Did LT tarnish his image? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Did LT tarnish his image?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Did LT tarnish his image?

Postby m16a » Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:53 pm

jayday wrote:Stomper's article nailed it. A RB with a knee injury is about as effective as a QB with a shoulder injury.... and was mad at himself for not being able to help his teammates.

Exactly. I think it was LT who said he didn't want to play because he woulda been a detraction to the team. I've played sports long enough to know that when you are in the heat of things, its a major bummer to not be able to do all you can to help your team when it counts big time. LT is still a class player and should in no way be getting knocked like this.
Props to Deluxe for the sig
There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.
- Goethe
m16a

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 48)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Pats4four » Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:05 pm

LT didn't tarnish his image by not playing, in fact he was trying to give his team the best chance to win by not playing when he couldn't be effective and I respect him for the fact he was big enough to admit that Turner/Sproles would do a better job than he could. With regards to his 'whining', I think he does 'whine' a bit but I think that shows how much he doesn't like losing. It shows that he wants to win every time and that losing, for him, is something he doesn't want to be associated with. I don't think it's wrong for someone to want to win but his disappointment in losing could be expressed differently but the drive that LT has for winning is another aspect that makes him who he is.
Pats4four
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby stomperrob » Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:56 pm

Quite simply, LT is not a demonstrative, rah-rah cheerleader type like Emmitt Smith - he's more the introspective, pensive type like Barry Sanders. Why should that tarnish his image? Why should he have to display a certain level of emotion that some fans deem appropriate???
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 177)

Postby mattb47 » Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:05 pm

As far as tough RBs go....LT has got to be near the top of the list considering that he's really never missed time in his career so for him to keep himself out of this game, he had to have been in a lot of pain. It's beyond me how much people can get on a guy who is willing to sacrifice himself playing in the biggest game so far in his career because he thought it gave his team the best chance to win. I personally think Rivers should have done the same, but I think LT should be commended here for being unselfish enough to sit this one out rather than play and most likely be very ineffective.

And seriously, whenever ANY team isn't playing up to the standards they think they should (especially when they're thought to be the most talented team in the NFL), it's not unreasonable for players on that team to comment that their play hasn't been up to their standards and isn't acceptable. I hardly call what LT has done whining....amazing how a class act like LT gets people on his case so much. :-t
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Dawinner127 » Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:35 pm

I still respect him as much as I did before. The guy could have gone into the locker room and been like peace - peace. But nope, he sat there in his uniform.
A win next week and all is forgotten.
Dawinner127
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 75)

Postby LS2throwed » Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:42 pm

Not only has he never missed a game(and lets think about how tough that is for a rb these days), but the Chargers were more then ok at rb for a game of that matter...the difference was Rivers ACL, Turner is a tough guy, Sproles is a home run hitter, if I was the trainer/coach/gm I would of said thats why we kept Turner, put him in

I dont really understand Deion's comments, I love all his interviews and usally most of his views but that was off base and unneeded
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby moochman » Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:00 am

stomperrob wrote:Quite simply, LT is not a demonstrative, rah-rah cheerleader type like Emmitt Smith - he's more the introspective, pensive type like Barry Sanders. Why should that tarnish his image? Why should he have to display a certain level of emotion that some fans deem appropriate???

Up until this season I would have agreed with you. But this year we have seen a frustrated LT (I thought by the teams lack of success, but perhaps becuase his own numbers weren't there) display his emotions by making several comments that were not exactly team oriented but, in light of this game, appear to be born of a personal frustration. Last game we saw him re-injure his knee and not play. I have no problem with that. But then he divorces himself from the game long before it was decided. No cheering or frustration becuase he wasn't in it and so he didn't care. I can't imagine that went over too well in the lockerroom.
Rivers, as big a jerk as he seems to be, tmay have taken over leadership of the Bolts.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:18 am

I think he tarnished his image because some people are idiots. I don't think he tarnished it.

How can you judge whether he can play or not on a bumbed knee. He was obviously pissed that he couldn't participate in the game against a team that pissed him off last year. Plus its the first time he has been injured. Hard to deal with it when you are used to playing week in and week out.
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 87)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Postby Kilroy » Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:33 am

moochman wrote:
stomperrob wrote:Quite simply, LT is not a demonstrative, rah-rah cheerleader type like Emmitt Smith - he's more the introspective, pensive type like Barry Sanders. Why should that tarnish his image? Why should he have to display a certain level of emotion that some fans deem appropriate???

Up until this season I would have agreed with you. But this year we have seen a frustrated LT (I thought by the teams lack of success, but perhaps becuase his own numbers weren't there) display his emotions by making several comments that were not exactly team oriented but, in light of this game, appear to be born of a personal frustration. Last game we saw him re-injure his knee and not play. I have no problem with that. But then he divorces himself from the game long before it was decided. No cheering or frustration becuase he wasn't in it and so he didn't care. I can't imagine that went over too well in the lockerroom.
Rivers, as big a jerk as he seems to be, tmay have taken over leadership of the Bolts.

What I don't get is that Tomlinson doesn't play, sits under that visor on the sidelines (apparently)sulking and the majority seems inclined to give him a pass, while Rivers has surgery on Monday and plays on Sunday and I keep hearing/seeing how he "hurt the team by being out there".

I'm not slamming Tomlinson for not being on the field (like I said, it's the pouting that bothers me), but I also don't see how others can slam Rivers for having a bad game on a torn ACL. That's on Norv if anyone.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby mattb47 » Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:36 am

Kilroy1872 wrote:
moochman wrote:

What I don't get is that Tomlinson doesn't play, sits under that visor on the sidelines (apparently)sulking and the majority seems inclined to give him a pass, while Rivers has surgery on Monday and plays on Sunday and I keep hearing/seeing how he "hurt the team by being out there".

I'm not slamming Tomlinson for not being on the field (like I said, it's the pouting that bothers me), but I also don't see how others can slam Rivers for having a bad game on a torn ACL. That's on Norv if anyone.

Sometimes, yes, that's on the coach to make a call like that but Rivers should have realized that he wasn't going to be able to do all the things necessary to beat a great team like New England and let a guy who's a veteran and healthy take control and at least give them a chance to win. Rivers was just as capable as Norv of taking himself out of the game just like LT did which was the right choice.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk