Bad Luck - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Bad Luck

Moderator: Football Moderators

Bad Luck

Postby deerayfan072 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:40 pm

A mini-van full of illegals rear-ended a Homeland Security SUV this morning on I-10.

The Arizona Department of Public Safety said the overloaded van was heading west when it was involved in a 3-vehicle chain-reaction crash near the Elliot Road off ramp.

No one was hurt.

The 11 illegal immigrants inside the van were taken into custody by ICE.
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Bad Luck

Postby josebach » Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:13 pm

That's funny. :-) I thought this was personal anecdote time. For those who thought like me...

I had some bad luck today. Yesterday, I lost my cable, so I called Comcast and they came out and found out my house had an electrical ground problem. So today, the electrician and a worker from the city utilities came and together they determined the problem was a buried cable somewhere in our front yard arcing. Now they have to "locate" all the other crap in the front yard like water, cable, phone and gas, dig a trench and put in new wire and conduit. Should run me probably between $1,200-$1,500. All on a 4 year old home. ;-D The icing on the cake is that the city turned off the power to our house because it was a fire hazared, so tonight we're spending the evening by candlelight. Yaaaaaay!!!! :-b

Oh, well. The way I look at it, things could always be worse. Can't sweat the little stuff.
josebach
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby deerayfan072 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:16 pm

I had bad luck today.

I decided to vote in the primary early today and my windows were all fogged up b/c it was cold outside this morning. I decided to roll down my window to see and it got stuck half-way. It wouldn't go back up, i got it to go down and than it would not go past half way up. Drove around forever to find a place to fix it, walked home, than walked back to get it. Barley made it to class on time :-°
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Metroid » Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:04 pm

deerayfan072 wrote:...Barley made it to class on time :-°

Good for Barley! I know how much trouble that guy has getting to class on time. :-b
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby scottaa1 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:20 pm

D@mn Jose... will that fall under your homeowner's insurance, or could the builder be liable for that? That just shouldn't happen on such a newly constructed dwelling.
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)

Postby wisconnie » Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:28 pm

deerayfan072 wrote:I had bad luck today.

I decided to vote in the primary early today and my windows were all fogged up b/c it was cold outside this morning. I decided to roll down my window to see and it got stuck half-way. It wouldn't go back up, i got it to go down and than it would not go past half way up. Drove around forever to find a place to fix it, walked home, than walked back to get it. Barley made it to class on time :-°

Same exact thing happened to me....except it finally went up after like 10 minutes of continually attempting to roll it up.
wisconnie
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby scottaa1 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:44 pm

there's apparently a tornado within 2 miles of my house. This cold front is hitting hard. Lots of ice hitting the windows, lightning, thunder. Hope I still have a roof in the AM.
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:51 pm

Today when I was pulling out of a parking spot, I clearly didn't hit a guy's car, but he tried to blame me for a scratch that was obviously already there. Anyway, he is trying to make me pay for a new paint job, which is really annoying because I didn't do anything, so we'll just have to see what happens. Anyway, there's my bad luck vent.

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby deerayfan072 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:55 pm

scottaa1 wrote:D@mn Jose... will that fall under your homeowner's insurance, or could the builder be liable for that? That just shouldn't happen on such a newly constructed dwelling.

Builder possibly, but it most likely would not be covered by homeowner's insurance. (especially if you have Citizens since u live in FL). Also, you wouldn't want to make a claim for that and raise your rates
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby josebach » Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:34 am

deerayfan072 wrote:
scottaa1 wrote:D@mn Jose... will that fall under your homeowner's insurance, or could the builder be liable for that? That just shouldn't happen on such a newly constructed dwelling.

Builder possibly, but it most likely would not be covered by homeowner's insurance. (especially if you have Citizens since u live in FL). Also, you wouldn't want to make a claim for that and raise your rates

Sorry, didn't respond. I missed work yesterday to supervise the destruction of my front yard and just got power back last night. Still no internet or cable, though. :-b

What a pain in the a%%!!!!! I could bore you with the details of trying to find the break in the wire, but to make a long story short, they couldn't find it so we had to replace the whole thing. I haven't gotten the bill yet, but it should be around $1,400. It could definitely have been worse. Before the city cut power, we had a surge protector melt and almost catch on fire. I didn't even realize this until after I made my initial post. Fortunately, all of my electronic equipment seems to be ok.

As far as insurance goes... it doesn't look like it's going to be covered, but my agent told us to file a claim anyway. At least then, they'll be record of it. The house warranty is over and there is no way to prove the electrical contractor screwed up. It very well may not have been him as the water was layed down on top of the electrical. We ended up losing the wire under my driveway, so the only way to really find out what happened would be to dig up the driveway. Just gotta bite the bullet and pay it. Oh, well. $1,400 is a nice chunk of change, but considering this is the first major repair I've had to make on the house, I really can't complain. I'm pretty good at staying positive. Things can always be worse.
josebach
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker

Next

Return to General Talk