Best cross-sports player. - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Best cross-sports player.

Moderator: Football Moderators

Best cross-sports player.

Postby yankees92 » Sat Feb 09, 2008 6:40 am

Who do you guys think has been the greatest 2 or more sports player, who obviosly has played football. For me, it is Jim Brown, in the football and lacrosse hall of fame, or Bo Jackson, the only player to be an all-star in baseball, and a pro bowler. Or even Deion Sanders, who played football and baseball, and is considered one of the greatest cornerbacks of all time? You decide, you may even mention someone else
yankees92
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Best cross-sports player.

Postby brownsfanjoe » Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:46 am

In my view, It was either Deion Sanders, Bo Jackson or Jim Thorpe, who played many sports. I would actually say Jim Thorpe. How did you not mention him??
brownsfanjoe
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:49 pm

I would definitely say Bo Jackson, no question in my mind. He was a freak of nature...

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:17 am

Jim Thorpe, and it's not even a contest, IMO. The man won two gold medals in the 1912 Olympics for the Decathlon and Pentathlon and was a Pro Football Hall of Famer.
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:40 am

Dr. Duran Duran wrote:Jim Thorpe, and it's not even a contest, IMO. The man won two gold medals in the 1912 Olympics for the Decathlon and Pentathlon and was a Pro Football Hall of Famer.

Here's an article that agrees with you DDD.

http://bettersports.blogspot.com/2007/0 ... f-all.html

Look at what Babe Didrikson did...and all before she died at age 42. 8-o

1/22/2007
Greatest multi-sport athletes of all-time

Notre Dame receiver Jeff Samardzija has chosen baseball over football -- for $10m. Projected as a first-round pick in the upcoming NFL draft, he agreed to a 5 year $10 million contract. He is a going to be a pitcher for the Cubs. While I love football, I can understand Samardzija, baseball is easier on the body, and you can make a lot more money

This got me thinking of what other players played two sports. Below are my list of top 10 multi-sport athletes of all-time:

10. John Elway - Considered to be one of the greatest QB's in football history and a Hall of Famer, Elway was also a very good baseball player. I won't go into his NFL career as he owns numerous records and won 2 Super Bowls. His baseball career includes being drafted by the Royals out of high school. At Stanford he hit .361 with nine homers and 50 RBIs in 49 games as a sophomore. After that he was the first pick of the Yankees in 1981. He hit .314 with a club-high 24 homers with the Yankees single-A farm club.

9. Bob Hayes - In 1963 he set a world record by running the 100-yard dash in 9.1 seconds. He won two gold medals (100 yard and 4X100) at the 1964 Tokyo Olympics. He then signed with the Cowboys, and in his first two seasons, Hayes led the NFL in receiving touchdowns. The only person to have won an NFL ring and gold medal. In the NFL he made the Pro Bowl 3 times and was All-Pro 4 times. One year he averaged 20 yards per punt return which is amazing. His speed forced NFL teams to develop the zone defense.

8. Dave Winfield - He was a Hall of Fame slugger in baseball, but check this out. He was drafted by four professional teams in three different sports. After college (Minnesota), where he played baseball and basketball, he was drafted by the NBA's Atlanta Hawks, the ABA's Utah Stars, the NFL Vikings and by the San Diego Padres in baseball.

7. Dick Groat - Jon Wertheim makes the case for this baseball and basketball player from Duke. Wertheim calls him the best Duke basketball player EVER. He was a NL MVP and won two World Series rings with the Pittsburgh Pirates. In college at Duke, he averaged 26 pts per game in 1952 and led the country in assists and was the national player of the year. He chose baseball because Branch Rickey, the Pirates coach, forced him to pick a sport, and baseball was the more lucrative of the two sports.

6. Deion Sanders - played nine years in baseball, and will probably be a Hall of Fame football player when he becomes eligible. While a great football player - an 8-time Pro Bowl player who won 2 Super Bowls, he was also an above average baseball player, and probably would have been better had he played the sport full-time. The only man to play in both the Super Bowl and the World Series.

5. Babe Didrikson - Probably the greatest women athlete of ever. She was a great golfer (won 41 LPGA events and 11 majors), an All-American basketball player, who also won two track and field gold medals in the 1932 Olympics, and who knows what else she would have done had she not died at 42 of cancer.

4. Jackie Robinson was great in football and track in college, but ultimately made his name in baseball as a Hall of Fame player and the one who broke the color barrier in MLB. At UCLA, he became the first athlete in UCLA history to letter in four different sports in one year. Until 1947 he was presumed to be the only person ever selected to play in the college all-star games in both basketball and football.

3. Bo Jackson who was drafted first overall in football but choose baseball first. He eventually came back to football before a hip injury ended his career. An all-star in baseball he was the All-Star games MVP in 1989. In football he was on his way to a great career before he got hurt. What's remarkable is that he was the comeback player of the year in MLB after his injury. In terms of actual results, he probably shouldn't be ranked so high, but at his peak, he was an electric athlete who was the most popular athlete in the country at one point. Who knows what he could have accomplished had he stayed healthy.

2. Jim Brown - You might know him as one of the greatest football players of all-time. But he is also a Hall of Fame Lacrosse player - some consider him the greatest lacrosse player of all time. In fact, he got his scholarship to Syracuse as a lacrosse player and walked onto the football team. He led Syracuse's lacrosse team to an undefeated season in 1957, leading the country in scoring. As a football player? In only 9 years he became the all-time leading rushing leader in the NFL, and currently sits third on that list and was a Hall of Famer.

1. Jim Thorpe- considered one of the most versatile athletes in modern sports. He won Olympic gold medals in the pentathlon and decathlon, starred in college and professional football, played Major League Baseball and also had a career in basketball. What more could you ask of someone - a professional star in four sports.

Thanks to deluxe_247 for the awesome sig!
flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 81)

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:50 am

Damn, Flotsam, I didn't even know about Didrikson. That's quite an impressive resume, to say the least. I guess there's no questioning who the best female cross-sports player would be.
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby stomperrob » Sat May 03, 2008 4:04 pm

Honorable mention to fellow Canadian Lionel Conacher, who was named our "Greatest Male Athlete of the Half Century" in 1950.

His accomplishments:

~Can Lt Heavyweight boxing champion
~Hockey Hall of Fame
~Can. Football Hall Of Fame
~Can. Lacrosse Hall Of Fame
~Can. Sports Hall Of Fame
~in addition,his other sports included baseball, rugby, rowing, and wrestling!

see: http://www.histori.ca/minutes/minute.do?id=14211
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 168)

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Sat May 10, 2008 6:04 pm

Great find, Rob. I think it's certainly safe to say, he's Canada's most impressive athlete!
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Tue May 13, 2008 1:25 am

stomperrob wrote:Honorable mention to fellow Canadian Lionel Conacher, who was named our "Greatest Male Athlete of the Half Century" in 1950.

His accomplishments:

~Can Lt Heavyweight boxing champion
~Hockey Hall of Fame
~Can. Football Hall Of Fame
~Can. Lacrosse Hall Of Fame
~Can. Sports Hall Of Fame
~in addition,his other sports included baseball, rugby, rowing, and wrestling!

see: http://www.histori.ca/minutes/minute.do?id=14211

Wow! 8-o

Nice one Rob. I definitely never heard of him before. ;-D

Thanks to deluxe_247 for the awesome sig!
flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 81)

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:43 pm

As soon as I saw this article from FSN, I thought of the Cafe. Unfortunately, our Canadian friend did not make their cut...

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/pgStory?co ... to=8379778
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Next

Return to Football Talk