Draft Needs - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Minnesota Vikings

Draft Needs

Moderator: Football Moderators

Draft Needs

Postby RiffRaff » Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:17 am

List your preferences for position the Vikes should go for.

I know best athlete available, humor me. ;-D
The Eagles rule, the Viqueens drool.
E-A-G-L-E-S EAGLES, EAGLES, EAGLES
RiffRaff
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerPick 3 ChampionCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Big Old 0 for the Grill-0- Meter. Minnesota Weather Sucks

Re: Draft Needs

Postby BlueBandit24 » Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:24 pm

You already stole my idea! I am a fervent believer in taking the best player available, as long as that guy fits well with your system. But there are still a few guys I have in mind. :-)

Derrick Harvey-DE (Florida) Defensive End could be a high priority with the sad news of Udeze's leukemia. Hopefully it is the treatable kind and Udeze can continue to play football and live a healthy life, but even with Kenechi in the fold a boost could be used from the end position. Harvey was a tackle for loss machine the past two seasons and can get to the QB as well. We could use a playmaker off the edge and the pass rush has really been a weakness of the D the past few seasons.

Reggie Smith-S (Oklahoma) Dwight Smith sucks and Darren Sharper is getting older, not to mention the fact that both Mike Doss and Tank Williams are free agents. Smith is physical (something we could use in our secondary) and would be a boost to our secondary overall. He can also play corner and would give the team flexibility back there.

Kenny Phillips-S (Miami) I think safety is one of our bigger weaknesses, and Phillips is the playmaking type that this defense thrives on.

An Offensive Tackle (Ryan Clady, Jeff Otah, Chris Williams, Sam Baker Ryan Cook is nothing more than a paperweight at RT, and with Anthony Herrera's solid play at RG this year, RT is really the only glaring weakness along that line. Get somebody who can step in and help give Tarvaris more time (which he desperately needs) and our offense as a whole should benefit.

Those would be some guys I am looking at in the 1st round. A lot of people have us taking a WR, but with a deep WR class I'd prefer to hold off until Round 2, assuming we don't grab a Berrian or Hackett in free agency. In the 2nd Round, here are some names that intrigue me:

Devin Thomas-WR (Michigan State)A strong and compact receiver with pretty good wheels. We could definitely use a compliment to Rice, and Bobby Wade can move back to the slot where he belongs. Addarius Bowman (Oklahoma State), Early Doucet (LSU), and Earl Bennett (Vanderbilt) are other WR's that I like here. A speedy deep-threat would be the best compliment to Rice IMO, but guys like Manningham and Jackson are going to be long gone by here most likely.

Dajuan Morgan-S (NC State) Right back to safety. I want one on the 1st day.

Chad Henne-QB (Michigan) Put some pressure on T-Jax. Bring in a talented QB who can at the very least offer a competent back-up. He can develop for at least a year, and if T-Jax doesn't improve he can become the man under center. Joe Flacco, Erik Ainge are other QB's I like on the 1st day.
BlueBandit24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby LoveBoatCaptain » Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:46 pm

If the Vikings were able to somehow land Kenny Phillips, I'd be tempted to buy everyone at the Cafe a shot. It would be a dream scenario. The likelihood however, is minimal at best. Prospects who should be there for our pick that I'd be content with are (in no particular order): DeSean Jackson (WR), Reggie Smith (DB), Chris Williams (OT), and Derrick Harvey (DE).
LoveBoatCaptain
Head Coach
Head Coach

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby bungle613 » Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:54 am

Most projections I have seen have us grabbing Harvey but a few have Phillips falling. Phillips is my first choice by far.

I agree that the WR class is deep this year and should not be a Vikings first round pick. DE or Safety is the need in the first but i think Phillips is the only first round quality safety.

2nd through 4th. A WR, QB and either the first DE we take or the 2nd. Would love to see us finally have a pass rush. Whoever has been in charge of drafting DE's over the past few years is hopefully gone or they lock him up for the weekend.

Oh, and please don't trade our picks for McNabb. Please, please, please.
bungle613
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby BlueBandit24 » Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:05 pm

Now that Williams and Berrian are on board, I do not see the team addressing WR or S on the 1st day. I still endorse the best player available strategy, but fortunately for us BPA may line up with a need this year. I am liking both Derrick Harvey and Quentin Groves at DE. Both are speedy guys off the edge and would boost the pass rush, hopefully immediately. Even if we sign Odom, who is scheduled for a visit tomorrow, I think a DE has to be plucked in the first 2 rounds. Lawrence Jackson and Calais Campbell are guys who may slip into the middle of the 2nd and there are a host of others who may be good fits even later than that.

If both Harvey and Groves are gone and there really is not a player that stands out above the rest at #17, I would love to see them add a Chris Williams or Jeff Otah to play tackle. Williams would be ideal, as he could probably play both LT or RT. Throw him at RT to begin with, and if McKinnie gets suspended he can slide over to LT. I am not a big McKinnie fan anyway, so if Williams plays well we could possibly kick McKinnie to the curb considering his proclivity for getting into fights at strip clubs and getting beat by speed rushers. Offensive Tackle is a deep position this year and I think we should take advantage by getting one in the first few rounds.
BlueBandit24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby LoveBoatCaptain » Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:10 pm

I still want us to address safety -- just not in the first round anymore. Darren Sharper will be retire eventually. Drafting a safety in the 3rd or 4th round would be nice. Maybe we could bring Tank back to back up Madieu/Darren and let a rookie learn deep in the depth chart. If the Vikings can land a RT in the first, tight end in the 2nd, and safety in the 3rd, I'd be happy.
LoveBoatCaptain
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby BlueBandit24 » Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:49 pm

LoveBoatCaptain wrote:If the Vikings can land a RT in the first, tight end in the 2nd, and safety in the 3rd, I'd be happy.

I just do not see a scenario at this point where the team does not get a DE in the first couple rounds. Udeze is a huge question mark for 2008 and at this point it is likely he will sit the season. Robison is best used in his situational role as a 3rd-down rusher. Edwards regressed last year and is one violation from a year long suspension. James cannot stay on the field and who knows how much more patience the team has with him. Antwan Odom just signed with the Bengals so he is not an option either. The Vikes desperately need an every-down guy who can get to the QB. Without a guy who can consistently rush the passer the defense is not going to be able to take that next step.
BlueBandit24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby LoveBoatCaptain » Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:29 pm

I know we tend to get dogged for not getting pressure on the QB, but I'm more comfortable with James/Robinson/Edwards than I am Cook. I'd rather we address a starting RT in the first round and then possibly go after a DE in the 2nd round. That will allow us to give Cook the backup O-Line spot and mold him into Birk's heir -- which is what he was reportedly drafted for in the first place.
LoveBoatCaptain
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby BlueBandit24 » Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:39 pm

I've updated my own personal wish. (I know everyone was waiting with baited breath. :-D )

1-Derrick Harvey
2-Chris Williams
3-Brandon Albert
4-Brian Brohm
5-Desean Jackson

I like the position we are in. We have options, and we could be in a position to trade down a bit if somebody is looking to trade up a lock up a player. I expect the pick to be along one of the lines but they were not afraid to go BPA last year. I throw Jackson on the list for his return abilities, along with the fact that he could be a weapon out of the slot.
BlueBandit24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Return to Minnesota Vikings