Two-Day Football Battle - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe


Return to General Talk

Two-Day Football Battle

Moderator: Football Moderators

Which is best?

Poll ended at Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:22 am

'07 Pats
25
89%
'72 Dolphins
3
11%
 
Total votes : 28

Re: Two-Day Football Battle

Postby Metroid » Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:13 am

Gotta go with the Pats, the game has changed so much in the last 36 years. The Speed of the game, the skill level of the players and overall ability as well as the size of the players and conditioning. Even coaching schemes and playcalling has advanced so much.

I'm so tired of hearing about he 72 Dolphins and that conceded tool Mercury Morris. Now I'm not a Pats fan at all in fact I'm tired of hearing about them and seeing Tom Brady's butt chin all over the place too but I really think if you put these two teams on the same field the Pats would mop the field with the Dolphins.
Image
Metroid
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye
Posts: 22544
Joined: 9 Oct 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Bringing the funk in P-Town!

Re: Two-Day Football Battle

Postby josebach » Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:29 am

Metroid wrote: but I really think if you put these two teams on the same field the Pats would mop the field with the Dolphins.


I don't even think the surviving members of the 72 Dolphins would disagree with that. I think the purpose of the poll is to determine which team was the most dominant team ever in relation to the rest of the teams in their league for any given year.
Image
josebach
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafe Ranker
Posts: 4611
Joined: 27 Aug 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Tallahassee, FL

Re: Two-Day Football Battle

Postby dream_017 » Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:37 am

josebach wrote:
joelamosobadiah wrote:Of the two. I agree that neither one of these are at the top of my list as best ever, but of the two, which is better?


The 2007 Patriots set NFL records for the most points scored and the highest point differential... including the 85 Bears (315-258). If they go on to win the Super Bowl, with as many records as they've set this year, I don't think there's anyway you can say they aren't the best team ever. Add to that the parity of today's NFL and the fact that they never lost and it's a no-brainer. Picking the 85 Bears may be the trendy choice because it implies you know something more about football than the typical Joe Schmoe, but unless you can back up your stance with valid arguments, it's not a very persuasive opinion.

Even if you take away the "padding" that so many people accused Belicheck of doing and the point differential was dead even, the Bears still lost a game.

You make it sound like the Bears don't even belong in the same league :-?

The Bears loss was on the road against a 12-4 team, the Patriots closest loss was on the road to a 5-11 team. The win/loss of the opponents was almost dead even Bears(121-135) to NE (120-136). They each played 6 teams that finished with 10 or more wins, the Bears had 4 of those games on the road to 3 for the Patriots. The Bears are also considered the BEST defensive team of all time, are teh Patriots going to be either the BEST offensive or defensive team of all time? I guess I just don't see how the Bears are just a trendy pick :^

If you want to go with point differential why not use the playoffs where you are comparing similar competition(through 2 games):
Bears 45-0
NE 52-32
8-o 8-o
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 15306
(Past Year: 60)
Joined: 3 Aug 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Ford Field: Section - 132; Row - 19; Seat - 11

Re: Two-Day Football Battle

Postby Jimboozie » Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:40 am

The 1976 Tampa Bay Bucs would mop up the floor with either one of these teams. ;-D

Assuming New England defeats New York, I'd definitely give them the edge over Miami.
Jimboozie Beginner
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 12527
Joined: 6 Oct 2004
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Two-Day Football Battle

Postby josebach » Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:46 am

dream_017 wrote:The Bears loss was on the road against a 12-4 team, the Patriots closest loss was on the road to a 5-11 team. The win/loss of the opponents was almost dead even Bears(121-135) to NE (120-136). They each played 6 teams that finished with 10 or more wins, the Bears had 4 of those games on the road to 3 for the Patriots. The Bears are also considered the BEST defensive team of all time, are teh Patriots going to be either the BEST offensive or defensive team of all time? I guess I just don't see how the Bears are just a trendy pick :^

If you want to go with point differential why not use the playoffs where you are comparing similar competition(through 2 games):
Bears 45-0
NE 52-32
8-o 8-o

The 85 Bears don't hold the record for the fewest points allowed (2000 Ravens), so I'm not sure how you could consider them the best defensive team of all time. The Patriots, on the other hand, do have the NFL record for the most points scored. They are the best offensive team of all time.

I didn't mean to imply that the 85 Bears weren't in the same league. They absolutely are, but I can't see how you can put them ahead of the 07 Pats.

I wouldn't consider myself a Pats fan either, so that's not where I'm coming from.
Last edited by josebach on Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image
josebach
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafe Ranker
Posts: 4611
Joined: 27 Aug 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Tallahassee, FL

Re: Two-Day Football Battle

Postby RiffRaff » Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:47 am

Pats. ;-D

The only thing my Vikes have for the "Best Ever" poll would be: The Best Teams that were total Chokers. :~(

Kicking dirt on Packer Fans. How does it feel to lose to the inferior team in Overtime with a FG in the NFC Championship Game?
Image
The Eagles rule, the Viqueens drool.
E-A-G-L-E-S EAGLES, EAGLES, EAGLES
RiffRaff
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafe RankerPick 3 ChampionCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 3527
Joined: 22 Apr 2007
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Big Old 0 for the Grill-0- Meter. Minnesota Weather Sucks

Re: Two-Day Football Battle

Postby Metroid » Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:50 am

josebach wrote:
Metroid wrote: but I really think if you put these two teams on the same field the Pats would mop the field with the Dolphins.


I don't even think the surviving members of the 72 Dolphins would disagree with that. I think the purpose of the poll is to determine which team was the most dominant team ever in relation to the rest of the teams in their league for any given year.

Well either way the Pats are the better team.
Image
Metroid
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye
Posts: 22544
Joined: 9 Oct 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Bringing the funk in P-Town!

Re: Two-Day Football Battle

Postby josebach » Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:53 am

Metroid wrote:
josebach wrote:
Metroid wrote: but I really think if you put these two teams on the same field the Pats would mop the field with the Dolphins.


I don't even think the surviving members of the 72 Dolphins would disagree with that. I think the purpose of the poll is to determine which team was the most dominant team ever in relation to the rest of the teams in their league for any given year.

Well either way the Pats are the better team.


Nuh uh, you're wrong.


I'm retarded.
Image
josebach
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafe Ranker
Posts: 4611
Joined: 27 Aug 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Tallahassee, FL

Re: Two-Day Football Battle

Postby Metroid » Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:57 am

josebach wrote:Nuh uh, you're wrong.


I'm retarded.

Yeah you're right on both counts. :-b

Actually I seem to remember an interview with Mercury where he said his Dolphins would beat the Pats. 8-o
Image
Metroid
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye
Posts: 22544
Joined: 9 Oct 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Bringing the funk in P-Town!

Re: Two-Day Football Battle

Postby dream_017 » Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:58 am

josebach wrote:
dream_017 wrote:The Bears loss was on the road against a 12-4 team, the Patriots closest loss was on the road to a 5-11 team. The win/loss of the opponents was almost dead even Bears(121-135) to NE (120-136). They each played 6 teams that finished with 10 or more wins, the Bears had 4 of those games on the road to 3 for the Patriots. The Bears are also considered the BEST defensive team of all time, are teh Patriots going to be either the BEST offensive or defensive team of all time? I guess I just don't see how the Bears are just a trendy pick :^

If you want to go with point differential why not use the playoffs where you are comparing similar competition(through 2 games):
Bears 45-0
NE 52-32
8-o 8-o

The 85 Bears don't hold the record for the fewest points allowed (2000 Ravens), so I'm not sure how you could consider them the best defensive team of all time. The Patriots, on the other hand, do have the NFL record for the most points scored. They are the best offensive team of all time.

I didn't mean to imply that the 85 Bears weren't in the same league. They absolutely are, but I can't see how you can put them ahead of the 07 Pats.

I wouldn't consider myself a Pats fan either, so that's not where I'm coming from.

I didn't say who has the record for most points scored or given up. I'm talking about being consider the best. I'm sure that the Bears would win the best defensive team by a wider margin than the Patriot would win(if they would even win) the best offensive team.

The Ravens also played 4 games against the Browns and Bengals ;-7
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 15306
(Past Year: 60)
Joined: 3 Aug 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Ford Field: Section - 132; Row - 19; Seat - 11

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Start & Sit Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2014 NFL season kicks off in 4:03 hours
(and 37 days)
2014 NFL Schedule


  • Fantasy Football
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact