This is definitely not my suitcase!!! - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

This is definitely not my suitcase!!!

Moderator: Football Moderators

This is definitely not my suitcase!!!

Postby stomperrob » Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:36 pm

Jeez, people do strange things...

Fort Worth man picks up wrong suitcase from DFW airport, finds cat
07:53 PM CST on Tuesday, January 22, 2008
By ERIN LYNN EIDENSHINK / The Dallas Morning News
eeidenshink@dallasnews.com

There's more than one way to ship a cat. But a kitten named Gracie Mae may find a cat carrier more comfortable next time.

The cat survived an unauthorized suitcase ride from Fort Lauderdale, Fla., to Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport last week. A Fort Worth man discovered the stowaway after he grabbed the wrong suitcase after a flight from Chicago.

"I went to unpack and saw some of the clothes and saw it wasn't my suitcase," Rob Carter said. "I was going to close it, and a kitten jumped out and ran under the bed. I screamed like a little girl."

Meanwhile, Gracie Mae's owners were frantically trying to figure out what happened to their pet.

The cat belongs to Kelly and Seth Levy of Palm Beach Gardens, Fla. Mrs. Levy said she dropped her husband off at the airport Friday afternoon for his trip to Dallas and then ran some errands. Hours later, she realized the cat was gone.

She had her father tear out bathroom tiles and part of a cabinet to check a crawl space. No cat. That evening, she wandered around her neighborhood, calling for Gracie Mae. Still no cat.

Eventually, Mr. Carter was able to coax the cat from under his bed.

"In the morning, I got close enough to see its collar and the phone number on it," he said. "So I called the number and got a hold of the crying wife of the traveler."

Ms. Levy was stunned to realize that Gracie Mae had survived.

"My poor cat, who just had surgery, survives being packed away in the suitcase, going through the Fort Lauderdale baggage process, going through the X-ray, being loaded onto the airplane, flown four hours to Texas and unloaded," Ms. Levy told the Sun-Sentinel of Fort Lauderdale. Then, her cat was "picked up by some strange person, driven to his house and unpacked."

Left unexplained: how a suitcase containing a live cat escaped the eyes of baggage inspectors.

Tim Wagner, spokesman for American Airlines, said it's hard to understand how workers would not notice a cat in a bag. But the Transportation Security Administration, not the airlines, screens luggage, and the agency is focused on explosives, he said.

The story has a happy ending: Mr. Carter met Mr. Levy at the airport and handed over the cat. Mr. Levy paid the $80 to send Gracie Mae home.

Before he knew the cat had a home, Mr. Carter said, he considered keeping her.

"If I couldn't have found a good home, I would have kept it," he said. "We were going to name it Suitcase."

Kelly and Seth Levy with Gracie Mae
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: This is definitely not my suitcase!!!

Postby dream_017 » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:17 am

Nice to see that the TSA would not stop/question luggage with bones in it 8-o
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 73)

Postby SniperShot » Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:14 am

dream_017 wrote:Nice to see that the TSA would not stop/question luggage with bones in it 8-o
Joel must have been sleeping on the job. :-D
SniperShot
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 14)

Postby Tiki » Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:02 pm

SniperShot wrote:
dream_017 wrote:Nice to see that the TSA would not stop/question luggage with bones in it 8-o
Joel must have been sleeping on the job. :-D

Damn him! The Terrorists are winning!!! :-o
Keep it lit.
Tiki
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby joelamosobadiah » Wed Jan 23, 2008 5:16 pm

I am not allowed to talk about our procedures, but I can say that baggage screening is NOT designed to catch animals in luggage. :-b In fact its SO not designed to catch it that this doesn't surprise me at all. :-b

"My poor cat, who just had surgery, survives being packed away in the suitcase...

I find that funny, because wouldn't that part be HER fault? :-? :-D

Anyway, it took longer than I thought for a TSA crackback to be made. B-)
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby beanoX3 » Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:09 pm

joelamosobadiah wrote:I find that funny, because wouldn't that part be HER fault? :-? :-D

I caught that too. Even more damning for her after she mentions her cat just had surgery. :-t
The cake is a lie.
beanoX3
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Guru13 » Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:09 pm

I screamed like a little girl.

nice.

...that being said I probably would've screamed like a little girl too. :-b
Guru13
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Tavish » Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:43 am

joelamosobadiah wrote:I am not allowed to talk about our procedures, but I can say that baggage screening is NOT designed to catch animals in luggage. :-b In fact its SO not designed to catch it that this doesn't surprise me at all. :-b

Don't let the haters get you down Joel. As long as you keep protecting us from old ladies with 4oz of shampoo you have my support!
---..---
Tavish
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby dream_017 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:29 am

Tavish wrote:
joelamosobadiah wrote:I am not allowed to talk about our procedures, but I can say that baggage screening is NOT designed to catch animals in luggage. :-b In fact its SO not designed to catch it that this doesn't surprise me at all. :-b

Don't let the haters get you down Joel. As long as you keep protecting us from old ladies with 4oz of shampoo you have my support!

Exactly, make sure you check my shoes, but if I have bones(even if they are moving) in my luggage don't worry about it O:-)
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 73)

Postby Lofunzo » Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:39 pm

Who puts their cat in a suitcase??
"There is no bad beer. Some are better than others."
Lofunzo
Head Coach
Head Coach

Baseball ModHockey Mod
Home Cafe: Baseball

Next

Return to General Talk