Weis turns play-calling over to OC - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to College Football

Weis turns play-calling over to OC

Moderator: Football Moderators

Weis turns play-calling over to OC

Postby stomperrob » Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:25 pm

Notre Dame's Weis hands play-calling to offensive coordinator
Feb. 8, 2008
CBSSports.com wire reports

SOUTH BEND, Ind. -- Notre Dame coach Charlie Weis, who built his coaching reputation as a play-caller while helping the New England Patriots win three Super Bowls, won't be calling plays for the Fighting Irish next season.

Offensive coordinator Mike Haywood will call plays so Weis, coming off a dismal 3-9 season, can concentrate on his duties as head coach.

"I think that when you're play-calling on offense, you might not necessarily be the best head coach. So what I'm trying to do is I'm trying to be a better head coach," Weis said Friday.

Weis decided to move away from play-calling after meeting with his old boss, Bill Belichick, before the Patriots played the New York Giants in the regular-season finale Dec. 29. Weis said he talked more with Belichick about how to be a better coach than about X's and O's. He also consulted with others, but said he was already leaning toward delegating the play-calling.

"I just felt that I had to, after this past season, figure out a laundry list of things on and off the field that I wanted to make better, and this was one of them," he said.

The move will give more freedom and responsibility to the assistant coaches on offense, Weis said.

"It means that all the offensive coaches now won't have to worry about the head coach breathing down their neck all the time," he said. "When you have a number of good coaches sometimes they get stymied or stifled a little bit when you have a very domineering presence as head coach that's also involved in the offense."

Weis also wants to be more approachable to players. The Irish played more underclassmen last season and Weis was concerned some were too worried about getting yelled at by him. He hopes they will worry less when they get to know him better.

"You get it so that they know you better so if you yell at them, they know that it's not personal," he said.

On the defensive side, Weis said he will let defensive coordinator Corwin Brown and newly hired Jon Tenuta, assistant head coach for defense, work out how they will run the defense. Brown will call the plays, Weis said.

Tenuta was defensive coordinator at Georgia Tech for six seasons, where they ran a 4-3 defense. The Irish switched to a 3-4 defense in Brown's first season last year, but frequently used four-man fronts. So what will the defense look like next season?

"I think the idiosyncrasies of what they'll do we'll start worrying about on Feb. 18" when Tenuta starts, Weis said.

Tenuta will coach the linebackers next season, while Brown will coach the defensive backs.

Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Weis turns play-calling over to OC

Postby skibrett15 » Fri Feb 15, 2008 2:08 pm

True Offensive Genius:
Bill Walsh

ESPN Offensive Genius of the year winners:
Brian Billick
Charlie Weis
ADMIN edit: please note that the overall sig limit is 12k - thanks!
(Thanks Leber)
AIM is like multiplayer notepad
skibrett15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Return to College Football