Did LT tarnish his image? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Did LT tarnish his image?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Did LT tarnish his image?

Postby bagobonez » Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:57 am

I don't blame LT. The Chargers went 14-2 last year and then were one and done in the playoffs. It would be hard not to "whine" about that a little bit. What's he supposed to do? Cartwheels? Then the biggest game of his life comes this year, a shot at revenge against New England, a chance to go to the Super Bowl, and he can't contribute because of something that's beyond his control. I think I'd whine too. You work your butt off all season only to not be able to contribute in the most important game of your life... that's a hard pill to swallow. I commend him for taking himself out of the game. He knew a healthy Michael Turner was more effective than a 60% LT. It's much more commendable, I think, to take yourself out of the game if you are hurting the team instead of having so much pride and ego that you stay on the field at the team's expense, just to be a glory hog. Maybe Rivers could have learned a lesson from that. If Billy Volek had started that game, it may have been a Chargers/Giants Super Bowl, who knows?
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Kilroy » Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:06 am

mattb47 wrote:Sometimes, yes, that's on the coach to make a call like that but Rivers should have realized that he wasn't going to be able to do all the things necessary to beat a great team like New England and let a guy who's a veteran and healthy take control and at least give them a chance to win. Rivers was just as capable as Norv of taking himself out of the game just like LT did which was the right choice.

So Rivers gets slammed but Norv doesn't? The Head Coach of the team couldn't see that Rivers didn't have it out there? What does that say about Turner?

Or maybe, just maybe, Turner thought the Chargers had a better chance with half a Rivers than all a Volek.

Regardless, I'm not for one minute gonna pile on Rivers. It may not have shown on the scoreboard or stat sheet, but that was a stand-up performance, and while they may have lost that game he went a long way towards establishing himself as a leader on that team, and that could pay dividends many times over down the road.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby mattb47 » Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:26 am

Hey....I'm not picky. I blame both Rivers and Turner. Only Rivers knew how much it was going to affect him but everyone could see when he was playing how much it was hurting his game. Yes, Norv shouldve taken him out, but Rivers should have taken himself out too. Personally, from what I've seen of Rivers he seems to be rather arrogant always having to talk back at people and the fact that he wouldn't take himself out of this game despite how poor he was performing doesn't help the way I see him. You can look at it the other way if you want, but I think it takes ALOT more heart to say "I gotta sit this one out because I can't do everything I would need to for us to win" no matter how hard that might be.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:41 pm

mattb47 wrote:Hey....I'm not picky. I blame both Rivers and Turner. Only Rivers knew how much it was going to affect him but everyone could see when he was playing how much it was hurting his game. Yes, Norv shouldve taken him out, but Rivers should have taken himself out too. Personally, from what I've seen of Rivers he seems to be rather arrogant always having to talk back at people and the fact that he wouldn't take himself out of this game despite how poor he was performing doesn't help the way I see him. You can look at it the other way if you want, but I think it takes ALOT more heart to say "I gotta sit this one out because I can't do everything I would need to for us to win" no matter how hard that might be.

I'm not disagreeing with you about what SHOULD have been done, but what I am going to say is that it is important for you to keep in mind that taking themselves out is the absolute last thing most players want to do, and I find it hard to blame Rivers for trying to play through an injury. I do, however, agree that Norv shouldve taken him out, because as a coach, that's the kind of thing he needs to do. I guess my point is that as a whole, much more responsibility lies with the coach in this situation than with the player.

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby LS2throwed » Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:33 am

mattb47 wrote:Hey....I'm not picky. I blame both Rivers and Turner. Only Rivers knew how much it was going to affect him but everyone could see when he was playing how much it was hurting his game. Yes, Norv shouldve taken him out, but Rivers should have taken himself out too. Personally, from what I've seen of Rivers he seems to be rather arrogant always having to talk back at people and the fact that he wouldn't take himself out of this game despite how poor he was performing doesn't help the way I see him. You can look at it the other way if you want, but I think it takes ALOT more heart to say "I gotta sit this one out because I can't do everything I would need to for us to win" no matter how hard that might be.

its never on a player to take himself out of the game, ever...Thats a trainer/coach call, if a coach sees a player isnt playing up to par he has to decide if he likes his guy at whatever level he is at, or the healthy backup, but you cant ask any competitor to just take themselves out on their own, most guys dont play that way...If it was always up to the player alot of guys would put their team/body in danger more often then none, but thats what a coach is there for...He saw how the game was going, and he has to make the call if he felt need, norv knew he had his knee scoped before the game, I give them all credit because they were playing for this year and wanted to make something happen, but even in rivers toughed it out and they won, volek would have to play in the super bowl, so once they knew rivers needed his knee scoped they should of stopped him from going out
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer