League Discussion - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Defunct Dynasty League

League Discussion

Moderators: flotsamnjetsam, dream_017, WaCougMBS, Football Moderators

Re: League Discussion

Postby Kareighuis » Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:14 am

Questions-

1- I'm under the impression the FA period is a free-for-all, where there's no limit to how many players can be nominated for bidding, nor how many players a team can nominate at a time.

2- When a player is going to be cut (not using the AFT but a standard cut) the cap hit is calculated based on the remaining (current year and future years) salaries, not previous years. For example, Dallas Clark cost me 6.35 mill last year but .2 this year and next year. So, as I understand it, the cap hit would be based on potential games played in remaining part of contract. As I recall, it was simple and a very clear yes, but if I'm wrong, it yields dramatically different results.
"When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading." - Henny Youngman

I want a prehensile sucker tail, and I don't want to wait fifty million years.
Kareighuis
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:10 am

Kareighuis wrote:Alright-

1- AFT- Terrell Thomas, DB, NYG

2- Posted cuts here- viewtopic.php?f=253&t=513384&p=3424033#p3424033. That should free room to activate my IR'd players.

3- I also posted who I'd like to resign there, but I wasn't entirely certain of the contracts that they'd get.

4- My PMs are full here and I frankly don't have the time to go through all 500+ of them to figure which to keep. Right now, I have 3 PMs received that I can't read because my inbox (and backup inbox) are both at the 200 limit. PMs aren't the best way to reach me.

5- When I do my rounds on my favorite FF websites (at least several times a day), FFC is one of those sites. When I view my posts, I'd read up on the latest discussion for this league. After the conversations in the League Discussion thread here died down, I was under the impression things were on hold till dream came back and awal got filled in on how to use the spreadsheet. I wish I had known there were conversations occurring outside this thread that weren't being linked to from here.

6- I've also read the tentative offseason schedule- viewtopic.php?t=513383

1. That leaves Bradford as the only owner not to post his AFT. I talked to him tonight about it, so hopefully he'll post his soon (or decide not to use it). Just a reminder to everyone that you don't have to cut your AFT player, but if you are going to cut him, please post that in the cuts thread. You can wait all offseason to decide whether or not to cut your AFT player.

2. I made the drops and activated your IR players on MFL.

3. Contracts aren't due until after the rookie draft, but I'll respond to your post in that thread after I finish this post.

4. Did you get the emails that I sent? I didn't know about your inbox being full, but I sent a couple of emails after almost everyone posted their AFT's. Just want to make sure I can contact you that way.

5. Yeah, sorry about that. Obviously the discussions that we've had took place in the other threads. I'll post here more often in the future.

6. Looks like we might be able to start the FA auctions early. Bradford needs to post his AFT decision & re-signs. As mentioned above, I talked to him tonight about it. I talked to him before I saw that terp & Kareighuis posted, and I told him "no rush" because of that & because of the 7/15 deadline, but I'll call him tomorrow to ask him to get them in ASAP so we can start the FA auctions early. I sent Ron a FB message, but I'll also give him a call tomorrow about the 3 players he missed when he posted his re-signs. Then we'll be ready to start the FA auctions.

Kareighuis wrote:Questions-

1- I'm under the impression the FA period is a free-for-all, where there's no limit to how many players can be nominated for bidding, nor how many players a team can nominate at a time.

2- When a player is going to be cut (not using the AFT but a standard cut) the cap hit is calculated based on the remaining (current year and future years) salaries, not previous years. For example, Dallas Clark cost me 6.35 mill last year but .2 this year and next year. So, as I understand it, the cap hit would be based on potential games played in remaining part of contract. As I recall, it was simple and a very clear yes, but if I'm wrong, it yields dramatically different results.

1. Correct, and I just wanted to mention to everyone this part of the rules & settings:

rules wrote:During the offseason Rosters will temporarily expand from 35 players to 40 players, mainly to allow for the inclusion of drafted rookies. Teams will then have until a pre-determined date (August 27th, 2010 for the '10 season) to "cut down" to 35 players again.

2. Correct for the most part. Here's that part of the rules & settings:

rules wrote:Off-season cuts:

When you cut a player in the off-season, you will be required to pay 50% of the yearly average of the remaining contract.

I said "correct for the most part" because the cap hit for offseason cuts isn't based on potential games played in remaining part of contract. That's for inseason cuts:

rule wrote:In-season cuts:

If you cut a player during the season, you receive that player’s contract back that has not been used for that season. For example, if a player only played 2 games for you out of a 14 game season, that player only receives 15% of their contract because they only were on your team for 15% of the games. You would receive 85% of the contract back but the cost applied as in the case for off-season cuts increases from 50% of the yearly average of the remaining contract to 75%. So you would still be required to “buy out” the remainder of the contract (excluding the year you are in).

Using the player you mentioned, the cap hit for dropping Clark in the offseason would look like this:

Dallas Clark, TE
Contract length- 3 years
Average Yearly Salary- 1.25M
Total Contract Amount- 6.75M
20111- 6.35M
2012- 200K
2013- 200K
NTC- Y

Initial Contract Added to Cap: $200K
Amount Actually Paid to Player: $100K
Gain/Loss Upon Cutting Player: $100K

APPROVE OR DENY?

I think that covers all your questions. Feel free to ask more questions, and that goes for everyone! ;-D

Thanks to deluxe_247 for the awesome sig!
flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 81)

Postby Kareighuis » Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:09 am

flotsamnjetsam wrote:
Kareighuis wrote:4- My PMs are full here and I frankly don't have the time to go through all 500+ of them to figure which to keep. Right now, I have 3 PMs received that I can't read because my inbox (and backup inbox) are both at the 200 limit. PMs aren't the best way to reach me.

5- When I do my rounds on my favorite FF websites (at least several times a day), FFC is one of those sites. When I view my posts, I'd read up on the latest discussion for this league. After the conversations in the League Discussion thread here died down, I was under the impression things were on hold till dream came back and awal got filled in on how to use the spreadsheet. I wish I had known there were conversations occurring outside this thread that weren't being linked to from here.

4. Did you get the emails that I sent? I didn't know about your inbox being full, but I sent a couple of emails after almost everyone posted their AFT's. Just want to make sure I can contact you that way.

5. Yeah, sorry about that. Obviously the discussions that we've had took place in the other threads. I'll post here more often in the future.

4- I do get emails at that address. I've recently been getting flooded by x-rated spam for some reason (having nothing to do with web searches or sites visited), so sometimes I have to wade through my spam box or take a sickle to my inbox, but I get them.

5- I appreciate your response, but I was simultaneously trying to explain why I wasn't as up to speed in the other threads as people checking in as often as I do and also refer to my frustration with myself that I didn't take the additional step of checking the forum itself.
flotsamnjetsam wrote:

1. Correct, and I just wanted to mention to everyone this part of the rules & settings:

rules wrote:During the offseason Rosters will temporarily expand from 35 players to 40 players, mainly to allow for the inclusion of drafted rookies. Teams will then have until a pre-determined date (August 27th, 2010 for the '10 season) to "cut down" to 35 players again.

Crazy idea hit me. What if a team signs a FA to a contract but cuts them in the preseason, before the first game of the first year of the new contract starts? Are there no cap consequences, are they minimal, or something different? I once signed a kicker but cut him that very week, before he was on my roster for that 1st game, and was charged a cap hit of 0.015385.

Kareighuis
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:49 am

Kareighuis wrote:
flotsamnjetsam wrote:

Crazy idea hit me. What if a team signs a FA to a contract but cuts them in the preseason, before the first game of the first year of the new contract starts? Are there no cap consequences, are they minimal, or something different? I once signed a kicker but cut him that very week, before he was on my roster for that 1st game, and was charged a cap hit of 0.015385.

If an owner signs a FA, but they cut him before the season starts, there's still a cap hit. As long as the player is dropped before the 1st game of the season (Giants vs Dallas on Wednesday 9/5), he's eligible for the discounted offseason cap hit of 50%. ;-D

flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:32 am

Hope everyone has a happy & safe 4th of July! ;-D

flotsamnjetsam

Postby Kareighuis » Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:06 pm

flotsamnjetsam wrote:
Kareighuis wrote:
flotsamnjetsam wrote:1. Correct, and I just wanted to mention to everyone this part of the rules & settings:

If an owner signs a FA, but they cut him before the season starts, there's still a cap hit. As long as the player is dropped before the 1st game of the season (Giants vs Dallas on Wednesday 9/5), he's eligible for the discounted offseason cap hit of 50%. ;-D

What would the 50% "discounted" offseason cap hit be discounted from? The first year of the deal, the entire contract, or something different?

Kareighuis
General Manager
General Manager

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:25 pm

Kareighuis wrote:
flotsamnjetsam wrote:
Kareighuis wrote:Crazy idea hit me. What if a team signs a FA to a contract but cuts them in the preseason, before the first game of the first year of the new contract starts? Are there no cap consequences, are they minimal, or something different? I once signed a kicker but cut him that very week, before he was on my roster for that 1st game, and was charged a cap hit of 0.015385.

What would the 50% "discounted" offseason cap hit be discounted from? The first year of the deal, the entire contract, or something different?

When I saw your question, I wasn't 100% sure, so I looked through the 2010 threads for a similar situation:

flotsamnjetsam wrote:
steelerfan513 wrote:Lynell Hamilton - RB, NO
Contract Length: 5 years
Average Yearly Salary: $300k
Total Contract Amount: $1.5M
2010-2014: $300k
NTC: NO

Initial Contract Added to Cap: $300K
Amount Actually Paid to Player: $150K
Gain/Loss Upon Cutting Player: $150K

APPROVE OR DENY?

steelerfan won Hamilton on July 20th, and then he cut him on August 14th, before the season started. So it's still:

rules wrote:Off-season cuts:

When you cut a player in the off-season, you will be required to pay 50% of the yearly average of the remaining contract.

;-D

flotsamnjetsam

Postby Kareighuis » Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:43 pm

;-D Preciate, flots!

Kareighuis
General Manager
General Manager

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:25 pm

Kareighuis wrote:;-D Preciate, flots!

No problem! ;-D

flotsamnjetsam

Postby Kareighuis » Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:16 am

Alright, reading the rules and settings thread, came across this portion.

mattb47 wrote:No Trade Clauses (NTC):

One aspect of a salary is a no-trade clause(NTC) that you can add to the salary. If you choose to do this, 25% of the player’s salary each year will be taken away. The player in question must have a base salary of no less than $1 million to be eligible. If you choose to trade a player with a NTC attached, you will be required to pay the remaining money saved by using the NTC (minus the years that player spent on your team) in one lump sum in the form of a cap hit. After the trade, the player’s salary will remain what it was after the NTC was attached.

Am I to take that last sentence as meaning that players with NTC clauses that are traded will have their contracts redone so that-
1- the NTC clause is removed;
2- the per-year salary with the NTC will becomes the baseline per-year salary after the trade?

Take, for example, an NTC player entering the 2nd year of their contract. After accounting for NTC, they're due 4mil in 2012 and 5 mil in 2013. The NTC would be thrown out and the contract would be redone so that the base salary is 4 and 5 million respectively.

Never mind what the difference is. !+)

An easier question to ask- it says the team trading the NTC player away pays the money saved with the NTC in future years. Does that include the current year, pro-rated over games on the roster?

Kareighuis
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Defunct Dynasty League