Official Oregon Ducks Thread - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to College Football

Official Oregon Ducks Thread

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Official Oregon Ducks Thread

Postby Metroid » Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:38 pm

AquaMan2342 wrote:Damn that second video is pretty weak Met....

Tell me about it. I know the boos are loud in the video but it was crazy how loud they were in the stadium when he jogged back on the field. I was kitty corner to the end zone when this happened. In fact...I know it's hard to tell, but this is me! :-B

I'm the white spec. :-b
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Sandrock » Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:05 pm

Lunch is almost over, so gotta be quick. It is classless for a coach that makes millions of dollars a year to act that way during an interview. If Mike Riley, Lane Kiffin, Urban Meyer or Bob Stoops said the same things it would still be classless. He is paid millions of dollars to act like a professional, so it's not unreasonable to expect him to conduct himself as one. He's lucky he only got a reprimand from the commissioner and not a huge fine.
Sandrock
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Metroid » Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:26 pm

Sandrock wrote:Lunch is almost over, so gotta be quick. It is classless for a coach that makes millions of dollars a year to act that way during an interview. If Mike Riley, Lane Kiffin, Urban Meyer or Bob Stoops said the same things it would still be classless. He is paid millions of dollars to act like a professional, so it's not unreasonable to expect him to conduct himself as one. He's lucky he only got a reprimand from the commissioner and not a huge fine.

Are you serious? A huge fine? If any of those coaches you mentioned had made the same remark I'd still say it wasn't classless. You've got some pretty high standards, what he said was so minor it isn't really even worth discussing. I mean really...

"I just want to know why they won't come talk to us, I think [Stanford coach] Jim [Harbaugh] and him [the referee] got friends. I don't know, I just want some explanation on some things."

Like I said, he shouldn't have said it, but in the grand scheme of things this is not a big deal and certainly doesn't make Kelly classless. Gimmie a break. And really, they pay Kelly millions of dollars to win football games. What Harbaugh was doing was against the rules and blatant cheating, and the refs were turning a blind eye (at least initially), by doing so they make it difficult for Kelly to do what the University pays him to do...win football games. Also when he tried to ask the officials for an explanation about an illegal substitution penalty the refs completely ignored him. Again, making it difficult to do his job. Actually, I'm glad he said something, I commend him for doing so. And I'd hope that Mike Riley, Lane Kiffin, Urban Meyer, Bob Stoops or any other coach would do the same thing if opponents were continuously doing what teams like ASU and Stanford were doing and the refs were doing little about it. I really don't get why people think we have to treat the officials with kids gloves.
Metroid

Postby Sandrock » Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:11 pm

Let's be clear here, one classless act from Kelly does not make him a classless individual, and I certainly am not implying in any way that he has no class. I thought he handled "the punch" and all the other troubles this year like a professional. However, everyone slips off the wagon at one time or another and Kelly certainly did here. My standards are nowhere near too high; yours are certainly far too low if you expect anything but the best from your coach.

As for the intentional injury thing, every Duck fan seems to be in love with this topic . The game was halted 4 times for Stanford injuries, 2 times on defense, 1 on special teams and 1 on offense. I don't know this for sure, but it's what was posted on another board and everyone seemed to agree with it. So, going off this information, 2 stoppages for injuries on defense does not seem excessive. I watched the video you posted and you can't tell me you know for sure that the guy wasn't cramping up. I can't count how many times I've gone running, got a cramp, stopped for a few minutes and then continued on. Sure it hurts, but if I were playing college football it sure wouldn't stop me from coming back into the game. I will admit I didn't watch the second half of the Oregon/ASU game because it was really boring. But I did hear from a Duck friend of mine that Burfict was "injured" 3 or 4 times and it got to the point of ridiculous. He also believes a lot of Duck fans are overreacting to the Stanford incident and I'm inclined to agree with him. Harbaugh doesn't seem like the kind of coach that would stoop to faking injuries. He wants to come out and hit you in the mouth, even if he is losing. You're going to believe what you want to believe, but it seems like you're letting your fandom get in the way on this issue.
Sandrock
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Metroid » Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:00 pm

I still don't consider it a "classless" act. I think it's you who are overreacting and making a big deal out of one slight comment made during the course of a heated game. I've already, several times, said Kelly shouldn't have said it but it really isn't that big a deal. And don't imply that because I don't agree with you that what Kelly said was "classless" that I somehow don't expect anything but the best from my coach. That's just plain silly. Kelly has shown himself to be a class act multiple times, the way he handled "the punch", Masoli, and sending that goofy fan his money back for his season tickets after Oregon lost to Boise...out of his own pocket.

I can tell you that yes that dude was not cramping. You watched the video, you know he wasn't. Like I said, I was at the game, literally 30 yards from where this happened. After the previous play that particular player was walking back and forth behind the line and kept looking toward the bench. The D looked a little tired and a lot confused. Once DT settled under center that dude just sat down and began grabbing his ankle. What the hell kind of cramp do you get in your ankle? I ran cross country in high school and am fairly active now, I know about cramps too. It was obvious to the 50K+ in the stadium he wasn't cramping and it was even more obvious when he came jogging out on the next play without getting any, ANY, attention on the sidelines. He limped all the way to the sidelines and then turned around and stood there waiting for the next play to end so he could come back out. I'm not letting my "fandom" get in the way of anything, I saw what I saw with my own eyes and that guy was not cramping. I'd be saying the same thing if it happened to your Beavers, or Texas, or Michigan, or whoever. You go ahead and believe your friend if you want, I could care less. I'll believe what I saw.

I've always thought VERY highly of Harbaugh, still do. But that was a weak play, hell for all we know, they couldn't get a defensive play in and the player took it upon himself to have a seat. Either way, that kid was not injured, hurt, or cramping.

EDIT: Oh and I'll trade you Quizz for LaMike straight up. :-B
Metroid

Postby Nfl Fan » Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:57 pm

I was pretty impressed by the intelligence of the Oregon fan on the ability to recognize the fake injury as opposed to when Chris Owusu went down. As many times as I've been to Autzen, I don't remember a standing 'O' like what this young man got when he was finally able to walk off the field.
Yo, Met... thanks for the sig! GO DUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This NEVER gets old and neither does THIS!!
Nfl Fan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:52 pm

After last week's Pats game, I'd like to thank you guys for Patrick Chung.

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Metroid » Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:20 am

A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:After last week's Pats game, I'd like to thank you guys for Patrick Chung.

You're very welcome, dude is a stud. ;-D
Metroid

Postby Nfl Fan » Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:14 am

" Everybody 'Pat Chung' tonight... "

For what it's worth, we enjoyed it too!! ;-)
Yo, Met... thanks for the sig! GO DUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This NEVER gets old and neither does THIS!!
Nfl Fan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Metroid » Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:24 pm

Cannot see the Ducks slipping up here, they may have a letdown at some point this season but it shouldn't be at Wazzu. :-?

Just stay healthy...just stay healthy, just stay healthy, just stay healthy.
Metroid

PreviousNext

Return to College Football