Return to Detroit Lions

Kiper says the Lions pick...

Moderator: Football Moderators

Kiper says the Lions pick...

Postby stomperrob » Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:13 am

Wednesday, January 23, 2008
Kiper has Lions drafting cornerback from Troy
The Detroit News

The Lions will take cornerback Leodis McKelvin of Troy with the 15th pick in the NFL draft, Mel Kiper Jr. of ESPN is projecting.

McKelvin (5-foot-11, 190 pounds) had 60 tackles this season -- third on the team -- six tackles for loss and two interceptions. He is playing in the Senior Bowl on Saturday at Mobile, Ala.

Kiper projects that LSU defensive tackle Glenn Dorsey will go No. 1 overall to the Miami Dolphins. Other Kiper projections:

Boston College QB Matt Ryan No. 3 to Atlanta.

Arkansas RB Darren McFadden No. 4 to Oakland.

Michigan offensive tackle Jake Long No. 5 to Kansas City.

Michigan receiver Mario Manningham No. 22 to Dallas.

Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Kiper says the Lions pick...

Postby moochman » Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:46 am

McKelvin, who has been projected as a potential second-round draft choice by some NFL scouting Web sites, received rave reviews after a strong workout Tuesday. It marked an improvement over Monday afternoon, when McKelvin dropped a couple of punts by Georgia Tech's Durant Brooks .

From the Ledger-Enquirer's David Ching. http://www.ledger-enquirer.com/sports/story/228428.html

Seems like an ideal Lions pick. A guy who is projected to go in the second round, but we can show how smart we are by taking him in the middle of the first round. And he has suspect hands. (I've also heard somewhere that he is a small 5-11).
Seriously, I know next to nothing about this seasons draft prospects, no time, but I can't trust that the Lions would luck into a player of any worth. Please just one time let me be wrong.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

Postby dream_017 » Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:44 am

Again, how people can not see that this team/organization needs line help is beyond me. Offensive and Defensive linemen are all this team should be drafting. Actually with the way they have drafted in the past, they should be trading all draft picks for draft picks in 2015 or later. They should only work the free agent market, not that they have done any better in that but at least you can somewhat have a better understanding of how a player translates to the NFL, if they have actually played in the NFL. By the time 2015 rolls around, Willie shoul dbe pushing up daisys and Millen will be long gone and we can have our football team back with tons of picks to draft and trade to make a competitive team. So, in less than 10 years we should have our football team back ;-7
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 69)

Postby moochman » Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:38 am

It's no so much that Kiper doesn't see a need for linemen as it is that all the linemen slotted for at area in the draft were already mocked up. Let's face it-the only area that isn't substandard is the WR and kicking corps. Otherwise the Lions are woefully undermanned. I would just like to see them draft more than one player in the 2nd-6th round who actually plays. Is that so much to ask? That we can draft a player who is skilled enough to play for a team that is so thin?

Heck the room full of monkeys has just typed up a Lions Playbook sooner than Millen could figure out how to draft. It's reads simply:

FIRE MILLEN!

moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby stomperrob » Sun Jan 27, 2008 12:48 am

Some other views...

JON MACHOTA'S BLOG: Lions draft options in the first round
January 26, 2008
By JON MACHOTA
FREE PRESS SPECIAL WRITER

Only three months remain until the first pick is selected in the 2008 NFL Draft. The Lions have the 15th selection and there are many areas of need.

There is no doubt the offensive line could use a talented first-rounder to play one of the tackle positions, but cornerback is the most glaring. Too many big plays were given up because the Lions lack talent in the secondary. Even though the Tampa Two defense does not require a shut down style cornerback, the Lions need to address the position soon.

Sure, it would be nice to draft Michigan offensive tackle Jake Long, but he will not be available at No. 15. Of the players that should still be on the board when the Lions select, cornerbacks Aqib Talib of Kansas and Mike Jenkins of South Florida have the skills that the Lions need most. Both can be dominating corners for years to come in the NFL, they have good size (both at least six feet), blazing speed and are the best available at the position.

Talib had 11 interceptions in the past two seasons and also caught four touchdowns (on eight receptions) at wide receiver as a junior. And we all know how much the Lions value receivers in the first round. He also recorded 66 tackles and a Big 12 leading 17 passes defended. The consensus All-American's most noteable highlight came when he picked off a pass and returned it for a 60-yard score in this years Orange Bowl.

Jenkins finished with 12 pass breakups, 41 tackles and three interceptions as a senior despite teams trying to avoid him. He led South Florida in pass breakups as a junior with 15 and was named one of the nations top corners by The Sporting News. He suffered an ankle injury as a freshman but has been healthy ever since. The only negative on Jenkins is that he had an off-the-field issue when he and a teammate were arrested on charges of disorderly conduct and obstructing or opposing an officer earlier in the season. This might be a character issue that causes Jenkins to slip. His play on film should keep him selected middle to late first round though.

Some experts agree with me and many do not. Here is a look at who the experts are projecting will be available and why the Lions should select them with their first pick:

Todd McShay of Scouts Inc.

Updated Jan. 23

Aqib Talib, CB, Kansas (6-1, 193).

McShay says: The Lions' secondary is undermanned and would welcome the services of Talib; he is a versatile, fluid athlete with excellent size and ball skills. His elite athleticism was on display when returned an interception 100 yards for a touchdown this season, and Talib also saw some snaps on offense.

Mel Kiper of ESPN

Updated Jan. 22

Leodis McKelvin, CB, Troy (5-10, 185).

Kiper says: Not only a very good cover man with superior recovery ability (runs in the 4.38 range) and the aggressiveness to get the job done in run support, McKelvin has made a name for himself as the top return man in the entire nation. He's also stood out this season in games against the likes of Arkansas, Florida, Oklahoma State and Georgia. With his speed and versatility, McKelvin will bring a great deal of value to a football team.

Don Banks of Sports Illustrated (si.com)

Updated Jan. 24

Jeff Otah, OT, Pittsburgh (6-6, 339).

Banks says: The Lions could be targeting one of the highest-rated cornerbacks with this pick, but their need at offensive tackle might fit better with the available value at No. 15. Otah has size and impressive athleticism for a big man. He'd upgrade the right tackle slot (George Foster) or allow the Lions to consider moving LT Jeff Backus to guard.

Scott Wright of nfldraftcountdown.com

Updated Jan. 18

Jeff Otah, OT, Pittsburgh (6-6, 339).

Wright says: I will refrain from making that same old Matt Millen-wide receiver crack….For all of the Lions problems, and there have been plenty, perhaps the biggest has been the offensive line. The George Foster experiment was a major flop so Detroit needs to add a top right tackle and Jeff Otah is an intriguing possibility. A JUCO transfer who didn’t start playing football until his senior year of high school, Otah is still very raw but he is coming off of a fantastic senior campaign and has excellent size and athleticism. As good as he already is Otah still has a ton of upside and potential.

DraftKing.com

Updated Jan. 20

Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, CB, Tennessee State (6-2, 170).

Draft King says: Don't look now, but Rodgers-Cromartie is making some very strong impressions. A starter since midway through his freshman year, the 6'2" Rodgers-Cromartie is a speedy (sub 4.4 40), tall, and strong competitor who might Lions fans saying "Who?" on draft day and then end up earning their respect with his solid play. What does DRC offer? Along with being a solid #1 CB, he also is a special teams machine. He blocked four kicks in 2007 for TSU, took the two interceptions he made during the season back for TDs, and will be able to step in as a kick returner right away.

Frank Croyle of draftinsiders.com

Updated Jan. 18

Derrick Harvey, DE, Florida (6-4, 260).

Croyle says: The Lions must improve their outside pass rush to be a playoff contender.

NFLDraftDog.com

Updated Jan. 23

Mike Jenkins, CB, South Florida (6-0, 197).

NFL Draft Dog says: The Lions could use a shut down corner and Jenkins could be that man. Good ball skills and he comes down with a lot of interceptions.

Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Postby Atog » Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:57 pm

I'd be fine with the Lions drafting McKelvin as long as we could call him "King Leodis" and he kicked people into bottomless pits.
Atog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)

Postby moochman » Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:29 am

Atog wrote:I'd be fine with the Lions drafting McKelvin as long as we could call him "King Leodis" and he kicked people into bottomless pits.

If he were a Lion he would then have to kick people out of the bottomless pit. :-b

I would like to see the Leos draft the most miserable human being in the draft regardless of position. Having his career ruined would serve him right.

moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby scrumtalecent » Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:03 am

...so am I the only one who thinks they'll go with Limas Sweed out of Texas? :-B
Thank you soty!
scrumtalecent
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Return to Detroit Lions