Official Oregon Ducks Thread - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe


Return to College Football

Official Oregon Ducks Thread

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Official Oregon Ducks Thread

Postby AquaMan2342 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:07 pm

Metroid wrote:
AquaMan2342 wrote:It's not the fact that he made mistakes, it's the level of those mistakes. That's a very Michigan State-like stance you are taking. :-b

Short of murder or rape, I can't think of any mistakes that a person can't redeem themselves from. Speaking of rape, did they ever release the Michigan football players name who was arrested for sexual assault in November?


It wasn't even about giving him a chance to redeem himself. It was about taking a calculated risk on a kid who was a perpetual troublemaker because he had incredible abilities on the football field. Bringing up that case at U of M is irrelevant and misdirected (FWIW, the player's name was never released and the charges were dropped with barely an investigation even taking place).

I'm not trying to play a holier than thou type card....almost every school in the country takes these same types of chances....that's why the Demar Dorsey commitment got so much attention in Ann Arbor...because he was a troublemaker in high school who was perceived as a huge risk to a primarily pristine image. It's probably the reason he won't play there even if he qualifies academically. The one thing Michigan (and plenty of other schools) has never done is foster an atmosphere where players feel comfortable breaking the rules. They've had plenty of players get in trouble but it's usually a one and done type deal.
Image
AquaMan2342
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

User avatar

Posts: 267
Joined: 19 Sep 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Lions

Re: Official Oregon Ducks Thread

Postby Metroid » Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:43 pm

That's your first post in this thread where you didn't come across as "holier than thou." :-b

I have to ask though, what do you mean by "perpetual troublemaker?" What you're saying that Oregon took a calculated risk by bringing Masoli in because he was a perpetual trouble maker right? What constitutes perpetual in your book? His one arrest while he was a juvenile? I'm not trying to sugar coat it, he was arrested, along with several others, for robbery and was expelled from school. However his juvenile record is sealed, so we don't know his level of involvement. Anyway, I don't see how his one arrest constitutes "perpetual." He moved to Hawaii, graduated high school, attended City College of San Francisco, and had zero incidents in that time span. Obviously Oregon thought his indiscretions were behind him and gave him an opportunity. I just do not see what you're seeing. I think what you're doing is letting the trouble he got into while at Oregon cloud your perception. If you want to argue that he should have been booted from the team after his admitted involvement in the frat house burglary, that's fine, but it's not like he had an arms length rap sheet that Oregon ignored to bring him in. They made a mistake taking a chance on him, but don't make it out like "they should have known better."
Image
Metroid
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye
Posts: 22544
Joined: 9 Oct 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Bringing the funk in P-Town!

Re: Official Oregon Ducks Thread

Postby AquaMan2342 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:13 pm

Metroid wrote:That's your first post in this thread where you didn't come across as "holier than thou." :-b

I have to ask though, what do you mean by "perpetual troublemaker?" What you're saying that Oregon took a calculated risk by bringing Masoli in because he was a perpetual trouble maker right? What constitutes perpetual in your book? His one arrest while he was a juvenile? I'm not trying to sugar coat it, he was arrested, along with several others, for robbery and was expelled from school. However his juvenile record is sealed, so we don't know his level of involvement. Anyway, I don't see how his one arrest constitutes "perpetual." He moved to Hawaii, graduated high school, attended City College of San Francisco, and had zero incidents in that time span. Obviously Oregon thought his indiscretions were behind him and gave him an opportunity. I just do not see what you're seeing. I think what you're doing is letting the trouble he got into while at Oregon cloud your perception. If you want to argue that he should have been booted from the team after his admitted involvement in the frat house burglary, that's fine, but it's not like he had an arms length rap sheet that Oregon ignored to bring him in. They made a mistake taking a chance on him, but don't make it out like "they should have known better."


In Michigan's defense, they have always run one of the most clean programs in the country so it's hard for me to take a stance that doesn't come off as a bit arrogant, even if that's not the intent. They've been my team since I was like -4....I don't know any other way really.

I'm making an assumption here but I don't think it's a really big one. Kids don't just wake up one day and decide to commit armed robbery. Committing crimes is like drugs....you keep pushing the limit until it no longer feels like you're pushing any limits.....so you get tired and move onto the next level. Basically I am assuming he had gotten into more trouble than just the armed robbery charge which is super serious in itself. I'm also guessing he would have been more hotly recruited coming out of JC if teams felt he wasn't a potential troublemaker because his talent on the field absolutely can't be denied. That last point is probably a bigger assumption and I'm not fully educated on his recruitment anyways, just guessing that UO is one of the only schools that gave him a chance.
Image
AquaMan2342
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

User avatar

Posts: 267
Joined: 19 Sep 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Lions

Re: Official Oregon Ducks Thread

Postby Metroid » Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:53 pm

You're probably just still bitter about these numbers 39-7. :-B

That's a WHOLE lot a assuming, and you know what they say when you assume. ;-)

No where, in any report, have I read he was arrested for armed robbery. Everything I've seen states that he along with other classmates "muscled people for money" and used "intimidation." That certainly doesn't make it okay but there's a big difference between that and "armed robbery", which involves a weapon. You're assuming he should have been more hotly recruited out of JC? Besides Oregon he was made offers by Arizona, Arkansas, and Auburn. Not a laundry list, but it's not like Oregon was the only school willing to give him a shot. Also he great great numbers his freshman year in JC, but it's not like he blew minds. Oregon did not bring him in to run the show, he started 2008 as a potential redshirt and 5th on the depth chart. The only reason he ended up the starter was because every QB in front of him went down to injury. Even coming into last year is wasn't a certainty that he would be the starter.

Now I'm sure there were some teams that saw his arrest in high school and looked past him. However, I would say the main reason he wasn't more highly touted is because he was a bit on the short side, didn't have a true QB mindset, and was a 3 star JC recruit. You can cross every school off the list who uses a pro style offense and teams looking for a pocket passer. For the others, he didn't exactly have the wow factor teams are looking for in a QB.

Regardless, I'm done trying to defend the Universities decision to give Masoli a chance. If I could go back in time, even after knowing what I know now, I'm still okay with Oregon (or any school) giving him a chance. Oregon's mistake, and where I feel they were wrong, was not suspending him once he was arrested and pled out in the frat house burglary. He should have been dismissed then. But I have no hard feelings with Oregon for giving him an opportunity, I do hold hard feelings toward Masoli though for taking a golden opportunity and throwing it in the gutter.
Image
Metroid
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye
Posts: 22544
Joined: 9 Oct 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Bringing the funk in P-Town!

Re: Official Oregon Ducks Thread

Postby Nfl Fan » Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:45 pm

I'm not at all opposed to giving a guy a second chance. God knows we all could use one now and again. It's just a shame Masoli didn't take his second and third chances too seriously. He was quite possibly on the cusp of greatness. Whether or not he will have ever had an NFL career will not be known, but he certainly did blow any opportunity. Too bad.
Image
Yo, Met... thanks for the sig! GO DUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This NEVER gets old and neither does THIS!!
Nfl Fan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Mock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 6275
(Past Year: 2)
Joined: 18 May 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: AUTZEN!!!!!!

Re: Official Oregon Ducks Thread

Postby Metroid » Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:20 pm

Nfl Fan wrote:I'm not at all opposed to giving a guy a second chance. God knows we all could use one now and again. It's just a shame Masoli didn't take his second and third chances too seriously. He was quite possibly on the cusp of greatness. Whether or not he will have ever had an NFL career will not be known, but he certainly did blow any opportunity. Too bad.

It really is. Just imagine the amount of money Phil Knight would have flooded into his Heisman campaign. :-D
Image
Metroid
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye
Posts: 22544
Joined: 9 Oct 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Bringing the funk in P-Town!

Re: Official Oregon Ducks Thread

Postby Nfl Fan » Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:06 pm

Metroid wrote:
Nfl Fan wrote:I'm not at all opposed to giving a guy a second chance. God knows we all could use one now and again. It's just a shame Masoli didn't take his second and third chances too seriously. He was quite possibly on the cusp of greatness. Whether or not he will have ever had an NFL career will not be known, but he certainly did blow any opportunity. Too bad.

It really is. Just imagine the amount of money Phil Knight would have flooded into his Heisman campaign. :-D


LOL... absolutely. Remember Joey Heisman??? :-b

Image
Image
Yo, Met... thanks for the sig! GO DUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This NEVER gets old and neither does THIS!!
Nfl Fan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Mock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 6275
(Past Year: 2)
Joined: 18 May 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: AUTZEN!!!!!!

Re: Official Oregon Ducks Thread

Postby AquaMan2342 » Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:06 pm

Metroid wrote:You're probably just still bitter about these numbers 39-7. :-B


That was one of the roughest games I've been through as a fan. Luckily I went to a wedding that day and didn't have to watch it. Only game that's worse that I can think of was the McNabb-led beatdown from Syracuse back in the 90s.
Image
AquaMan2342
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

User avatar

Posts: 267
Joined: 19 Sep 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Lions

Re: Official Oregon Ducks Thread

Postby Metroid » Sat Jun 19, 2010 4:35 pm

AquaMan2342 wrote:
Metroid wrote:You're probably just still bitter about these numbers 39-7. :-B


That was one of the roughest games I've been through as a fan. Luckily I went to a wedding that day and didn't have to watch it. Only game that's worse that I can think of was the McNabb-led beatdown from Syracuse back in the 90s.

The name "Appalachian State" probably doesn't give you any warm feelings inside either.
Image
Metroid
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye
Posts: 22544
Joined: 9 Oct 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Bringing the funk in P-Town!

Re: Official Oregon Ducks Thread

Postby Nfl Fan » Sat Jun 19, 2010 5:08 pm

Metroid wrote:
AquaMan2342 wrote:
Metroid wrote:You're probably just still bitter about these numbers 39-7. :-B


That was one of the roughest games I've been through as a fan. Luckily I went to a wedding that day and didn't have to watch it. Only game that's worse that I can think of was the McNabb-led beatdown from Syracuse back in the 90s.

The name "Appalachian State" probably doesn't give you any warm feelings inside either.


Image

:-b
Image
Yo, Met... thanks for the sig! GO DUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This NEVER gets old and neither does THIS!!
Nfl Fan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Mock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 6275
(Past Year: 2)
Joined: 18 May 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: AUTZEN!!!!!!

PreviousNext

Return to College Football

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Forums Articles & Tips Start & Sit Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2014 NFL season kicks off in 12:10 hours
(and 37 days)
2014 NFL Schedule


  • Fantasy Football
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact