Official Oregon Ducks Thread - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to College Football

Official Oregon Ducks Thread

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Official Oregon Ducks Thread

Postby Metroid » Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:38 am

Man, classic Civil War. Easily the best one I've seen in my lifetime, mostly because of what was on the line, but also because of the level of play both teams. They both left it all out there. I was happy that Oregon was able to shut Quiz down, that was huge, but I was getting very nervous at our inability to put any pressure on Canfield. The guy played great and out-shined Masoli in the passing game. He completed nearly 67% of his passes, had over 300 yards, and did not throw a pick(although there were a couple that were there for the taking.)

LaMichael was fantastic, and those two 4th down conversions at the end were key, we had to have those. There was over 6 minutes left in the game and Oregon was able to bleed it out. There also was a 3rd and 16 with 2 minutes left that was sketchy, LaMichael was able to tear off a 14 yard run though to make it a very manageable 4th and 2. And that earlier 4th down highlight run by Masoli , literally running over a defender in the process, was awesome. There were a lot of big runs in the game but none bigger than that one.

Also it was nice to see Blount get some game time, I really thought Kelly should have given him some time in the previous 2 games but I'm glad he got to get in for the Civil War. Not only did he get in but he had an impact, good for him.

The Beavers played a fantastic game, I know I like to talk smack a lot, but it's more of a love/hate thing. I have nothing but the utmost respect for OSU. They easily played well enough to win that game. I'm just happy there weren't any controversial calls, and that the Ducks WON the game.

It's too bad Tim Clark did in fact break his leg and will miss out on the Beavers bowl game. :-/
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Metroid » Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:54 am

Free Bagel wrote:That was an amazing game to watch. I wonder how met feels about going for it on 4th down to ice the game now. It's good to see these coaches playing to win.

Oh come on man...seriously? That's not even close to the same thing. I don't want to get into this again, but the situations are not even comparable. Oregon had the ball on OSU's 33, and 19 yard line when they went for it. Had they not converted the Beavers would have had to drive either 77 yards with under 3:30, or 81 yards in 1:22. New England went for it on their own 28 yard line, the Colts only had to drive 28 yards with nearly 2 minutes left. There's a huge difference there.

And for the record, I've never said I don't think coaches shouldn't play to win, but there's a difference between being aggressive and overaggressive.
Metroid

Postby knapplc » Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:55 am

What a great game. This was probably the best Civil War I've seen in... years. Congratulations to the Ducks on the big win. Met, where's your classic green Ducks Sig/Av? Should be wearing that for the bowl game, man!

Kudos to Kelly for getting Blount in the game. I very much agreed that he should be suspended after the punch, but I disagreed with sitting him for the rest of the year. A punch in the heat of the moment gets you a year's suspension, while a deliberate eye gouge earns one game? Not fair at all, man. Blount looked very rusty, but that TD had to go a long way toward healing his wounds. Here's hoping he makes the best of the rest of his career. He's got a little guy to look out for, after all.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Free Bagel » Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:56 pm

Metroid wrote:
Free Bagel wrote:That was an amazing game to watch. I wonder how met feels about going for it on 4th down to ice the game now. It's good to see these coaches playing to win.

Oh come on man...seriously? That's not even close to the same thing. I don't want to get into this again, but the situations are not even comparable. Oregon had the ball on OSU's 33, and 19 yard line when they went for it. Had they not converted the Beavers would have had to drive either 77 yards with under 3:30, or 81 yards in 1:22. New England went for it on their own 28 yard line, the Colts only had to drive 28 yards with nearly 2 minutes left. There's a huge difference there.

And for the record, I've never said I don't think coaches shouldn't play to win, but there's a difference between being aggressive and overaggressive.

I was just yanking your chain man, I can't put the tongue smiley face on there when I'm posting from my phone.

In all seriousness though, those were calls that no one would have made 5 years ago. And who knows, maybe if they had gotten stopped and lost on an ensuing OSU TD rather than tied because they bipassed the FG he'd be getting lambasted for it even now, but at least it looks like a step in the right direction.

Anyway, we can leave it at that because I don't want to sidetrack people from talking about a game that definitely deserves to be talked about. You could tell that both of those teams really, really wanted to win that game and they both played like it.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby Metroid » Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:04 pm

A smilie sometimes makes all the difference. :-B

You are so right though, those were calls that no one would have made 5 years ago.

I was very impressed at Masoli being able to remain calm and cool after the INT. With so much emotion and adrenaline flowing going into the game he easily could have gotten rattled. Turning the ball over on the opening possession which turned into a TD was not a good start for the Ducks. But he remained cool as the other side of the pillow. B-)
Metroid

Postby Nfl Fan » Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:10 pm

That was sooo fun! :-D

I gotta give it up to the Beavs and their faithful. Those guys played their hearts out. When they took the lead (and momentum) at the half and followed with an opening drive TD to open the 3rd... I was thinking we were in BIG trouble. I watched the visitors section celebrate two years ago and was in no mood to see it again!

Not to mention, I had a couple bets on the game. If we lost, I'd have had to fly Beaver flags off my truck for 2 weeks and sport Beaver plate frames until the NFL draft.

Best Civil War game EVER in the state. Big national stage and Blount getting his after being out 10 games was VERY nice to see. I hope to see a good dose of him in Pasadena.

Interesting.. just thought of this:

OSU - Oklahoma State - last year's bowl.
OSU - Oregon State - Civil Rose for roses.
OSU - Ohio State - Story yet to be written.

Last note.. I took my 19 year old daughter. She loves the Ducks and screamed her lungs out next to me. We had a great time and took a ton of pictures that I can't wait for her to download. She is a remarkable young lady and I love to do things just with her now and then.

GO DUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :-b :-b :-b
Yo, Met... thanks for the sig! GO DUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This NEVER gets old and neither does THIS!!
Nfl Fan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Nfl Fan » Sat Dec 05, 2009 2:52 pm

Nfl Fan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Nfl Fan » Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:37 pm

A couple pics with my daughter at the game..

Nfl Fan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Sandrock » Sun Dec 06, 2009 3:34 am

You are way older than I had imagined, your daughter looks to be around my age. Some nice pics however, but definitely needs more roses.
Sandrock
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Nfl Fan » Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:27 am

Sandrock wrote:You are way older than I had imagined, your daughter looks to be around my age. Some nice pics however, but definitely needs more roses.

LOL.. I'm way older than I imagine too! :-b

Nfl Fan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

PreviousNext

Return to College Football