League Discussion - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Defunct Dynasty League

League Discussion

Moderators: flotsamnjetsam, dream_017, WaCougMBS, Football Moderators

Re: League Discussion

Postby WaCougMBS » Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:57 pm

Toltec wrote:I think the re-signing vets rule in this league makes it too easy to resign top guys, ensuring that the FA market never really is that great. Makes it hard for lower teams to improve other than through draft and trades... makes this seem more like a 20 man keeper rather than a salary league.

In the past, I would have agreed almost wholeheartedly, but with a few more $12M+ RB contracts driving the average through the roof I think there will have to be some protection from flooding the market in the opposite direction. Just spitballin' here, and not sure keeping NTC for re-signs is the best alternative, but we have to make sure to come up with a sustainable solution that finds a happy medium IMO.

Should some top players have to be dropped into the pool for FFA bids? Sure. But at the same time, this is a dynasty, salary cap or not, and you're not supposed to be able to go from the cellar to the top of the mountain in a year or two unless you can do precisely what you suggested as the only way to improve.

Coming from someone who took over a team with basically nothing other than two star LBs (who now are somewhere between decent and terrible), an up-and-coming QB and a couple of decent RBs, I can appreciate the situation you're talking about, but I can also tell you it's been that much more rewarding turning into a championship contender/playoff choker largely on the merits of my drafting, trading and work on FA/WW fronts ;-)
Av/sig by deluxe_247
WaCougMBS

Radio PimpEditorModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Sun Aug 28, 2011 4:21 pm

I think the NTC should stay for re-signs. Using it saves you money, but if you trade the player you have to pay that money back. Like WaCoug said, this is a dynasty league, but it's unlike most "normal" dynasty leagues. It sounds like some people want to get rid of the NTC just so more high quality players will be up for future FA auctions. If we get rid of the NTC, and this does happen, the backloaded contracts that will ensue will make our re-sign values shoot through the roof in future years (more than it already will)...making it even harder for anyone to re-sign any of the elite players. I don't think escalating salaries should force owners to dump elite players just because it's too expensive to re-sign them. Getting out of the cellar in dynasty leagues isn't supposed to be easy. In most dynasty leagues, one owner will own certain elite players throughout their entire careers (barring trades). But in this league you can get out of the cellar with good drafting, trades, and good FA adds. It's definitely not easy, but again, it's not supposed to be.

Because of the escalating & backloaded salaries, if we end up getting rid of the NTC for re-signs, I would propose that the value for re-signs be changed from the average of the top 5 players at that position to the average of the top 10 players at that position. I don't think it's fair for owners to be forced to dump elite players into the FA pool because of ridiculous re-sign values. The FA market isn't supposed to be filled with great players in dynasty leagues. What other dynasty league would have had Bradshaw on the WW this year? This league already has more than enough talent left on the FA market.

Also, next year is going to be very unique. ALL drafted players from year 1 (that had 5 year contracts) will have their contracts expiring. Next year will be a bumper crop for the FA market...even with the NTC on re-signs.

Thanks to deluxe_247 for the awesome sig!
flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 78)

Postby Toltec » Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:03 pm

flotsamnjetsam wrote:What other dynasty league would have had Bradshaw on the WW this year?

Contract/salary cap dynasty leagues? I am in two others. Fitz, S. Holmes, Hillis, & Tom Brady were among other notable FAs in one, and in another you had ADP in RFA where the bid was matched by the original owner. There were other UFAs in the same league in the top 25 at their position. The difference is those leagues only allow you to resign a limited number of players outright (usually one), a number may be restricted depending on rules, while others are unrestricted.

This isn't a typical dynasty league, it is a salary cap league with static Rookie values and salary cap. Whole different ballgame.
Toltec
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 1)

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:29 pm

Toltec wrote:
flotsamnjetsam wrote:What other dynasty league would have had Bradshaw on the WW this year?

Contract/salary cap dynasty leagues? I am in two others. Fitz, S. Holmes, Hillis, & Tom Brady were among other notable FAs in one, and in another you had ADP in RFA where the bid was matched by the original owner. There were other UFAs in the same league in the top 25 at their position. The difference is those leagues only allow you to resign a limited number of players outright (usually one), a number may be restricted depending on rules, while others are unrestricted.

This isn't a typical dynasty league, it is a salary cap league with static Rookie values and salary cap. Whole different ballgame.

That was my point. ;-D

flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:07 pm

WaCougMBS wrote:I think we need to consider skipping ron pretty soon, as we only do have those 11 days to make it through basically 2 full rounds and sign the guys to contracts, etc. in time to set matchups. Thoughts?

I really hate skipping people in rookie drafts, so I asked bungle to pick for Ron. Thanks a lot bungle! ;-D

flotsamnjetsam

Postby terpfan » Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:29 pm

Hey so I know we have the IR spot and that players getting stashed their need to be on the real life IR. How about the PUP list? :-)
terpfan
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:53 pm

terpfan wrote:Hey so I know we have the IR spot and that players getting stashed their need to be on the real life IR. How about the PUP list? :-)

We can ask dream when he gets back from his trip, but I'm 99.9999% sure that the player has to be put on IR by his NFL team in order for us to put him on IR.

flotsamnjetsam

Postby terpfan » Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:12 pm

flotsamnjetsam wrote:
terpfan wrote:Hey so I know we have the IR spot and that players getting stashed their need to be on the real life IR. How about the PUP list? :-)

We can ask dream when he gets back from his trip, but I'm 99.9999% sure that the player has to be put on IR by his NFL team in order for us to put him on IR.

Haha yeah I figured just thought I'd inquire. The only real difference is that it's a shorter period of time...
terpfan
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 ChampionPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:05 pm

Rong2360 wrote:Sorry I didn't pick on time.

No problem Ron! I hope you got who you wanted. ;-D

flotsamnjetsam

Postby WaCougMBS » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:07 pm

Blockbuster needs approval on Aisle 1 O:-)
Av/sig by deluxe_247
WaCougMBS

Radio PimpEditorModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Defunct Dynasty League