ACT - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

ACT

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: ACT

Postby Dawinner127 » Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:03 pm

steelerfan513 wrote:Many schools disregard it completely, but I'd guess that just as many consider it in admissions.

Although I do agree that it's a pretty poor indicator of one's writing ability. It measures your overall ability to construct sentences and a decent argument, but that's about it. Once you've practiced writing that type of essay enough times, you're guaranteed to get an 11 or 12 (out of 12).

I agree with you 100%. I've taken the practice of the SAT a good 4 times. My score has only gone up and I feel very comfortable about actually writing a great essay for the SAT on March 1st. My scores have gone up from 7s and 8s to 9s and 10s. I feel very confident about the essay part of the test. Now for the rest of the writing sections, the force must be with me ;-D
A win next week and all is forgotten.
Dawinner127
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 71)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby steelerfan513 » Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:05 pm

Dawinner127 wrote:
steelerfan513 wrote:Many schools disregard it completely, but I'd guess that just as many consider it in admissions.

Although I do agree that it's a pretty poor indicator of one's writing ability. It measures your overall ability to construct sentences and a decent argument, but that's about it. Once you've practiced writing that type of essay enough times, you're guaranteed to get an 11 or 12 (out of 12).

I agree with you 100%. I've taken the practice of the SAT a good 4 times. My score has only gone up and I feel very comfortable about actually writing a great essay for the SAT on March 1st. My scores have gone up from 7s and 8s to 9s and 10s. I feel very confident about the essay part of the test. Now for the rest of the writing sections, the force must be with me ;-D

Couldn't agree more. I definitely don't think my essay will hurt my score when I take the SAT again in a couple weeks. I love that you're allowed to make stuff up, even though I usually don't. :-b
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby Dawinner127 » Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:17 pm

steelerfan513 wrote:
Dawinner127 wrote:

Couldn't agree more. I definitely don't think my essay will hurt my score when I take the SAT again in a couple weeks. I love that you're allowed to make stuff up, even though I usually don't. :-b

Oh yes, that could possibly be the best part about writing it. You can completely lie about the knowledge you know when you write, except for obvious stuff like who the 1st or 16th president was. But, you can make up titles of books and characters in books. The reader of your essay is going to have no clue whatsoever if the book you just wrote about is fake or not. ;-D Gotta love it :-b
A win next week and all is forgotten.
Dawinner127
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 71)

Previous

Return to General Talk