiterate wjat I said in the college forum about there rankings: Matt Ryan #1 :-b :-b :-b :-b
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby killiansjmd » Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:03 am

I think Miami is looking to trade out of that #1 pick slot. Parcells has already said he wouldn't take Dorsey because he's a 4-3 Dt and not a fit for a 3-4 nose tackle.

As a Jets fan I would be happy if Jake Long fell to them at #6. O-line is an area we need to upgrade. If Jake Long doesn't fall to them I think they take Gholston. Jets could use someone like him coming off the edge in their 3-4 defense.
Thanks to Metroid for the sig!
killiansjmd
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby deerayfan072 » Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:11 am

killiansjmd wrote:I think Miami is looking to trade out of that #1 pick slot. Parcells has already said he wouldn't take Dorsey because he's a 4-3 Dt and not a fit for a 3-4 nose tackle.

As a Jets fan I would be happy if Jake Long fell to them at #6. O-line is an area we need to upgrade. If Jake Long doesn't fall to them I think they take Gholston. Jets could use someone like him coming off the edge in their 3-4 defense.

They are looking, but the problem is, does anyone want to move to that pick? If they do, will they give value? No.

With that being said, I think they end up staying there and taking Long from UVA
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby LS2throwed » Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:24 pm

deerayfan072 wrote:
killiansjmd wrote:I think Miami is looking to trade out of that #1 pick slot. Parcells has already said he wouldn't take Dorsey because he's a 4-3 Dt and not a fit for a 3-4 nose tackle.

They are looking, but the problem is, does anyone want to move to that pick? If they do, will they give value? No.

With that being said, I think they end up staying there and taking Long from UVA

If they stay Chris Long will be the pick, great fit in the 3-4, type of player Parcells loves anyway...as far as moving up, keep an eye out for Dallas and Miami to make something happen, either for Miami's 1st rd pick, or their 2nd rd which is really a late 1st since the pats dont pick...Cowboys are shopping Carpenter and Spears, along with other players Parcells brought in that dont get used(Mcquistan, Free, etc), I could see Dallas easily taking that pick, but it wouldnt be for McFadden contrary to what people believe...

It would be for Chris Long, Dallas has no defensive line push...spears sucks and is just there, never creates a push at all so he is gone...Long on the outside with Chris Canty on the other side, and if they make a push for Shaun Rogers to play NT the entire defense will look better....although it looks more likely that Dallas will take their 2nd rd pick for some players, and keep their original two first rounders, which would make that 3, thats alot better then getting the 1st pick to me
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer